Start by marking “Trillions: Thriving in the Emerging Information Ecology” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Trillions: Thriving in...

Peter Lucas

Trillions: Thriving in the Emerging Information Ecology

We are facing a future of unbounded complexity. Whether that complexity is harnessed to build a world that is safe, pleasant, humane and profitable, or whether it causes us to careen off a cliff into an abyss of mind-numbing junk is an open question. The challenges and opportunities--technical, business, and human--that this technological sea change will bring are without

Published August 29th 2012 by Wiley (first published August 27th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Trillions, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Rafi Haladjian
May 16, 2013 Rafi Haladjian rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This a very misleading book. I thought it was a book about the future, the after web era, the Internet of Things and all this kind of stuff. It barely discusses the matter. It is just a self promoting book about some Maya Consulting company, lead by people who more easily talk about what they did in 90's than what happened more recently. It is sometimes rather reactionary ("Open Source software is unreliable"). Spends most of the time discussing all sorts of subjects that don't have the slightes ...more
Alanna
Mar 10, 2013 Alanna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My brother Mickey wrote a book! Of course it's mind bending. Read it!
Elizabeth
This book is about what we will need to do to change our thinking about information and how we manipulate and access it. Starting from where we currently are today, it outlines what will need to happen to get to the next level of complexity when most things we interact with will be imbedded with technology. Written by three authors from MAYA, it is peppered with stories and insights that help illustrate their thinking on the future of the digital age.

While I don’t think that I was able to grasp
John Gray
Feb 13, 2013 John Gray rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Think about the notion that "computers need to become human literate"; now go find Trillions, and read thoughtful insights into the challenges of designing an information "ecology".

It's wonderful how the authors, crafted a blend of past, present, and future; tossing in key considerations about product design, information architecture, valuing a multidisciplinary approach to thinking about innovation, and ultimately delivering a clear vision for creating a richer human experience.

I'm all for the
Peter
Dec 09, 2012 Peter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a fantastic book. Highly recommended. I did not know anything about MAYA consulting till i met Mickey McManus at a conference together with Gordon Bell. He happened to have some early prints of this book, and signed one for me. It's a must read book if you want to get a feel of the catastrophic complexities that we will be facing when trillions and devices and entities start conversations at scale over the grid. Especially if you have interest in Design with a big "D" and Architecture wi ...more
David
Sep 15, 2013 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A challenging book about the future of our internet, from the firm that invented usability as a term and a discipline. Not a linear text but a series of observations and case studies that weave together.
Susan
Nov 08, 2013 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Look beyond the distractions of a million apps in the app store, the twitter ipo, or vc funding your silly social network app and imagine a world of connected everything.
Antti
Aug 21, 2016 Antti rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Highly boring ad for the MAYA corporation.

No insight, and the title is misleading, it is not of informatics, but pre-2012 marketing!

OMG
Terri Miller
Sep 23, 2013 Terri Miller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While a little verbose at times, this book has some very insightful speculations on what the future of information and the technology that will govern information will/should be.
Monika Gierszewska
Monika Gierszewska rated it liked it
Apr 20, 2014
Jimmie
Jimmie rated it liked it
Mar 02, 2014
Peter Terkildsen
Peter Terkildsen rated it liked it
Dec 29, 2012
John
John rated it liked it
Mar 26, 2015
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2015
Terry Patterson
Terry Patterson rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2017
Jennifer rated it liked it
Jan 25, 2013
Patrick
Patrick rated it liked it
Feb 08, 2013
Kat King
Kat King rated it really liked it
Sep 29, 2014
Zachary Crockett
Zachary Crockett rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2017
Pieter Van der walt
Pieter Van der walt rated it really liked it
Nov 01, 2013
Kristin Boyer
Kristin Boyer rated it liked it
Aug 25, 2013
Chris Brackert
Chris Brackert rated it liked it
Feb 11, 2016
Shinichiroyano
Shinichiroyano rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2017
Stanley
Stanley rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2015
Joe
Joe rated it really liked it
Oct 31, 2013
Kariithi Kilemi
Kariithi Kilemi rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2014
Keith Breyer
Keith Breyer rated it it was amazing
Dec 20, 2015
Jacob Munk-Stander
Jacob Munk-Stander rated it liked it
Aug 17, 2013
Sam Spurlin
Sam Spurlin rated it really liked it
Dec 03, 2015
KungFu Drafter
KungFu Drafter rated it really liked it
Dec 03, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
  • No More Rules: Graphic Design and Postmodernism
  • Paul Rand: Conversations with Students
  • Exposing the Magic of Design: A Practitioner's Guide to the Methods and Theory of Synthesis
  • Understanding Context: Environment, Language, and Information Architecture
  • The Discipline of Organizing
  • Learning Agile: Understanding Scrum, XP, Lean, and Kanban
  • Design Is the Problem
  • Hidden in Plain Sight: How to Create Extraordinary Products for Tomorrow's Customers
  • On Web Typography
  • Stealing the General: The Great Locomotive Chase and the First Medal of Honor
  • Drawing Ideas: A Designer's Guide to Refining, Communicating, and Selling Your Concepts
  • The Mobile Frontier: A Guide for Designing Mobile Experiences
  • Redesign The Web (The Smashing Book #3)
  • UX Strategy: How to Devise Innovative Digital Products That People Want
  • Information Anxiety
  • How to Make Sense of Any Mess: Information Architecture for Everybody
  • The Practitioner's Guide to Product Management
  • Articulating Design Decisions: Communicate with Stakeholders, Keep Your Sanity, and Deliver the Best User Experience