Start by marking “Whales Passing” as Want to Read:

3.38 of 5 stars 3.38  ·  rating details  ·  55 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Acclaimed author Eve Bunting and illustrator Lambert Davis tell a simple story of a boy and his dad who watch from the shore as Orca whales swim by and imagine the pod's underwater life.

A young boy stands on the beach with his father. As they watch the surf, a pod of Orca whales swim by. After wondering aloud whether the whales can talk like he does, the boy then imagines
Published May 1st 2003 by Blue Sky Press

To ask other readers questions about Whales Passing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Whales Passing

Kathryn
Jan 06, 2009 Kathryn rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of Orca whales
3.5 stars. Nothing especially amazing here, although I suppose if one really loves orca whales then it's cool to have a picture book about them and the author's note at the end gives some good scientific info on the whales, although nothing new to me. The pictures are good, realistic and the blues are gorgeous.
Megan
I've always loved Orca, but I think this book does a nice job of providing info about the animals, without focusing on them being "killer whales" as a lot of people have come to know them. It also provides a good amount of background information, to utilize as an intro for discussion, or a follow-up to reading the book. I prefer the latter, and have found this to work best. It provides a great way to engage the students in learning new facts and words, while also allowing you to informally asses ...more
Julie Suzanne
Apr 15, 2009 Julie Suzanne rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Parents to read with their child.
Recommended to Julie by: I'm into Eve Bunting, lately, and reading everything I can find
A kid watches the whales and asks questions (some good examples of metaphor), and then imagines & wonders the conversation of the whales when they saw the boy (shift in point of view). The kid then imagines how he'll teach his mom what he learned today about orcas (future tense). Overall, a cute story but also presented an opportunity to explore these different literary elements. Touches on the themes of respect for other creatures and "to each his own" (the whales are amazed that humans don ...more
Lde212_06
Eve Bunting
Grade: 1
Content:
> Describes the characteristics and basic needs of a killer whale

This book describes the characteristics of killer whales. As students in the 1st grade begin to discuss the characteristics of animals, the teacher can use this book to show how the father and son observe the whales and their behavior patterns. Students can then discuss some of the characteristics of the killer whales and other animals.
Eva Leger
Jul 27, 2010 Eva Leger rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommended to Eva by: library
Shelves: julias-books
We weren't especially impressed with this. As with any parent I've read Bunting books with my daughter and I don't remember being this disenchanted with any of them. This was rather boring if I'm honest.
The pictures are nice. Unless you're kid is totally infatuated with whales, and I mean so infatuated that every waking moment is filled with whale talk and whale thoughts pass it by. She has others worth reading that aren't nearly as boring.
Lana Clifton
Father and son stand to watch a pod of Orca whales passing. The young boy thoughtfully considers the language of whales. Beautiful illustrations and informative text weave two varying perspectives-- that of the whale, and that of the boy. Perfect book for ocean lovers or to compliment any life science unit in early elementary grades.
Brittany L.
Whales Passing is a great informational book for young readers. It includes a lot of vocabulary words that would make for a great discussion about whales. (Pod, Orca, Calf, Blubber, etc.) It is a very simple picture book with lots of rhyming, making it fun to read. This book would be great for a science unit!
Libby
Not my favorite of Eve Bunting's, but still a nice story about a boy and his father watching a pod of orca whales pass. It was very lyrical, almost too much for my taste, but the pictures were beautiful and I like that there is more information about orcas on the last page.
Anne
Lovely illustrations of orca whales, sure looks like it is set in the Pacific Northwest. Text is minimal and a bit dreamy/vahue. Helpful informational page at the end.
Finny
Mommy says: Neat to read about orca as we plan a trip to Vancouver Island, where they will be a common sight.
Jo
Bright and pretty illustrations but not the most interesting or exciting of stories.
Heather
very poetic, but kind of melancholy
Pass on this one. Dull.
Pearse
Pearse marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Tiffany Thomason
Tiffany Thomason marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Amanda Funnell
Amanda Funnell marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
Noelle
Noelle marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2014
Maxwell
Maxwell marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
19126
Also known as Evelyn Bolton and A.E. Bunting.

Anne Evelyn Bunting, better known as Eve Bunting, is an author with more than 250 books. Her books are diverse in age groups, from picture books to chapter books, and topic, ranging from Thanksgiving to riots in Los Angeles. Eve Bunting has won several awards for her works.

Bunting went to school in Ireland and grew up with storytelling. In Ireland, “The
More about Eve Bunting...
Smoky Night Fly Away Home The Wall S.O.S. Titanic Scary, Scary Halloween