Startup Communities: Building an Entrepreneurial Ecosystem in Your City

Startup Communities: Building an Entrepreneurial Ecosystem in Your City

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  185 ratings  ·  30 reviews
An essential how-to guide to building supportive entrepreneurial communities"Startup communities" are popping up everywhere. In cities like Montreal, Boston, New York, Chicago, Boulder, and even countries as varied as Wales and Iceland, co-working ecosystems are driving innovation and small business energy. "Startup Communities" documents the buzz, strategy, long-term pers...more
Published September 6th 2012 by John Wiley & Sons (first published January 1st 2012)

Davi Bauer
I liked the reading about startup communities. I'm eager to put into practice some of ideas presented in the book in the technology hub where I work to integrate even more the startup community. A lot of events and activities that we see out there today emerged from the startup community around Boulder, CO. The most part of the book refers to the experience learned from this region.

The main ideas presented in the book was about the leaders and the feeders. The author reinforces that the entrepre...more
Edward Avila
I really enjoyed reading the book. Brad offers 20 years of insight from his very own experience at Boulder, Colorado. He does a great job describing the difference between “feeders” and “leaders” in the startup ecosystem. It also provides a lot of actionable examples and strategies that many can use.

I strongly recommend this book to others who are thinking about building or getting involved in a startup community. Personally, I recently launched an early-stage accelerator name "Manos Accelerato...more
Zbigniew Łukasiak
There is an interesting idea there: the secret sauce of Silicon Valley is that it is a community. In the fierce competition, individualism and libertarian philosophy reigning in the high tech circles it is the help that the entrepreneurs receive from each other that is the key ingredient of a successful startup ecology. This would be a good explanation of why it is so difficult to copy the success of Silicon Valley elsewhere (and especially in Poland - I guess), and why the various government pr...more
Geremy
Fantastic book. I really appreciated the real world examples Mr. Feld provided as well as how he engaged the greater global startup community to augment the book with stories, insights, and experiences.

There are two concepts that will definitely stick with me for years to come. The first, and my personal favorite, is that you must, "Give before you get." This statement's power is in its simplicity. I believe it is how I've tried to live my professional (and personal) life and seeing it spelled o...more
James Estes
This book could be subtitled: "Welcome to the Boulder Startup Community!" I recommend it to anyone interested in Startup Communities, but also anyone interested in learning more about Boulder itself. It was fun to read about people I know personally, and companies I've worked for and to learn more about the state of the startup community in Boulder. Feld does a really good job of painting the "What is Working" and to some extent "Why it's working" in Boulder. The book doesn't really have specifi...more
Nic Brisbourne
This is a good practical book which identifies the key elements of a successful startup community and describes how to build one.

The keys:
- lead by entrepreneurs who are passionate about the success of startups in their community and are prepared to work at it for the long term
- open and inclusive attitude (everyone helps everyone else because what goes around comes around)
- have lots of events (meetups, hackathons, seminars, competitions, cocktail parties, etc.)
- have a strong and supportiv...more
Karlo Mikhail
A cross between a feel-good inspirational book and a how to guide but centered on the world of tech startups. Great as an overview about so-called 'startup communities' but many of its propositions are too enmeshed in neoliberal illusions of a digital utopia and the farce of the free market to be taken seriously.
Kihong Bae
I like Brad Feld and how he invests in startups but the book could have been better. As with the reviews from a lot of other readers, there is too much stuff on Boulder. I guess it's okay because he mentions it several times in the book that his main experiences are with Boulder.

The book so far (I've read about half) has been good. Lots of interesting contents and stories if you are interested in building a startup community in a place that is not Silicon Valley.

I am from Seoul, Korea and am an...more
Brandon Houston
This book is a fantastic introduction of how to create a startup community in any city. It could loosely act as a guide on how to build a startup community and promote entrepreneurialism but I see it more as an inspirational piece. As a strong advocate for entrepreneurship myself, I found it incredibly helpful in describing the steps that the author took in building a community in his town and how others have done it as well. It's refreshed my outlook of entrepreneurship and charged my interest...more
James Slifierz
Feb 22, 2013 James Slifierz rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Entrepreneurs, Investors, Mentors, Anybody interested in the startup community
Brad Feld's book Startup Communities is an excellent anecdotal look into the makings of a vibrant startup community. The lessons are valuable and practical. The book is written in a manner much similar to your typical startup blog. This means the reading is easy yet insightful. My one small knock on the book has to do with the guest writings. While they offer great substance to the book I found they tended to interrupt the flow of reading. Also, for those who have the ebook version, the print f...more
Joshua Steimle
Brad's books are always full of practical ideas that can be instantly applied if you're trying to do what he's describing, and Startup Communities is no exception. If you want to build or support a startup community in your area, this book lays it out for you, at least from a high level. If I have any criticism it's that the book could have been 2-3 times as long and have included a lot more detail. Then again, then maybe it wouldn't get read as much nor have as much of an impact. I just wish th...more
William
Excellent overview of startup communities and the good and bad approaches.
Daniel Cukier
This book is awesome! Brad writes very well. It is an easy and clear reading. If you love startups and want to learn ways to engage your community, this is a must read.

The arguments in the book are not so scientific, but this do not diminish the value.

There are many testimonials of entrepreneurs in this book. Brad makes sure to put the twitter username of this guys, so it is also a great opportunity to reach some great people and start making connections.
Austin Storm
Given the specificity of this book (encouraging the formation and growth of venture-funded type startups) I thought it would go deeper. The chapter on the differences between government and entrepreneurship (the difference between hierarchy / institutional thinking and network thinking) was good, but most of the chapters were written by the authors friends to describe their respective roles in the Boulder startup community. Very surface-level introduction.
Mariella
This is a pretty basic book on Boulder Colorado's startup community. Its mostly anecdotes about entrepreneur events and entrepreneurs themselves. It comes with a load of ideas about possible events that we might be able to use at the library, even though its very anti-government. Anyone can be an entrepreneur but to build a community of them anywhere can be a challenge.
Jesterjoker
Jun 26, 2013 Jesterjoker marked it as business  ·  review of another edition
Fast, surprisingly educational book. I started reading it to give myself ideas for the book that I'm currently writing and found a lot of suggestions for getting a writing community going.

Writing and business? Surely I jest! Nah, business is at least as important a part of my writing as the actual creativity itself. My ideal community of writers would have writers who are also businesspeople. This gave me ideas on ways I could help to see that happen.
Alfiero  Santarelli
This book is a must-read for those who care about startup communities, absolutely boring for anyone else. It's a collection of practical cases and interviews to startup community organizers and event creators, creating a set of best practices for how to start and foster this kind of environment. Here and there it also betrays a strong US-style mindset. In short, take it as a self-help book or a practical manual.
Mike
Includes some very good ideas for building a creative and inclusive entrepreneurial culture within a community. These entrepreneurial cultures don't happen overnight -- it's a long process that requires investment of energy over time, which is one of the themes within the book.
Karen Schulman dupuis
A good overview of hits & misses in what makes a thriving startup community. I wish there was more than just lip service re: diversity & inclusivity since there was only one woman quoted/profiled throughout the entire book.
Mike Smith
Must read for anyone interested in the Startup world. Field provides advice that is incredibly easy to act upon to immerse oneself in the ecosystem. I have given this book as a gift to friends and family.
Dondi Hananto
Jakarta will never be Silicon Valley, but we may well be Boulder in 20 years. Let's learn from the guy who kicked off the Boulder entrepreneurship scene
Aditya

Good book. Great deal of similarity between what Brad says and what we have been doing in India. Gave me some food for thought too
Laura Gekeler
I loved his advice for a community where entrepreneurship thrives. He says, "Embrace weirdness."

Now to discover whether Michiana can do that...
Rick
A good how to guide on how to help your city become a tech mecca. Got a little repetitive, but still, did the trick. Play your part and all that.
Abdallah

Excellent book and gets right to the point. It provides a clear layout for what needs to be done to build a startup community.
Grace Simrall
The advice to allow startup communities to grow/die organically was the key takeaway for me: Skip events that do not add value to you!
Matthew Tuerk
very nice read. gives a person in "government" a lot to think about when attempting to help a community of entrepreneurs
Andy
Absolutely critical information for those who will lead the next generation out of the desert. Passion > Geography.
Ian Korman
Excellent book on the topic. However, I little heavy on the anecdotal information about Boulder.
  • Do More Faster: Techstars Lessons to Accelerate Your Startup
  • The Founder's Dilemmas: Anticipating and Avoiding the Pitfalls That Can Sink a Startup
  • The Startup Owner's Manual: The Step-By-Step Guide for Building a Great Company
  • The Impact Equation: Are You Making Things Happen or Just Making Noise?
  • Future Perfect: The Case for Progress in a Networked Age
  • Grouped: How Small Groups of Friends Are the Key to Influence on the Social Web
  • Running Lean: Iterate from Plan A to a Plan That Works
  • Once You're Lucky, Twice You're Good: The Rebirth of Silicon Valley and the Rise of Web 2.0
  • Tell to Win: Connect, Persuade, and Triumph with the Hidden Power of Story
  • Open Leadership: How Social Technology Can Transform the Way You Lead
  • The Dragonfly Effect: Quick, Effective, and Powerful Ways to Use Social Media to Drive Social Change
  • The Click Moment: Seizing Opportunity in an Unpredictable World
  • Smart Cities: Big Data, Civic Hackers, and the Quest for a New Utopia
  • The Start-Up of You: Adapt to the Future, Invest in Yourself, and Transform Your Career
  • A More Beautiful Question: The Power of Inquiry to Spark Breakthrough Ideas
  • Keith Haring Journals
  • Makers: The New Industrial Revolution
  • The Billionaire Who Wasn't: How Chuck Feeney Secretly Made and Gave Away a Fortune
Venture Deals: Be Smarter Than Your Lawyer and Venture Capitalist Startup Life: Surviving and Thriving in a Relationship with an Entrepreneur Burning Entrepreneur: How to Launch, Fund, and Set Your Startup on Fire Startup Boards: Getting the Most Out of Your Board of Directors Startup Boards: Reinventing the Board of Directors to Better Support the Entrepreneur

“rhetorical appeal to make the local research university the next—and you can fill in the” 0 likes