Start by marking “Etsy-Preneurship: Everything You Need to Know to Turn Your Handmade Hobby Into a Thriving Business” as Want to Read:

Turn your handmade hobby into a thriving businessMost Etsy sellers are confident in their crafting and artistic capabilities. However, many need guidance on the business-related intricacies of starting and maintaining a successful Etsy business. "Etsy-preneurship" helps existing and potential Etsy sellers understand the business fundamentals needed to become a small busine ...more
Published September 21st 2012 by Wiley (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Etsy-Preneurship, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Etsy-Preneurship

Debbie
Jan 30, 2015 Debbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Very practical and useful guide into selling your crafts online, primarily aimed at Etsy marketplace, but can be adapted to any of the online sites. It comes with links to the website to download further forms and support with business planning and management.

It is written from a US based perspective, so a lot of the tax information is irrelevant to UK based businesses. However, the financial advice and guidance is very helpful. Glad I read it, now to put it all into practice. Looks like I'm doi
Katie
Very good resource. I learned a lot of general business principles as well as Etsy-specific tips. After reading, I feel extremely empowered.
Delia Worley, CPA
Feb 04, 2016 Delia Worley, CPA rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Outdated but still useful for beginners

I opened my Etsy shop in 2011 but didn't do much with it for years. In 2014 I started my own natural makeup company with my own website. Etsy didn't even cross my mind at the time. Well I learned quickly that my own website was way more time-consuming for me with a toddler to care for as well. I let my website go late 2015 and went back to my etsy shop.

I got a few sales over the months but nothing to brag about. Then I started taking webinars and reading b
Beth
Mar 12, 2013 Beth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book would be best for people new to selling on Etsy. It gives a nice overview of starting an online Etsy business, although information on many topics was pretty brief. The author does his best job covering sections on bookkeeping, taxes and handling the financial parts of running an Etsy business - which is probably not the strong suit of most Etsy shop owners who are mostly crafters, artists, or those selling vintage items. In fact the author's Etsy business is advising shop owners about ...more
Sabina De Matteo
Sep 15, 2015 Sabina De Matteo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this book seemed to me real and in depth. if you're interested in starting an etsy business, read this. it's a relatively quick read and you can tell the author is dedicated to helping you succeed. he gives you everything you need to know about starting a business on etsy for real. I learned that my idea probably won't work and that I don't think I have the right passion to really give it a go. HOWEVER to someone who really does have the drive, this will give you a step by step plan, as if you w ...more
Galen Orosco
Mar 20, 2013 Galen Orosco rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love it because it focused on the actual business of running an Etsy shop. Either other books on Etsy touched on numbers and business briefly or not at all. They focused on the creative side while this book is all about numbers and business. If that makes sense. I also like that the author has provided excel templates for what the chapter is referring too.

I would definitely recommend this to anyone who's starting out on Etsy (or any site or a crafting business in general).
Krista
Aug 13, 2016 Krista rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book seems very complete in all the details that one would need to start an Etsy business. Very detailed tax and money information. All the details that I would overlook. I like that there were work sheets on each chapter too. This is probably something that I would need to invest in if I were to tackle this endeavor. The only downside, is that now I that know what *should* be done to start a business, I don't know if I have either the time or skills to start one.
AlmieMeg
Jul 25, 2016 AlmieMeg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Excellent book for anyone seeking to start a business regardless of whether it is an Etsy business. My only constructive criticism would be that a few of the exercises were a bit cumbersome to access and a few were a bit too basic and perhaps unnecessary. But overall it was very encouraging and chocked full of ideas that can be further evaluated to fit a new business. The use of personal examples gave the book a great deal of credibility.
Mary
Jan 29, 2013 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crafting, business, uq
This book includes a lot of practical information about the nuts and bolts of running a business on Etsy. The writing style is friendly and approachable, but business-like. There are exercises to do in many of the chapters and additional information online to supplement the chapters. I read the book through without doing the exercises, but I plan to go back and work through them.
Jenny D.
Nov 12, 2015 Jenny D. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is very helpful as far as the nuts and bolts of running a creative business, and being realistic about that business. It covers all the practical details (like taxes and budgets) and makes a good resource. Perhaps not as "fun" as some of the other creative business books,but something you should read if you want to try to make money with a hobby.
Maryanne Gobble
It was very basic and the download password in the book didn't work. Yet it was still helpful, easy to read, and well organized in a way that I could skip around and read only what was applicable. The links in the book to other websites led me to a lot of useful information.
Stephanie
Apr 22, 2016 Stephanie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Yes, contemplating an Etsy store. He has a lot of extras available on his website, forms and such, that he mentions a lot. But good general information on starting a new business, which can be useful for any type of business, not just Etsy.
Shannon
Aug 28, 2013 Shannon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
This books was especially valuable for it's information and resources on taxes and finances. I'd recommend it if you're thinking of opening an Etsy shop or any other business like it.
Wendyjune
Such a good insight into etsy and getting your creative business organised and taken seriously. Loved it, and keep referring to it.
Steph Orange
Jun 09, 2014 Steph Orange rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book for a new creator to start and do things right. I am really looking forward to applying the marketing information, as that's where I need to improve an existing shop.
Alicia
Feb 09, 2015 Alicia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very helpful tax information for those who are looking for a little guidance, especially those operating as sole proprietors.
Deborah
Nov 13, 2012 Deborah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was helpful. Lots of solid information and specific recommendations. I haven't downloaded anything from the website, yet - I may still do that.

mrsrou
mrsrou rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2016
Rachel
Rachel rated it it was amazing
Mar 05, 2014
Elie
Elie rated it really liked it
Oct 04, 2016
Ruth
Ruth rated it liked it
Oct 24, 2013
Tarryn
Tarryn rated it it was amazing
Nov 21, 2015
Ann Addley
Good book lots of tips
Mary Andrada
Mary Andrada rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2015
Stellaluna
Stellaluna rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2016
Jean
Jean rated it really liked it
Dec 02, 2016
(Jen) The Artist Librarian
(Jen) The Artist Librarian rated it really liked it
Dec 10, 2015
Janet Skiles
Janet Skiles rated it it was amazing
Jul 17, 2014
Lesley
Lesley rated it liked it
Aug 31, 2014
Hannahlily
Hannahlily rated it really liked it
Feb 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • How to Sell Your Crafts Online: A Step-by-Step Guide to Successful Sales on Etsy and Beyond
  • Grow Your Handmade Business: How to Envision, Develop, and Sustain a Successful Creative Business
  • The Power Formula for LinkedIn Success: Kick-start Your Business, Brand, and Job Search
  • Etsy 101: Sell Your Crafts on Etsy, the DIY Marketplace for Handmade, Vintage and Crafting Supplies
  • Craft, Inc.: Turn Your Creative Hobby into a Business
  • Handmade to Sell: Hello Craft's Guide to Owning, Running, and Growing Your Crafty Biz
  • How to Make Money Using Etsy: A Guide to the Online Marketplace for Crafts and Handmade Products
  • Starting an Etsy Business for Dummies
  • Grace Hopper and the Invention of the Information Age (Lemelson Center Studies in Invention and Innovation series)
  • Kiss, Bow, Or Shake Hands: The Bestselling Guide to Doing Business in More Than 60 Countries
  • BiblioCraft: The Modern Crafter's Guide to Using Library Resources to Jumpstart Creative Projects
  • The Collage Workbook: How to Get Started and Stay Inspired
  • Brag!: The Art of Tooting Your Own Horn without Blowing It
  • Making a Living Without a Job: Winning Ways for Creating Work That You Love
  • Money Secrets of the Amish: Finding True Abundance in Simplicity, Sharing, and Saving
  • Wise Craft: Turning Thrift Store Finds, Fabric Scraps, and Natural Objects Into Stuff You Love
  • The Business Writer's Handbook
  • The Pathfinder: How to Choose or Change Your Career for a Lifetime of Satisfaction and Success