Start by marking “A Jonathan Edwards Reader” as Want to Read:
A Jonathan Edwards Reader
Preview

A Jonathan Edwards Reader

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  93 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Providing excerpts from his previously published and unpublished writings, this volume is a collection of selected compositions by one of America's early theologians and philosophers. It is aimed at scholars, students and those interested in early American history and religion.
Paperback
Published May 24th 1995 by Yale University Press

To ask other readers questions about A Jonathan Edwards Reader, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Jonathan Edwards Reader

Julianne
A Conversation Between Me and My Cousin Mike, at the Cottage, Several Weekends Ago:

Mike: The Jonathan Edwards Reader?

Me: Oh yeah. That’s mine. I’m reading it.

Mike: That’s not the Jonathan Edwards I’m thinking of, right?

Me: No, no. Not the “I see dead people” guy. No. This guy was born in, like, 1703.

Mike: Oh. I was actually thinking of…that guy that cheated on his wife…the politician.

Me: !

(What might be more interesting than the review I’m about to write is the coffee klatch I’m writing in my he
David
Read as part of an independent study with Jonathan McCune Edwards, 6th great grandson of the author.
Briana
Neither huge nor imposing...they say that Locke, Hobbes, and Montesquieu are the Big Three...

But just wait, somehow I'll get even more lost in Edwards' Spider than in Hobbes' Leviathan.

*EDIT*

Well, I liked the Spider Letter, although I don't *really* get what makes Edwards so happy about spiders drowning in the sea...you'd think there'd be a lot of other examples in creation to write about...

My goodness, Edwards is a brave fellow...jumping right into the Calvinism v. Arminianism battle...I just w
Anittah
My cleaning lady moved this from its pile yesterday and my bookmark fell out. So I guess I am done reading it now.

Here's a typical curmudgeonly JE quotation. One of his goals was:

"to be very moderate in the use of terms of art. Let it not look as if I was much read, or was conversant with books, or with the learned world..."

Tryin' to keep it real, eh, Edwards?
Tyler Hurst
There is not a lot that could be said about this assortment of Edwards' writings except that they came from the pen of Jonathan Edwards, and in many ways that is all that need be said.
Brad
While the book presents a number of interesting essays on Jonathan Edwards (one of America's most important religious figures) I found the book a little lacking...and BORING!
Alex
I don't care how unrepresentative it was of his thought - "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God" is the crown jewel in this collection.
Jacob Aitken
Okay overview. Interesting, but suffers the same problems as any text that only gives you snippets of an author's thought.
John
You can see a lot of contemporary America in this 18th century pastor. Except rap.
Lucinda
Jonathan Edwards was badass.
timothy keller
timothy keller marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Joshua Wright
Joshua Wright marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Steven Rodriguez
Steven Rodriguez is currently reading it
Apr 05, 2015
John
John marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Ginnie Grant
Ginnie Grant marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
Mom
Mom is currently reading it
Mar 02, 2015
Kathleen Harris
Kathleen Harris marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Morgan McComb
Morgan McComb marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
Joel
Joel marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2015
Lynn
Lynn added it
Jan 19, 2015
Bonnie Browning
Bonnie Browning marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Caleb Click
Caleb Click marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2015
  • A God Entranced Vision of All Things: The Legacy of Jonathan Edwards
  • America's God: From Jonathan Edwards to Abraham Lincoln
  • A Body of Divinity: Contained in Sermons upon the Westminster Assembly's Catechism
  • Works of John Bunyan: 3 Volume Set
  • Thomas Cranmer
  • Errand into the Wilderness
  • A Kierkegaard Anthology
  • Revival and Revivalism: Making and Marring of American Evangelicalism 1750-1858
  • Jonathan Edwards
  • The Major Works (World's Classics)
  • The Ascent of Everest
  • 20th-Century Theology: God and the World in a Transitional Age
  • The Christian Philosophy of St. Thomas Aquinas
  • Three Treatises
  • Systematic Theology
  • The Complete Works
  • On the Holy Spirit
  • A Confession and Other Religious Writings
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the Goodreads database named Jonathan Edwards.

Jonathan Edwards was the most eminent American philosopher-theologian of his time, and a key figure in what has come to be called the First Great Awakening of the 1730s and 1740s.

The only son in a family of eleven children, he entered Yale in September, 1716 when he was not yet thirteen and graduated fou
More about Jonathan Edwards...
The Religious Affections Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God Freedom of the Will Jonathan Edwards' Resolutions: And Advice to Young Converts Charity & Its Fruits