Start by marking “The Whale” as Want to Read:
The Whale

The Whale (The Lighthouse Family #2)

Pandora, Seabold, Whistler, Lila, and Tiny have all been enjoying the love and comfort that being a family brings. It is a comfort they are unexpectedly reminded of when Whistler and Lila hear the cries of a lonely baby beluga whale named Sebastian. When they learn that he has lost his mama, the Lighthouse Family, with the help of a cranky but noble old cormorant named Huc ...more
Published September 1st 2004 by Beach Lane Books (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Whale, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Whale

Kristel
Newberry medal-winning author Cynthia Rylant crafts a series about an unusual family living in a lighthouse. Pandora the cat fills a mother's shoes, Seabold the dog acts as a father figure and 3 young mice--Whistler, Lila and Tiny--round out the makeshift family. Living by the coast, this family encounters many new faces and adventures. This particular adventure involves a lost baby whale. Whistler and Lila set out to find his mother, with the help of a crotchety bird called Huck. This tale is f ...more
Jessie
Sep 15, 2014 Jessie rated it it was amazing
So many times at the public library parents would ask me for chapter books that were similar to the classics but devoid of some of the difficult content that comes along with classics (like racism, sexism, all the other isms we try to avoid with our itty bitty children). They wanted gentle tales with challenging vocabulary but nothing violent or scary or overly sad. And every time I gave them The Lighthouse Family. It doesn't get better than this.

The peril is mild and when the children (some orp
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
A beautiful, charming little tale of how Whistler and Lila set off to look for an adventure on an ordinary day, and find a lost Beluga whale calf who's been separated from his pod. As orphans themselves, they know how important finding your mother is! With a little help from their friends, they go out to search for Mama Honey.

Artwork and story combine to create an enchanting world of family warmth and gentle adventure. I can't recommend this series highly enough. I love Seabold, the brave marine
Maryanne
Aug 23, 2009 Maryanne rated it really liked it
Read the 1st book in the Lighthouse Family series, The Storm, and found it quite charming. Rylant's use of sophisticated vocabulary and techniques for building suspense make The Storm a useful book for teaching these techniques to my students. The Whale is a very sweet book and the illustrations by Preston McDaniels are a perfect match for the tone of the books. The series is a perfect ready for chapters book or would make a fine read aloud for 5 year olds.
Julie
Jun 30, 2009 Julie rated it really liked it
A sweet story that is good for early chapter readers (not long and with lots of pictures). This is the second story in the series which need not be read in order about a mixed animal family. They have adventures and they have the safety of home and loved ones. We are getting the other books on audio tape so the younger kids can listen in the car...and other books by Cynthia Rylant look like good bets for uplifting material for children.
Stephanie
Jun 26, 2009 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
The lighthouse family series is a wonderful series.
My two children and I read it several years ago and just this year 2009, I read the first book, THE STORM to my son's third grade class.
I recommend this series not only for the great story line but for the illustrations and the whole presentation of the books.
CyndiJacobAna Jacob
Apr 29, 2009 CyndiJacobAna Jacob rated it it was amazing
I'm reading these with my six year old daughter. We love the illustrations and the story telling style of Cynthia Rylant is in my top favorites. Even her older brother would stop what he was reading and listen in on the story. There is a sweetness in this series that will leave a special memory shared between us.
Shelli
This is another fantastic sweet tale written in a classic style by Cynthia Rylant. Rylant's words paint a beautiful picture for the mind while the illustrator, Preston McDaniels, does equally well with the visual. Children will love this story and ask to hear it again and again due to the colorful and nicely developed characters.
SchoolinginPajamas
Feb 24, 2015 SchoolinginPajamas rated it liked it
Shelves: chapter-books
This is the second book in the series and is as delightful as the first one. We are using this as a silent reading book in school. My youngest enjoys the stories and it is easy for him to read with only a few difficult words. As mom, I like it because it a clean book and represents good values. It is good to know I set him to read it and not worry about the content.
Cassiejoan
This one was such an enjoyable read aloud. Captured the kids imagination, beautiful pictures, and a very pleasant read aloud memory. We will be reading more from this series, for sure! These would make a great intro to chapter books as the chapters are very short with frequent pictures still.
Janetkc7wvy
Sep 12, 2013 Janetkc7wvy rated it really liked it
The story continues and new characters are added. We liked old Huck, the cormorant, also. I loved the pictures of him with glasses on. The story says "But even though Huck liked no one he would help anyone." Some people are like Huck and are always grumpy but have a very kind heart.
Bvlmc Buchanan Verplanck Elementary School
A story that full of warmth and caring. Two young mice befriend a baby beluga whale who has lost his mother. Aided by a comerant, the two young mice fly over the ocean searching for a pod of beluga whales in order to reunite the baby whale with his mother.
Logan
May 31, 2010 Logan rated it liked it
Shelves: cat-related, own
Logan enjoys these, but I think he's gotten to the point where this kind of short book doesn't interest him as much. We've been reading much more complex and longer books. Still, he likes the characters, especially the cat, and I think we'll go ahead and read them all.
Sheena
Jan 24, 2011 Sheena rated it liked it
Shelves: read-to-kids
My 5 year old enjoyed this. I expected it to be longer, but with pictures every other page, it was a very, very quick read. The pictures are really nice, though. Cute story.
Bianca!
Nov 22, 2009 Bianca! rated it it was amazing
There is a baby beluga and he gets lost without his Mother, her name is Honey. But The Lighthouse Family comes to the rescue!
Arline Erven
Nov 24, 2015 Arline Erven rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a sweet story!!
Barbara
Jul 07, 2015 Barbara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet gentle story.
Mckinley
Oct 17, 2014 Mckinley rated it it was ok
The story is ok. There was something about the characters and setting that I didn't appreciate; I wont be reading others in the series.
Theresa
Jul 23, 2011 Theresa rated it really liked it
The Whale
Rylant, Cynthia
a story of a family that comes together by chance use the friends they have made to help a beluga whale calf returned to his mother
Tricia
Mar 23, 2009 Tricia rated it really liked it
Very sweet story, even appealed to my rowdy 5yo boy. We'll be checking out more in this Lighthouse Family series.
Harry
Mar 17, 2010 Harry rated it really liked it
Good/easy chapter book to read with the girls. They looked forward to each day's addition to the story. The kindergarten set can tackle it with help.
Sophie Kitchen
Jul 14, 2015 Sophie Kitchen rated it it was amazing
I liked the happy ending when the mother whale (honey) found her baby Sebastian .I also liked the difference in the characters personality though they were all willing to help.
Aug 12, 2013 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
The kids loved cranky old Huck.
Alison Strumbeck
Dec 08, 2011 Alison Strumbeck rated it it was amazing
Cute sequel with a summertime theme.
Debra
Debra rated it really liked it
Mar 24, 2016
Newbury Town Library Youth Services
The series continues on in its gentle and lovely manner. We're going to read them all and happily!
Karen
Karen rated it liked it
Jul 14, 2008
Clarissa
Clarissa rated it really liked it
Feb 24, 2009
Rosebengal
Rosebengal rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Horrible Harry Goes to Sea
  • Jenny Goes to Sea
  • Twig
  • Buggy Breakout (Nancy Drew and the Clue Crew, #25)
  • Nate the Great and the Tardy Tortoise
  • Abracadabra! Magic with Mouse and Mole
  • Good Luck, Anna Hibiscus! (Anna Hibiscus, #3)
  • Dodsworth in New York
  • Lady Lollipop
  • Violet Mackerel's Natural Habitat (Violet Mackerel, #3)
  • Emmy and the Rats in the Belfry
  • Thanksgiving Turkey Trouble (Ready, Freddy!, #15)
  • Ben Franklin and the Magic Squares
An author of fiction, nonfiction, and poetry for children and young adults as well as an author and author/illustrator of picture books for children, Cynthia Rylant is recognized as a gifted writer who has contributed memorably to several genres of juvenile literature. A prolific author who often bases her works on her own background, especially on her childhood in the West Virginia mountains, she ...more
More about Cynthia Rylant...

The Lighthouse Family (7 books)
  • The Storm
  • The Eagle
  • The Turtle
  • The Octopus
  • The Otter
  • The Sea Lion (Lighthouse Family)