Blank-133x176
The Science of Love

Robin Dunbar

The Science of Love

3.33 of 5 stars 3.33  ·  rating details  ·  49 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Falling in love is one of the strangest things we can do - and one of the things that makes us uniquely human. But what happens to our brains when our eyes meet across a crowded room? Why do we kiss each other, forget our friends, seek a 'good sense of humour' in Lonely Hearts adverts and try (and fail) to be monogamous? How are our romantic relationships different from ou...more
Published October 1st 2012 by John Wiley & Sons (first published January 1st 2012)

Stacy
I made it to page 114 in this book, where the author states as fact that some Victorian women had their ribs surgically removed to enhance their "wasp waist" look. This rumor has been repeatedly disproved, and anyone with a passing knowledge of medical history would be aware of the dangers of surgery in this era, prior to antibiotics and with limited painkillers.

That the author presents such a thoroughly discredited notion as fact leads me to suspect the validity of the rest of his writing. Comb...more
Book
The Science of Love by Robin Dunbar

"The Science of Love" is the fascinating science behind the human universal of falling in love. Anthropologist and evolutionary psychologist, Professor Dunbar takes the reader on a journey of an often-ignored part of science that deals with what causes us to feel love. Drawing on extensive research and interesting theories, the book provides an insightful biological story. This excellent 325-page book is composed of the following ten chapters: 1. Now We Are One...more
Faith Chua
Like the part on chapter 8, sleeping with the devil. Points out that relationship with God exists all in the mind and that we can 'mold' God to the ideal person whoever we are.
Oyster
Why can love make us so crazy? And how is it possible to feel be good and bad about romance at the same time? Facts prove more interesting than feelings in Robin Dunbar’s deep dive into amour from an evolutionary perspective.
Hans de Zwart
Dunbar (famous for the Dunbar number, the cognitive limit to the number of people with whom one can maintain stable social relationships) has compiled an amazing amount of very smart research about love relationships in this book. It comes from the perspective of evolutionary psychology and is full of fascinating facts, but is in the end too disjointed to be very enjoyable. This would have been much better as a set of popular scientific articles. Do read the first chapter "Now We Are One" though...more
Louise
Hmm . . . well, I liked this book, but wasn't bowled over by it. Possibly because, having read all of Dunbar's previous books, there was a certain amount of repetition and very little to surprise. That said, there was enough new information to hold my interest . . . and here it comes . . . BUT as for the conclusion, well I could have told him that if he'd only asked!
Ninakix
some chapters are super aggravating or boring, but there are a few in here that are just fascinating. Low on the scare tactics, mostly a look at statistics, brain functioning and animal behavior to examine the evolutionary basis of love.
Sean Goh
Maximum number of active participants in a conversation is 4.
Also, a romantic partner generally leads to the outward migration of two intimate friends to the next outer layer.
Sunaina
Eh. Some interesting stuff.
Lutfiye Eyuboglu
Bir yerlerde de böyle bir hoca var işte öğrencileriyle eğlenceli deneyler yapan..
Georgy
Georgy marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Myca De mata
Myca De mata marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Patty Sandifer-Baskin
Patty Sandifer-Baskin marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Meryem Gahamou
Meryem Gahamou marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Daniel Ulm
Daniel Ulm marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2014
Doc99
Doc99 marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Luci Davin
Luci Davin marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
May 04, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2014
Clarisse
Clarisse marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2014
Leah
Leah marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
Deepak Bisth
Deepak Bisth marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
Deepak Bisth
Deepak Bisth marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Robin Ian MacDonald Dunbar, British anthropologist and evolutionary psychologist. He is a specialist in primate behaviour. Currently Professor of Evolutionary Psychology and head of the Social and Evolutionary Neuroscience Research Group at the Department of Experimental Psychology, University of Oxford.
More about Robin Dunbar...
Grooming, Gossip, and the Evolution of Language How Many Friends Does One Person Need?: Dunbar's Number and Other Evolutionary Quirks The Human Story Evolutionary Psychology: A Beginner's Guide Human Evolution: A Pelican Introduction (Pelican Books)