Start by marking “Lilly: Palm Beach, Tropical Glamour, and the Birth of a Fashion Legend” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Lilly: Palm Beach, Tro...
Kathryn Livingston

Lilly: Palm Beach, Tropical Glamour, and the Birth of a Fashion Legend

3.3 of 5 stars 3.30  ·  rating details  ·  124 ratings  ·  26 reviews
The real story behind a very private American fashion icon—Lilly PulitzerToday, Lilly Pulitzer's iconic brand of clean-cut, vibrantly printed clothes called "Lillys" can be spotted everywhere. What began decades ago as a snob uniform in Palm Beach became a general fashion craze and, later, an American classic. In contrast to the high visibility of her brand, Lilly Pulitzer ...more
Published September 24th 2012 by John Wiley & Sons

To ask other readers questions about Lilly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lilly

As a Lilly lover, I looked forward to reading about the legend behind the popular, preppy Lilly Pulitzer brand. It was quite disappointing to find this book light on Lilly McKim Pulitzer. Rather than focus on Ms. Pulitzer, the author dished on the history of the Palm Beach social scene and it's origins; there was a lot of jumping around from heir to socialite to playboy with a limited back story and very little substance about the Lilly Pulitzer brand or Ms. Pulitzer's background. I'd say about ...more
Lauren Cline
Lilly: Palm Beach, Tropical Glamour, and the Birth of a Fashion Legend tells the life story of Lilly Pulitzer and her amazing company. This book goes into details of the lives of Lilly herself and the people she surrounded herself with. It describes the high life of Palm Beach and gives a close up on Palm Beach society. It traces the many ups-and-downs in Lilly Pulitzer's personal life as well as her business. It also gives insight on the decline of the business in the 1980's before its resurgen ...more
Loved the parts about Lilly, but the author spent way too much time focusing on people who had absolutely nothing to do with her life.
I loved learning about my favorite fashion designer, Lilly Pulitzer, and her glamorous lifestyle. This book taught me a lot about business initiatives, creativity, and the immense wealth concentrated in Palm Beach, FL. There were grammar errors throughout the book, and sometimes the author went off on tangents that were irrelevant to the central topic. Too much name dropping, not enough direct quotes or personal anecdotes. But it was a pleasurable read and I would recommend it to anyone who wear ...more
Candace Rollins
This biography of Lily McKim Pulitzer made for light reading. It chronicles the life of a very wealthy heiress and her somewhat serendipitous entree into the world of fashion. The book did a good job of presenting the history and connections of the "Gatsby" like lives of the Palm Beach ultra rich.As an admirer of the line I enjoyed reading about it's history.

Unfamiliar word

pg. 31 Coterie: an exclusive group that shares similar interests
Leanne Schneider
I'm not enjoying this as much I hoped I would. It's less a biography about Lilly and more a biography about every rich & famous society person in American from the late 1800's, through the decades. And how they are all connected to each other and to Lilly. The author could've just drawn a flow-chart for that...and then wrote a book about Lilly. I get the feeling that the author does not know her subject at all and therefore is filling in space by talking about all those other people. She cou ...more
Sarah Katherine
I learned so much about Lilly so I really appreciated that info but agree with other reviewers that the author goes off on very long, detailed tangents about other people who don't really have anything to do with this story and their whole backgrounds. I listened to audiobook so I couldn't just skim (and the audiobook narrated wasn't the best to listen to either-slightly high pitched and not a lot of inflection.)
But overall I'm happy to have read it to know more about Lilly. I never would have k
I still love Lilly, but was disappointed in this book. It read more of a magazine article on palm beach society than a real understanding of Lilly. I didn't learn anything new and felt disappointed by that.
Natasja Holben Handy
Pretty dull, unfortunately. And surprisingly vapid, for a book based on someone who seemed so unconcerned with high society.
As others have noted, "Lilly" has very little to do with Lilly --- maaaybe 20% of the book is devoted to her. Because I live within 5 miles of Palm Beach, I thought it was interesting.
Interesting read on Lilly Pulitzer that focuses heavily on the social relationships of Palm Beach as much as the accidental development of her brand Lilly. Touches on the initial break out of the Lilly shift, the socialites that wore it, middle americans wanting to emulate the upper-crust look, the demise of the brand, and one, if not the most successful brand come this century. At it's height in the 80's Lilly garnered 15 million, in 2008 the brand generated over $100 million, and is now owned ...more
Truthfully, a little dull.
Too much Social Register, not enough Lilly! This book was a hot mess, disorganized, distracted, one dimensional. There are literally pages and pages listing people's stories pedigrees who have nothing to do with Lilly, then, at the end of the book it is casually mentioned that: oh, remember Lilly's favorite sister? She committed suicide 30 yrs ago! Shame on the editor.
Fun to read! Lilly McKim Pulitzer and her contemporaries live(d) a life so totally outside my existence that it was like reading about unicorns! I'd actually heard of the "Lillys", the little dresses that she started selling in Palm Beach, and that's why I picked up the book. A very quick read and, for me, more enlightening about the High Society folk than about fashion. Enjoyed it.
Joyce Gomes
Fascinating read, provides a rich history and a riveting tour of the life styles of the pioneers that made the resort of Palm Beach. Kathryn Livingston did a phenomenal job in researching every fact to ensure the history of the era was true and concise. Lilly Pulitzer proves that hard work and determination are the right ingredients for success.
A bio of Lilly Pulitzer that does give you a look at her life, but also spends a lot of time
describing her friends lives, her schools, her home in Palm Beach. Gives you well rounded look
at the fashion icon. Can't help but thinking that the author was a little enamored of Lilly and
her world, though. A bit biased about it all.
Liked learning a little more about Lilly and the history of the company.

However, I got lost in the minute details of family trees and the social scene in Palm Beach. I picked this up because I wanted to know about the woman, her inspirations, the ups and downs of her business. I got some of that, but not enough.

This book is much more about private school life and the social scenes of Palm Beach and other northern playgrounds than Lilly's own life. The writing can be wordy at times with odd sentence structure, as I would have to re-read to understand what the author was trying to say. Still worth a read for any Lilly fan.
As an avid Lilly fan, I was hoping to learn more about the designer herself. While the book was interesting, I felt that I learned more about the background of her family and the history of Palm Beach instead of gaining insight into the life of this fascinating designer.
I bought this book just to add to my collection of Lilly books but it was terrible - poorly written, choppy, and repetitive are just a few thoughts I had during the first three chapters. Unless you need some pink and green for your bookshelf save your money!
Was great reading about Lilly's life and hearing about how she started her business. Also loved how everyone in her life was interconnected. Thought though that a large chunk of the tangents by the author weren't relevant for Lilly's story.
Maureen Flatley
Gosh, I love Lilly......whether as a style icon or business woman, Lilly was a trailblazer and role model for us all. This is a great and very readable book about her family and her life. If you love Lilly, you'll love it.
Linda Cuttone
This book was a little slow. I wanted more of her design company story and it was a lot of the social life of Palm Beach. But the little bit of Lilly's design life was interesting.
So unfulfilling! Too much about the people around her and not nearly enough Lilly.
An interesting story, horribly written.
Brooke Butler
Brooke Butler marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2015
  • The Baroness: The Search for Nica, the Rebellious Rothschild
  • Slimmer: The New Mediterranean Way to Lose Weight
  • An Atomic Love Story: The Extraordinary Women in Robert Oppenheimer's Life
  • American Lady: The Life of Susan Mary Alsop
  • Scatter My Ashes at Bergdorf Goodman
  • Read My Pins: Stories from a Diplomat's Jewel Box
  • The Burlesque Handbook
  • Children of the Underground (Children of Paranoia #2)
  • The Black Apple's Paper Doll Primer: Activities and Amusements for the Curious Paper Artist
  • The Many Lives of Miss K: Toto Koopman - Model, Muse, Spy
  • The Mother Who Stayed: Stories
  • Wonder Woman: The Story of the Amazon Princess
  • Hijacking the Runway: How Celebrities Are Stealing the Spotlight from Fashion Designers
  • What to Wear, Where: The How-to Handbook for Any Style Situation
  • Scalia: A Court of One
  • I Can't Be Good All the Time: An Anne Taintor Collection
  • Cook Yourself Thin Faster: Have Your Cake and Eat It Too with Over 75 New Recipes You Can Make in a Flash!
  • Always Pack a Party Dress: And Other Lessons Learned From a (Half) Life in Fashion
Kathryn E. Livingston has been writing about parenting issues for more than twenty-five years; recently, she’s turned her pen to the topic of yoga.

Livingston blogs for the Huffington Post on seasoned motherhood and empty-nest issues, and for the Kundalini yoga music website Spirit Voyage, and her work appears in the popular online yoga magazine Elephant Journal. She is a supporting blogger for Dr.
More about Kathryn Livingston...