Start by marking “Etsy-Preneurship: Everything You Need to Know to Turn Your Handmade Hobby Into a Thriving Business” as Want to Read:

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  132 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Turn your handmade hobby into a thriving businessMost Etsy sellers are confident in their crafting and artistic capabilities. However, many need guidance on the business-related intricacies of starting and maintaining a successful Etsy business. "Etsy-preneurship" helps existing and potential Etsy sellers understand the business fundamentals needed to become a small busine ...more
Published September 21st 2012 by Wiley (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Etsy-Preneurship, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Etsy-Preneurship

Debbie
Very practical and useful guide into selling your crafts online, primarily aimed at Etsy marketplace, but can be adapted to any of the online sites. It comes with links to the website to download further forms and support with business planning and management.

It is written from a US based perspective, so a lot of the tax information is irrelevant to UK based businesses. However, the financial advice and guidance is very helpful. Glad I read it, now to put it all into practice. Looks like I'm doi
Krista
This book seems very complete in all the details that one would need to start an Etsy business. Very detailed tax and money information. All the details that I would overlook. I like that there were work sheets on each chapter too. This is probably something that I would need to invest in if I were to tackle this endeavor. The only downside, is that now I that know what *should* be done to start a business, I don't know if I have either the time or skills to start one.
Maryanne Gobble
It was very basic and the download password in the book didn't work. Yet it was still helpful, easy to read, and well organized in a way that I could skip around and read only what was applicable. The links in the book to other websites led me to a lot of useful information.
Steph Orange
Great book for a new creator to start and do things right. I am really looking forward to applying the marketing information, as that's where I need to improve an existing shop.
Beth
This book would be best for people new to selling on Etsy. It gives a nice overview of starting an online Etsy business, although information on many topics was pretty brief. The author does his best job covering sections on bookkeeping, taxes and handling the financial parts of running an Etsy business - which is probably not the strong suit of most Etsy shop owners who are mostly crafters, artists, or those selling vintage items. In fact the author's Etsy business is advising shop owners about ...more
Wendyjune
Such a good insight into etsy and getting your creative business organised and taken seriously. Loved it, and keep referring to it.
Almie
Excellent book for anyone seeking to start a business regardless of whether it is an Etsy business. My only constructive criticism would be that a few of the exercises were a bit cumbersome to access and a few were a bit too basic and perhaps unnecessary. But overall it was very encouraging and chocked full of ideas that can be further evaluated to fit a new business. The use of personal examples gave the book a great deal of credibility.
Alicia
Very helpful tax information for those who are looking for a little guidance, especially those operating as sole proprietors.
Болдбатор Батдорж
Must Reak Book Before You Start Your Online Business (not only Etsy )
Ann Addley
Good book lots of tips
Galen Orosco
Love it because it focused on the actual business of running an Etsy shop. Either other books on Etsy touched on numbers and business briefly or not at all. They focused on the creative side while this book is all about numbers and business. If that makes sense. I also like that the author has provided excel templates for what the chapter is referring too.

I would definitely recommend this to anyone who's starting out on Etsy (or any site or a crafting business in general).
Mary
This book includes a lot of practical information about the nuts and bolts of running a business on Etsy. The writing style is friendly and approachable, but business-like. There are exercises to do in many of the chapters and additional information online to supplement the chapters. I read the book through without doing the exercises, but I plan to go back and work through them.
Stephanie
Yes, contemplating an Etsy store. He has a lot of extras available on his website, forms and such, that he mentions a lot. But good general information on starting a new business, which can be useful for any type of business, not just Etsy.
Shannon
This books was especially valuable for it's information and resources on taxes and finances. I'd recommend it if you're thinking of opening an Etsy shop or any other business like it.
Deborah
This was helpful. Lots of solid information and specific recommendations. I haven't downloaded anything from the website, yet - I may still do that.

Katie
Very good resource. I learned a lot of general business principles as well as Etsy-specific tips. After reading, I feel extremely empowered.
Anthony Smith
Well thought out advice and info for those interested in the homemade craft business.
Kathleen Rainwater
A very practical guide to the business side of selling on Etsy.
Amy
I liked it so much, I bought it!
Laura Bourassa
Really useful. recommend it.
Kate Kieffer
Kate Kieffer marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
Evangeline
Evangeline is currently reading it
May 26, 2015
Laura marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
Mafalda Fernandes
Mafalda Fernandes marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Laura added it
May 24, 2015
Adrienne
Adrienne marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
Angie
Angie marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
  • How to Sell Your Crafts Online: A Step-by-Step Guide to Successful Sales on Etsy and Beyond
  • Grow Your Handmade Business: How to Envision, Develop, and Sustain a Successful Creative Business
  • The Power Formula for LinkedIn Success (Second Edition - Entirely Revised): Kick-start Your Business, Brand, and Job Search
  • The Pathfinder: How to Choose or Change Your Career for a Lifetime of Satisfaction and Success
  • Craft, Inc.: Turn Your Creative Hobby into a Business
  • Making a Living Without a Job: Winning Ways for Creating Work That You Love
  • Job Interviews For Dummies
  • Handmade to Sell: Hello Craft's Guide to Owning, Running, and Growing Your Crafty Biz
  • Kiss, Bow, or Shake Hands: The Bestselling Guide to Doing Business in More Than 60 Countries
  • Small Time Operator: How to Start Your Own Business, Keep Your Books, Pay Your Taxes & Stay Out of Trouble (Small Time Operator: How to Start Your Own ... Keep Yourbooks, Pay Your Taxes, & Stay Ou)
  • Etsy 101: Sell Your Crafts on Etsy, the DIY Marketplace for Handmade, Vintage and Crafting Supplies
  • How to Make Money Using Etsy: A Guide to the Online Marketplace for Crafts and Handmade Products
  • Skirt-a-Day Sewing: Create 28 Skirts for a Unique Look Every Day
  • Improv Sewing: A Freeform Approach to Creative Techniques; 101 Fast, Fun, and Fearless Projects: Dresses, Tunics, Scarves, Skirts, Accessories, Pillows, Curtains, and More
  • Free Marketing: 101 Low and No-Cost Ways to Grow Your Business, Online and Off
  • The Successful Business Plan: Secrets & Strategies
  • Warren Buffett Invests Like a Girl: And Why You Should, Too
  • 501 Decorating Ideas Under $100
Finding Your Inner Etsy-preneur Unleashing Your Personality Dreams Skills Strengths