Start by marking “Radar, Hula Hoops and Playful Pigs: 67 Digestible Commentaries on the Fascinating Chemistry of Everyday Life” as Want to Read:

Have you ever wondered about the science behind Alice’s strange adventures in Wonderland, Casanova’s experiments with "Spanish Fly," and zombies in Haiti? In Radar, Hula Hoops, and Playful Pigs, chemist and columnist Dr. Joe Schwarcz offers 67 entertaining essays exploring these and other delightful nooks and crannies of chemistry.

Investigate the nefarious chemistry of the
Published August 30th 2001 by W. H. Freeman (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Radar, Hula Hoops and Playful Pigs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Radar, Hula Hoops and Playful Pigs

Sarahb
Jun 06, 2016 Sarahb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After reading this book, I would give it a rating of 4.5 out of a possible 5 stars. I gave it this rating due to the fact that my overall feeling while and after reading this book was pretty positive. The book looked at the chemistry of everyday items and went into explanation about how they worked. Also, the book picked topics that were interesting and would keep the reader interested during every short story, along with having a story for everyone. (Such as; Science behind Alice in Wonderland, ...more
Blablabla Aleatório
Desde que eu era pequena, a química me fascina. Eu acreditava que misturar xampus e condicionadores no banheiro era algo mágico e passei muitas tardes com meu irmão aprontando dessas travessuras. Um dos meus maiores traumas é não ter tido um kit alquimia quando era criança. Todo esse amor me fez escolher Química como curso na faculdade e os livros que descrevem a química no dia-a-dia são os meus favoritos, ganhando de todos os romances históricos que podem aparecer por aí. Assim, não é de surpre ...more
Joe
Apr 15, 2013 Joe rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book has been on my to-read list since I started keeping the current poorly-maintained version in 1999; it's designed to popularize chemistry and science for the masses, and the author, Dr. Joe Schwarcz, has apparently gone on to do about new book a year since then.

I found it strange, though, that the book's introduction includes a page or two slagging the portrayal of scientists in kids' shows Bill Nye "Science Guy" and "Beakman's World." Dr. Schwarcz felt that science was interesting enou
Andrew
Apr 11, 2010 Andrew rated it liked it
Shelves: my-library
This book is a good and easy read. Schwartz clearly knows his science. The overall point he makes about science being a process of uncovering new incremental discoveries is a great idea which cannot be emphasized enough. What left me wanting more, though, was that he rarely described the evidence science has to back up its claims. In an effort to reach the general public, he leaves out the details that makes science what it is: a continual quest for knowledge of how the universe works. I wanted ...more
Randy
Dec 09, 2010 Randy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good, but I liked "Genie in the Bottle" better. The latter had more stories about things you could relate to better. Radar was very good though, don't get me wrong. It's a great going to bed book because each section is so short. And they are very interesting so you stay awake - for a science/history book it won't put you to sleep. All the facts about food are very insightful and Dr.Schwarcz's prose is very lively. Bottom line: Read it.
Christine
The first half of the book was really fascinating, but I found the second half dragged on for me. It may be because I was tired of the genre and chemistry though, not because the 2nd half was any different than the 1st half. Lots of everyday life chemistry that's good to know. "Chemical" is not a bad word. Everything in the universe is made of chemicals, even humans.
Alice
Feb 08, 2008 Alice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review

"Joe Schwarcz has mastered the art of science education as an attention-holding and rewarding experience. In this book he provides a great read, a book you will not want to put down. You will learn a great deal about the world around us while being compelled to read on—it’s an educator’s dream!"
Feb 05, 2009 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just kind of fun...pick it up anytime sort-of-thing.
Luis Brudna
Nov 14, 2011 Luis Brudna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: imp, quimica
O Joe insiste um pouco em desmascarar mitos e lendas, deixando a química em segundo plano em alguns ensaios. Mas nada que prejudique a leitura.
OBS: Li a versão em português.
colleen
May 14, 2007 colleen is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
interesting commentary on relationships between chemistry and every day living! So far I like it!
Jen
Dec 05, 2008 Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great book by Professor Joe Schwarcz. I really loved it.
Helen
Helen rated it really liked it
Oct 05, 2013
Hartley
Hartley rated it liked it
Oct 25, 2009
BeeCharmer13
BeeCharmer13 rated it really liked it
Oct 21, 2015
Niki
Niki rated it really liked it
Oct 28, 2013
Bridget Perry-Gore
Bridget Perry-Gore rated it liked it
Jul 05, 2015
Eric
Eric rated it liked it
May 24, 2017
Joseph Bevitt
Joseph Bevitt rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2014
Ally Sidell
Ally Sidell rated it it was amazing
Mar 30, 2015
Vittorio Saggiomo
Vittorio Saggiomo rated it liked it
May 03, 2015
Jonathan
Jonathan rated it really liked it
Dec 16, 2011
John  Ervin
John Ervin rated it it was amazing
Aug 26, 2009
Lilly
Lilly rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2009
Sripara Krishna
Sripara Krishna rated it it was ok
Nov 02, 2014
Anne Barone
Anne Barone rated it it was amazing
Mar 06, 2013
Juliana
Juliana rated it liked it
Feb 27, 2009
bennu
bennu rated it it was amazing
Sep 14, 2015
Joshua
Joshua rated it really liked it
Dec 16, 2007
Carolyn
Carolyn rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2013
Kelley
Kelley rated it really liked it
Aug 21, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Molecules at an Exhibition: Portraits of Intriguing Materials in Everyday Life
  • The Periodic Kingdom: A Journey into the Land of the Chemical Elements
  • The Joy of Chemistry: The Amazing Science of Familiar Things
  • The Science of Everyday Life
  • The Prism and the Pendulum: The Ten Most Beautiful Experiments in Science
  • How to Dunk a Doughnut: The Science Of Everyday Life
  • A Chemical History of a Candle
  • Molecular Gastronomy: Exploring the Science of Flavor
  • Theo Gray's Mad Science: Experiments You Can Do at Home - But Probably Shouldn't
  • How Bad Are Bananas?: The Carbon Footprint Of Everything
  • 100, 000, 000 Guinea Pigs: Dangers In Everyday Foods, Drugs, And Cosmetics
  • Measuring the Universe: Our Historic Quest to Chart the horizons of Space and Time
  • Le menzogne di Ulisse: l'avventura della logica da Parmenide ad Amartya Sen
  • Plutonium: A History of the World's Most Dangerous Element
  • A Short History of Chemistry (Science Study)
  • Napoleon's Buttons: How 17 Molecules Changed History
  • Master Mind : The Rise and Fall of Fritz Haber, the Nobel Laureate Who Launched the Age of Chemical Warfare
  • The Elements: A Very Short Introduction
Dr. Joe Schwarcz holds a PhD in chemistry and is host of the radio program The Dr. Joe Show, directo of McGill University's Office for Science & Society and the author of fourteen bestselling books. Well known for his informative and entertaining lectures, Dr. Schwarcz has received numerous awards for teaching and deciphering science for the public.
More about Joe Schwarcz...