Start by marking “The Whale” as Want to Read:
The Whale

The Whale (The Lighthouse Family #2)

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  108 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Pandora, Seabold, Whistler, Lila, and Tiny have all been enjoying the love and comfort that being a family brings. It is a comfort they are unexpectedly reminded of when Whistler and Lila hear the cries of a lonely baby beluga whale named Sebastian. When they learn that he has lost his mama, the Lighthouse Family, with the help of a cranky but noble old cormorant named Huc ...more
Published September 1st 2004 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Whale, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Whale

Kristel
Newberry medal-winning author Cynthia Rylant crafts a series about an unusual family living in a lighthouse. Pandora the cat fills a mother's shoes, Seabold the dog acts as a father figure and 3 young mice--Whistler, Lila and Tiny--round out the makeshift family. Living by the coast, this family encounters many new faces and adventures. This particular adventure involves a lost baby whale. Whistler and Lila set out to find his mother, with the help of a crotchety bird called Huck. This tale is f ...more
Mckinley
The story is ok. There was something about the characters and setting that I didn't appreciate; I wont be reading others in the series.
Maryanne
Read the 1st book in the Lighthouse Family series, The Storm, and found it quite charming. Rylant's use of sophisticated vocabulary and techniques for building suspense make The Storm a useful book for teaching these techniques to my students. The Whale is a very sweet book and the illustrations by Preston McDaniels are a perfect match for the tone of the books. The series is a perfect ready for chapters book or would make a fine read aloud for 5 year olds.
Julie
A sweet story that is good for early chapter readers (not long and with lots of pictures). This is the second story in the series which need not be read in order about a mixed animal family. They have adventures and they have the safety of home and loved ones. We are getting the other books on audio tape so the younger kids can listen in the car...and other books by Cynthia Rylant look like good bets for uplifting material for children.
Shelli
This is another fantastic sweet tale written in a classic style by Cynthia Rylant. Rylant's words paint a beautiful picture for the mind while the illustrator, Preston McDaniels, does equally well with the visual. Children will love this story and ask to hear it again and again due to the colorful and nicely developed characters.
Stephanie
The lighthouse family series is a wonderful series.
My two children and I read it several years ago and just this year 2009, I read the first book, THE STORM to my son's third grade class.
I recommend this series not only for the great story line but for the illustrations and the whole presentation of the books.
CyndiJacobAna Jacob
I'm reading these with my six year old daughter. We love the illustrations and the story telling style of Cynthia Rylant is in my top favorites. Even her older brother would stop what he was reading and listen in on the story. There is a sweetness in this series that will leave a special memory shared between us.
Janetkc7wvy
The story continues and new characters are added. We liked old Huck, the cormorant, also. I loved the pictures of him with glasses on. The story says "But even though Huck liked no one he would help anyone." Some people are like Huck and are always grumpy but have a very kind heart.
Logan
Logan enjoys these, but I think he's gotten to the point where this kind of short book doesn't interest him as much. We've been reading much more complex and longer books. Still, he likes the characters, especially the cat, and I think we'll go ahead and read them all.
Bvlmc Buchanan Verplanck Elementary School
A story that full of warmth and caring. Two young mice befriend a baby beluga whale who has lost his mother. Aided by a comerant, the two young mice fly over the ocean searching for a pod of beluga whales in order to reunite the baby whale with his mother.
Sheena
My 5 year old enjoyed this. I expected it to be longer, but with pictures every other page, it was a very, very quick read. The pictures are really nice, though. Cute story.
Harry
Good/easy chapter book to read with the girls. They looked forward to each day's addition to the story. The kindergarten set can tackle it with help.
Theresa
a story of a family that comes together by chance use the friends they have made to help a beluga whale calf returned to his mother
Bianca
There is a baby beluga and he gets lost without his Mother, her name is Honey. But The Lighthouse Family comes to the rescue!
Tricia
Very sweet story, even appealed to my rowdy 5yo boy. We'll be checking out more in this Lighthouse Family series.
Newbury Town Library Youth Services
The series continues on in its gentle and lovely manner. We're going to read them all and happily!
The kids loved cranky old Huck.
Alison Strumbeck
Cute sequel with a summertime theme.
C
We're enjoying this series.
Sylvia Riedisser
Sylvia Riedisser marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Sienna
Sienna marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Linda Wright
Linda Wright marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
FanficofBooks
FanficofBooks marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Manderly
Manderly marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Jessie
Jessie marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Aijea
Aijea marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
An author of fiction, nonfiction, and poetry for children and young adults as well as an author and author/illustrator of picture books for children, Cynthia Rylant is recognized as a gifted writer who has contributed memorably to several genres of juvenile literature. A prolific author who often bases her works on her own background, especially on her childhood in the West Virginia mountains, she ...more
More about Cynthia Rylant...
The Relatives Came Missing May When I Was Young in the Mountains Henry and Mudge: The First Book (Henry and Mudge, #1) Old Town in the Green Groves: Laura Ingalls Wilder's Lost Little House Years