Start by marking “Ice Cream King” as Want to Read:
Ice Cream King

Ice Cream King

For as long as he can remember, Lionel has wanted two things: all the ice cream he can eat and the best job in the world-to be a king would be nice. Lionel even goes to King School and studies hard to be the best monarch possible. Imagine his shock when he finds out that the job of king isn't something any ordinary boy can apply for. Just when it seems that he'll never get ...more
Published July 1st 1999 by Fitzhenry & Whiteside (first published May 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Ice Cream King, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ice Cream King

Jul 02, 2016 Kate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-fiction
I read this one for storytime today in honor of Ice Cream Month. It's a fun, but longer read than usual for this format.
Jul 19, 2016 Monica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When you know what you like and want, and are willing to work for might be a good idea to have a clear understanding of the workings of your desire.

This brought up a nice conversation with my little guy on the meaning of a phone number no longer being in service. I love when books cause a spark of curiosity for my son about something I never had the need or thought to explain to him before.
Kathleen Ruff
Mar 31, 2011 Kathleen Ruff rated it liked it
Shelves: just-for-fun
Tells the story of an imaginative little boy that loved ice cream and decided he needed the perfect job in order to have ice cream all day so he and his dog, Prince, went off to "So you want to be a king school". In his imaginary world he graduated from king school and off he went to find the perfect job. This book was a good read.
The story in this is funny and "compelling" enough that it would work for a storytime. Yet that would prevent some of the humor that an up-close read provides. But I think any child of any age would appreciate the humor in a kid applying to be a king.
Apr 08, 2008 Cheryl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a fantastic allegory for aimed at those who think education is the ticket to Nirvana. I got it for my husband when he graduated from Harvard Business School.
Melissa rated it really liked it
Jun 30, 2012
Gabe rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2013
Rachel Rouleau
Rachel Rouleau rated it it was ok
Jan 11, 2016
Isabella rated it liked it
Jul 18, 2013
Morgan rated it it was amazing
Oct 09, 2016
C.M rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2013