Stock Investing for Dummies

Stock Investing for Dummies

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  172 ratings  ·  26 reviews
"Stock Investing For Dummies, " 4th Edition contains 25 percent new and revised material designed to keep this title competitive as the stock market prepares to go through a series of changes. It includes: A new chapter on ETFs, a safer way to be more diversified in the stock market. New rules, new exchanges, new investment vehicles--the 4th edition fills in the "new blank...more
Published January 10th 2013 by For Dummies (first published June 14th 2002)

Jeff Kelleher

Beginner look elsewhere.

The "Dummies" reference in the titles is irritating, but I am a fan of this series. The key to understanding any field of knowledge is "big picture first." That's what most Dummies books give us. Not this one, though. A veteran investor will find it aimless. A beginner will find it overwhelming.

The posture is that of the investment "professional" who is receiving a novice in his office. He is leaning back in his chair, his fingers in a steeple, his tone that of condescen...more
Patrik
In this book it talks about how you can start off in the stock market and good ways to get rich off of it. This book isn't really a beginner book, but you have to have some background information on stocks to know what's going on. The beginning of the book talks about what a stock is. A stock is a investment in something. Nearly all big companies have a stock. Around the book it talks about how it is a very risky business and how you have to be careful. This book didn't tell me what stock to inv...more
Alison
Was this my favorite book? Obviously, no. But it did increase my knowledge on investment terms and stock strategies by about 100%. I think it is great for anyone who like me just wanted to get some basic information. It does contain a lot of information on how to invest if you are approaching retirement, which wasn't really helpful for me, but could be useful to someone else.

I will warn you that the book is liberally peppered with puns and small bits of conservative bias (i.e. high taxes are te...more
Eric
Feb 07, 2011 Eric rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone with the unrestricted use of a time machine.
Unfortunately, I realized, by the second chapter, that I had aggressively invested my liquid working capital in an ill-advised public offering (this book). Although governmental actions compounded this failure, recurring debt was avoided. Both fundamental and technical research indicate that the book value listed exceeds the current market value, partially as a result of our long-term economic downturn. As my interest fluctuated, discipline was exercised (yes, I did read the whole book) and cons...more
melissa
I got a really basic book because I thought I knew nothing. Apparently, I knew a little more than nothing. But if you really need to know the basics so you can have some confidence getting started, this is the book. And, it was published in 2005, and in one of the final chapters, the author all but predicted the credit crash we're having now and explained why it would happen, so clearly, this guy knows what he's talking about.
Michelle
Dummy, derived from old Sanford, meaning "son".
Paul is a value investor who's very comfortable with the subject. He gets five stars for calling the current financial cycle as similar to the late '70s (this he did during the bubble!) characterized by stagflation, dramatically risen oil and commodities prices, especially metals.Then he reaches how to navigate it. Prescient.
Anton Klink
Having read it quite a number of years ago, I remember liking it, yet I can't seem to remember too many specifics about it. Obviously it wasn't bad, otherwise I would have remembered that, but neither was it good enough to burn a vivid image into my mind, so three stars is probably the fairest rating I can give it.
Drkazmd65
A good basic book - as one would expect - explaining the basics of stock buying for longer-term investing. I figure that I can't do a worse job than the 'professionals' that have been losing my ROTH money for the last couple of years.
Emily Jones
Good book with a lot of good information. Especially helpful if you have a retirement mutual fund and you don't completely understand it! Good source of conservative information for those who are looking to invest not speculate.
Kaloyan K.
Well, I guess I am no dummy since I didn't learned anything new from this book. It's a nice fast read, without getting into too much of details for a lot of the stuff I think are important.
Kaloyan K.
Pete
Lots of good info. It appears this guy predicted the housing crash because he was worried about the bubble when the book was published in 2005.
Radek
Really good book for someone who knows nothing about investing in stocks. For those who already know a little it may be a bit too basic.
Natali
A great fast read for a brush-up on how the market works and some solid investment advice on how to diversify your money wisely.
Partha
a very good intro book for investing...hey,I thought Bulls and Bears were sport team's mascots, not names of markets !
Mac
Will come back later when other goals have been settled, leaving more free time to pursue this endeavor.
Mitch Gage

Good overview. Keeps it simple yet fairly thorough. Tedious cover to cover read, though.
RJ
Stock Investing For Dummies (For Dummies (Business & Personal Finance)) by Paul Mladjenovic (2006)
Reed Allen
This was a decent book it has good basic level information and investing tips.
Jason
filled in some gaps, but I like the Motley Fool books better overall
Jay
Great way to get a taste of how to invest money in stocks.
Kelly
Not my idea of a fun read, but it was helpful.
George
Good overview of the market
Noah
Apr 10, 2013 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-new
SM
Brittany
Brittany marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Blake
Blake added it
Jul 19, 2014
Omama
Omama marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
  • Investing For Dummies
  • Economics For Dummies (For Dummies (Business & Personal Finance))
  • Chess For Dummies
  • The Neatest Little Guide to Stock Market Investing (RevisedEdition)
  • Classical Music for Dummies
  • Yoga For Dummies (For Dummies (Computer/Tech))
  • Auto Repair For Dummies
  • Forensics for Dummies
  • British History for Dummies
  • Cognitive Behavioural Therapy for Dummies
  • Music Theory for Dummies
  • The Lean Six SIGMA Pocket Toolbook: A Quick Reference Guide to 70 Tools for Improving Quality and Speed: A Quick Reference Guide to 70 Tools for Improving Quality and Speed
  • Buddhism for Dummies
Precious Metals Investing For Dummies Micro-Entrepreneurship for Dummies Micro-Entrepreneurship For Dummies (For Dummies (Business & Personal Finance)) Stock Investing For Dummies The Unofficial Guide to Picking Stocks