Start by marking “A Jonathan Edwards Reader” as Want to Read:
A Jonathan Edwards Reader

A Jonathan Edwards Reader

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  85 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Providing excerpts from his previously published and unpublished writings, this volume is a collection of selected compositions by one of America's early theologians and philosophers. It is aimed at scholars, students and those interested in early American history and religion.
Paperback
Published May 24th 1995 by Yale University Press

To ask other readers questions about A Jonathan Edwards Reader, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Jonathan Edwards Reader

Julianne
A Conversation Between Me and My Cousin Mike, at the Cottage, Several Weekends Ago:

Mike: The Jonathan Edwards Reader?

Me: Oh yeah. That’s mine. I’m reading it.

Mike: That’s not the Jonathan Edwards I’m thinking of, right?

Me: No, no. Not the “I see dead people” guy. No. This guy was born in, like, 1703.

Mike: Oh. I was actually thinking of…that guy that cheated on his wife…the politician.

Me: !

(What might be more interesting than the review I’m about to write is the coffee klatch I’m writing in my he...more
David
Read as part of an independent study with Jonathan McCune Edwards, 6th great grandson of the author.
Briana
Neither huge nor imposing...they say that Locke, Hobbes, and Montesquieu are the Big Three...

But just wait, somehow I'll get even more lost in Edwards' Spider than in Hobbes' Leviathan.

*EDIT*

Well, I liked the Spider Letter, although I don't *really* get what makes Edwards so happy about spiders drowning in the sea...you'd think there'd be a lot of other examples in creation to write about...

My goodness, Edwards is a brave fellow...jumping right into the Calvinism v. Arminianism battle...I just w...more
Anittah
My cleaning lady moved this from its pile yesterday and my bookmark fell out. So I guess I am done reading it now.

Here's a typical curmudgeonly JE quotation. One of his goals was:

"to be very moderate in the use of terms of art. Let it not look as if I was much read, or was conversant with books, or with the learned world..."

Tryin' to keep it real, eh, Edwards?
Tyler Hurst
There is not a lot that could be said about this assortment of Edwards' writings except that they came from the pen of Jonathan Edwards, and in many ways that is all that need be said.
Brad
While the book presents a number of interesting essays on Jonathan Edwards (one of America's most important religious figures) I found the book a little lacking...and BORING!
Alex
I don't care how unrepresentative it was of his thought - "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God" is the crown jewel in this collection.
Jacob Aitken
Okay overview. Interesting, but suffers the same problems as any text that only gives you snippets of an author's thought.
John
You can see a lot of contemporary America in this 18th century pastor. Except rap.
Lucinda
Jonathan Edwards was badass.
Katherine
Katherine is currently reading it
Oct 16, 2014
Shelley Bell
Shelley Bell marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
Britani
Britani marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
Friska Munthe
Friska Munthe marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Steve
Steve added it
Sep 09, 2014
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
Dwight
Dwight marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Monika
Monika is currently reading it
Jul 27, 2014
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Amanda Noonan
Amanda Noonan marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Trevor
Trevor added it
May 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the Goodreads database named Jonathan Edwards.

Jonathan Edwards was the most eminent American philosopher-theologian of his time, and a key figure in what has come to be called the First Great Awakening of the 1730s and 1740s.

The only son in a family of eleven children, he entered Yale in September, 1716 when he was not yet thirteen and graduated fou...more
More about Jonathan Edwards...
The Religious Affections Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God The Life and Diary of David Brainerd Freedom of the Will Jonathan Edwards' Resolutions: And Advice to Young Converts