Start by marking “The Message Psalms” as Want to Read:
The Message Psalms

The Message Psalms

Paraphrased by Peterson in easy-to-read modern English
4 1/8 x 6 1/8 % Font size: 9
Published April 1st 1994 by NavPress Publishing Group (first published March 31st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Message Psalms, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Message Psalms

Douglas Wilson
Peterson has done good work elsewhere, but this kind of thing is really problematic. The Psalms are one of the poetic glories of human civilization, but this rendering is just casual, breezy, and cliche-ridden. Like going to a reception at Buckingham Palace in gym shorts and flip flops.
Andy Hickman
Dec 30, 2016 Andy Hickman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“PSALMS – THE MESSAGE”

The cries of lament are beautifully rephrased and the anger against injustice is expressed in vernacular that I can grasp and heartily agree with.

Psalm 4:7-8
Than they get in all their shopping sprees.
At day’s end I’m ready for sound sleep,
For you, God, have put my life back together.

Psalm 9:9-10
God’s a safe-house for the battered,
    a sanctuary during bad times.
The moment you arrive, you relax;
    you’re never sorry you knocked.

Psalm 10:14
But you know all about it—
    th
Gregory Johnston
Dec 29, 2016 Gregory Johnston rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My Bible reading plan had me go through the Psalms twice. From January to June, I used the HCB, and for July through December I used The Message. While this is a paraphrase, it is fascinating how Peterson takes a modern view and linguistic to ancient songs. In reading them, I heard a modern voice speaking about timeless issues, of hurt, abandonment, pain, joy, worship, and adoration. This year I will be reading through the New Testament multiple times, and the Message will be one of those times.
Tony Roberts
As I started reading Peterson's take on perhaps the greatest collection of poetry ever, I found the language to be unique and refreshing and satisfying. By the time I reached Psalm 72, I found it redundant and stale. I admire his thorough effort to dig into the Psalms and translate them into a modern vernacular. But, The Message does not express the invigorating Good News that other translations do so well.
P. Upshaw
Apr 29, 2016 P. Upshaw rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful GOD inspired Psalms

This Message translation of the Psalms showed them in a new way. They have always been some of my favorite verses, with the comfort of the 23rd, especially. The David psalms are even more understandable and beautiful in this translation. It has joined my daily devotionals and I hope to read and enjoy them again and again.
Maggie
Jan 14, 2017 Maggie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bible
a strong and beautiful daily reading ... going to read proverbs next ... eugene peterson translates these biblical books into modern language and it does make a positive difference in how to understand them
Deborah
Deborah rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2014
Andy B Coon
Andy B Coon rated it it was amazing
Jul 03, 2016
Mrs
Mrs rated it did not like it
Mar 01, 2017
Andrew Haskins
Andrew Haskins rated it it was amazing
Sep 17, 2007
Charles Roberts
Charles Roberts rated it it was amazing
May 06, 2013
Charles
Charles rated it really liked it
Feb 26, 2011
Al
Al rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2009
Jefferson Holbrook
Jefferson Holbrook rated it it was amazing
May 29, 2013
Tim Plett
Tim Plett rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2014
Jason Evans
Jason Evans rated it liked it
Jul 14, 2014
Susan
Susan rated it it was amazing
Dec 22, 2016
Fre
Fre rated it really liked it
Mar 28, 2014
Scott
Scott rated it liked it
Mar 04, 2014
Beth
Beth rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2016
Jason Twombly
Jason Twombly rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2010
Micah
Micah rated it liked it
Sep 01, 2010
Agreenwalt
Agreenwalt rated it really liked it
May 07, 2016
Sverre
Sverre rated it it was amazing
Jul 16, 2013
Clay  Walden
Clay Walden rated it it was amazing
Apr 15, 2014
Pauline Creeden
Pauline Creeden rated it it was amazing
Jul 07, 2011
John
John rated it liked it
Jan 09, 2008
Ron Oltmanns
Ron Oltmanns rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2014
Scott Patton
This version of the psalms is so paraphrased the they lose their poetic rhythm.
Brent
Brent rated it it was amazing
May 06, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
Eugene H. Peterson is a pastor, scholar, author, and poet. For many years he was James M. Houston Professor of Spiritual Theology at Regent College. He also served as founding pastor of Christ Our King Presbyterian Church in Bel Air, Maryland. He has written over thirty books, including Gold Medallion Book Award winner The Message: The Bible in Contemporary Language a contemporary translation of t ...more
More about Eugene H. Peterson...