Blank-133x176
Diabetes for Dummies

Alan L. Rubin

Diabetes for Dummies

3.4 of 5 stars 3.40  ·  rating details  ·  134 ratings  ·  22 reviews
The straight facts on treating diabetes successfullyWith diabetes now considered pandemic throughout the world, there have been an enormous advances in the field since the last edition of "Diabetes For Dummies." Now significantly revised and updated, it includes the latest information on medications and monitoring equipment, updated diet and exercise plans, new findings ab...more
Published August 9th 2012 by For Dummies (first published 1999)

Iona  Main Stewart
This is the second worst book on diabetes I've read. (I see that the worst book has got good reviews on amazon.com, and is not available on amazon.co.uk. I myself have reviewed it on Facebook.)

After much consideration I've given the book presently under review two stars (at first I wanted to give it only one). It gets the two stars for the vast amount of medical information given, though as it is written by two traditional doctors, this is traditional information, much of it in my view erroneous...more
Kimberlee
My husband was diagnosed about a month and a half ago. I was aware of a family history of diabetes, but I did not realize that this disease would visit us this young (we are in our mid-40s). This book was an excellent introduction to all things diabetes. The author's humor at times gets old, but if the reader can overlook that, it's a worthy read, especially for those impacted by diabetes. I bought another copy to share with one of my relatives who has diabetes. I was able to share with my child...more
Rich
Not a book I read because I wanted to, but because I needed to. Found out I was pre-diabetic and hadn't a clue what any of that meant. The information in the book was accessible, at a level I could understand without needing prior knowledge, and helped give me some idea of what next steps I should look into taking.
A great launching point if you or someone you know wants an introduction to diabetes.
Mike
This is an awesome up to date reference if you have diabetes - or even if you don't. With the huge increase in diabetes cases. Around the world, you can prevent or slow down systems in your self or understand what's going on when a loved one or friend is diagnosed. Reading this book helped me so much!
Malia
Really great tips of all kinds in this book. As just one example, this was the first place I've seen an explanation for how soon to exercise after eating (for blood sugar)! A must read for diabetics and pre-diabetics!
Helen Ingram
Nice introduction to diabetes. Not a book to read page by page. It has pin pointers for the newly diagnosed person to take note.
Llothil
It was probably an informative book that is the best for someone who is not personally diagnosed with diabetes and knows nothing about it. If you have been diagnosed with it I think that it lacks a bunch of information and isn't particularly reliably up to date with the most recent medical opinions regarding such illnesses, but that being said if you know someone or have a family member that has recently been diagnosed and need to get to know the basics about it then this is the book for you.
Jim
I learned a few things from this book, but not a lot. My father is a type 2 diabetic, so I had already learned much of the content, from his experience. It is probably a good book for someone with no previous knowledge of diabetes.
Angel
I don't really know if this is a good book or not. As a person whom does not know a thing about diabetes I can say that it brought light to me. I think it gives basic knowledge, good enough to start taking care of myself.
Bradley
This is a quick and handy reference book forr people who have been diagnosed with Type 1or 2 diabetes. I found it really helpful because it answered several questions I had wondered about after meeting with a dietician.
JParsons1974 Parsons
This book gives the reader the basics on this condition. The information is understandable. It does concisely debunk medical myths about diabetes treatment. I wish the book would do the exercising for me.
Braden
Sep 20, 2009 Braden marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This was a good book because i didnt know anything about diabetes now i do.it shows how important diabetes is. It gives you good ways on how to moniter your diabetes.
Julie
Unfortunately, I knew everything in it. It is the same stuff rehashed over and over again. I would have been better off just sticking with Google.
TailFeather
I agree with Iona. If we followed this book, my husband would be in the ER with high sugar glucose.
Sandy thyer
Informative but I wanted more nutritional info. I'm sure it's out there somewhere.
Scott Gillespie
Not particularly exciting but reading this has helped me to help my mom.
Luna
Helpful and easy to read. Just what it says, "for dummies." :)
Anna
This book was informative, but not as helpful as I had wished.
Donnelle
A good place to start for a new diabetic.
T.
Very informational.
Kristi
Kristi added it
Jul 20, 2014
Tanesha Odeneal
Tanesha Odeneal marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Thyroid for Dummies Type 1 Diabetes for Dummies High Blood Pressure for Dummies Diabetes Cookbook for Dummies Prediabetes For Dummies (For Dummies (Health & Fitness))

“os griegos y los romanos conocían la diabetes. Para determinar si
alguien tenía el padecimiento —prepárense para esto— probaban la
orina. Fue así como los romanos descubrieron que la orina de algunas
personas era mellitus, palabra latina que significa dulce.”
0 likes
“Examining Type 2 Diabetes Most people with type 2 diabetes, which used to be known as adult onset diabetes or noninsulin dependent diabetes, are over the age of 40. Your chances of getting type 2 diabetes increase as you get older. Because the symptoms are so mild at first, you may not notice them. You may ignore these symptoms for years before they become bothersome enough to consult your doctor. So type 2 diabetes is a disease of gradual onset rather than the severe emergency that can herald type 1 diabetes. No autoimmunity is involved in type 2 diabetes, so no antibodies are found. Doctors believe that no virus is involved in the onset of type 2 diabetes. Recent statistics show that worldwide, ten times more people have type 2 diabetes than type 1 diabetes. Although type 2 is the much more prevalent type of diabetes, those with type 2 diabetes seem to have milder severity of complications (such as eye disease and kidney disease) from diabetes. Identifying” 0 likes