A Whale of a Tale!: All About Porpoises, Dolphins, and Whales

A Whale of a Tale!: All About Porpoises, Dolphins, and Whales (The Cat in the Hat's Learning Library)

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  60 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Onboard a vessel that would make Jacques Cousteau green with envy, the Cat and Co. take to the high seas in search of whales, dolphins, and porpoises—those aquatic mammals known as cetaceans. While learning how cetaceans stay warm without hair, have teeth or baleen, swim in troops, spyhop, spin, breach, and see via ecolocation, kids are introduced to almost 20 different sp...more
Published May 23rd 2006 by Random House Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about A Whale of a Tale!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Whale of a Tale!

Josh
A Dr. Suess book (written by another author true) about whales, dophins, and porpoises is absolutely brilliant. And it rhymes!!! I found this book while strolling through a gift shop at Sea World. When I saw it, I knew I had to immediately have it, since this group of animals are my favorites. This short book does a great job of providing a ton of information about these animals. The illustrations are typical Dr. Suess - goofy, funny, and filled with eye-catching colors. Also throughout the book...more
Amy
Surprisingly well done book that teaches kids about the stuff that makes cetaceans nifty animals. All kinds of dolphin, porpoise, and whale species were featured, and the rhyming text was only awkward in places. All in all, though, quite well done! And by the end of the story my nephew was able to distinguish dolphins from "porkuses." We'll work on that word.
Alex
It's not Dr. Seuss, and the meter is frequently abused, but there are some fun facts and drawings in this work of nonfiction for preschoolers. Favorite fact, which may just scar my son when the other kids in the schoolyard don't believe him: a killer whale is not really a whale, but rather a toothed dolphin.
Jelisa
I think this story would be great to read when discussing animals and their habitats. This story takes place at sea and I think that many students love dolphins so learning about the human-like mammals would be interesting and engaging for the children.
Aleya Peters
This is a wonderful rhyming book that has a vast amount of facts about whales, porpoises, and dolphins. The book follows the Dr. Seuss style of writing quite well and is a lovely addition to the collection.
Tricia
What a rare and fun find---Dr. Seuss non-fiction! As title indicates this book is about porpoises, dolphins and whales and includes fun illustrations with facts in an easy reader format.
Lindsey Lubker
A Whale of a Tale is an informational book about whales porpoises and dolphins. It discusses these sea creatures habits, sizes, food they eat, and more.
Madkropotkin
My son's reading material for tonight. I think it might have been a little difficult for him, but he gave it a very good shot.
Mandy
Come hear a "whale of a tale" about the difference between dolphins, porpoises, and whales told in a rhyme.
Myron
Great book for little kids interested in whales. My daughter loves it.
Maria
rhymed and taught about the animals. It was great!
PWRL
David
David added it
Sep 07, 2014
Candace Allen
Candace Allen marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Laurie
Laurie marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Melissa M. D'Andrea
Melissa M. D'Andrea marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2014
Free
Free added it
Mar 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
BONNIE WORTH is the author of countless books for young readers, among them the Cat in the Hat Learning Library books If I Ran the Rain Forest, HarK! A Shark!, Oh Say Can You Seed? (winner of the 2003 Ohio Farm Bureau Award), Wish for a Fish, Oh Say Can You Say Di-No-Saur?, Would You Rather Be a Pollywog?, Ice Is Nice!, and Safari, So Good!

More about Bonnie Worth...
Oh say can you say di-no-saur? Wish for a Fish: All About Sea Creatures The Cat in the Hat the Movie!: Cooking with the Cat If I Ran the Rain Forest: All About Tropical Rain Forests (Cat in the Hat's Learning Library) Oh Say Can You Seed?: All About Flowering Plants