Start by marking “A Season in Time: Super Mario, Killer, St. Patrick, the Great One, and the Unforgettable 1992-93 NHL Season” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
A Season in Time: Supe...

Todd Denault

A celebration of the twentieth anniversary of one of the greatest seasons in hockey historyTwenty years after the fact, the mere mention of the 1992-93 NHL season brings back vivid memories for hockey fans across North America. The last time that the Montreal Canadiens hoisted the Stanley Cup, Wayne Gretzky's last appearance in a playoff final, and Mario Lemieux's most ins ...more
Published September 18th 2012 by John Wiley & Sons (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about A Season in Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Season in Time

Brent Venton
Oct 15, 2012 Brent Venton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For hockey fans of a certain vintage, this book is a wonderful trip down memory lane. It was such a different time for hockey back then and our collective experience in the twenty years since makes so many of the stories Denault relates all the more remarkable. This was truly an amazing, unparallelled year for hockey and the author documents it admirably.

The research poured into the book is impressive. Denault is a sound hockey scholar who mined old hockey articles, newspapers and magazines as w
Albert
Aug 03, 2013 Albert rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The writing in this book wasn't spectacular, but Denault did do his homework, interviewing dozens of players, coaches, GM's, journalists, and people involved in the game. I felt this book would've been better presented as TV documentary of interviews and game highlights. Even though this book does not merit any awards in sports journalism, it was nonetheless a fun trip down memory lane for anybody who was a fan of the game at the time.

One is particularly struck by the sheer number of historic m
Jason
Sep 02, 2013 Jason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This author deserves a lot of credit for all the research he did for this book. It is one of the few sports books where I didn't notice any errors in dates or years of things happening.

I wish he would have gotten reflections from more of the players looking back on that season. But I'm sure access to Lemiuex and Lindros would be tough.

Overall I enjoyed this book and would recommend it for and hockey or sports fan.
Michael Barba
This book felt like it was born out of the idea to write a book about the 92-93 Leafs with details on the rest of the season filled in from there, with too many dull Doug Gilmour and Pat Burns quotes taking up unnecessary space to make the book enjoyable. It's okay reading for hockey fans looking to fill the void of hockey during the summer, but unless you have a strong affinity for the 92-93 season there's much better options out there.
Jeff
Oct 19, 2012 Jeff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sports
A great hockey read about the last great offensive season in the NHL: '92/'93. This was around the time when I first started to get into hockey (I'd attend my first Caps game in December of '93), so the events that are described in this book really took me back.

From the explosion of goalscorers, to Mario Lemieux's battle with Hodgkin's disease, through the entire 1993 playoff run, this book captures everything in a nutshell, and does it well. It truly was the end of an era.
Jay Rossi
It was interesting and fun to go back and relive one of the last great hockey seasons although suffering through the Pens early departure to the Isles was still tough. A lot of names and good stories but it felt like I was reading the world's longest ever newspaper article wrapping up a season, not a game.
Jeremy
Exhaustively researched and well put together, the book revolves around one of the most interesting hockey campaigns in the NHL's history. The writing itself wasn't special, I am more impressed by the comprehensiveness of his research. The many officials, players, coaches, journalists who weigh in on various events make the facts come to life.
Fritzov
Apr 12, 2013 Fritzov rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sports, none-fiction, 2013
92/93 was the year i got into the NHL. Snes version of NHL was being played around the clock and we without any NHL broadcasting in sweden and this being way before the internet ages we followed games via teletext.
This book brings me back to those days and gives me lot more information and duels that was unavailable to us due to lack of information.
Patti
Aug 09, 2014 Patti rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A LOT of detail. More than your average hockey fan (like me) can grasp. Still, a decent read, and I picked up a few trivia bits that I didn't know.
Steven Spoelstra
An amazing recollection of the awesome 1992-93 NHL hockey season. The last best season.
Matt Kamm
Matt Kamm rated it it was amazing
Aug 14, 2016
Brad Bogner
Brad Bogner rated it really liked it
Oct 17, 2013
Mikko
Mikko rated it it was amazing
Nov 01, 2012
Shelley
Shelley rated it it was amazing
Sep 20, 2014
William Sturm
William Sturm rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2014
Paul Stein
Paul Stein rated it really liked it
Mar 24, 2015
Gord
Gord rated it really liked it
Dec 02, 2012
David Horton
David Horton rated it really liked it
May 08, 2014
Nathan Dawson
Nathan Dawson rated it really liked it
Mar 06, 2015
Dan H.
Dan H. rated it really liked it
Apr 07, 2013
Charles Hunt
Charles Hunt rated it it was amazing
Oct 10, 2014
Wayne Crosbie
Wayne Crosbie rated it it was amazing
Dec 18, 2015
Charles
Charles rated it liked it
Nov 21, 2012
Paul Nickson
Paul Nickson rated it it was amazing
May 04, 2014
Richard Lunardi
Richard Lunardi rated it it was amazing
May 29, 2014
Nathan Lajoie
Nathan Lajoie rated it it was amazing
Feb 27, 2016
Christopher Kenney
Christopher Kenney rated it liked it
Mar 05, 2017
Daniel
Daniel rated it really liked it
Nov 04, 2012
Tim
Tim rated it liked it
Dec 23, 2012
Scott Mccready
Scott Mccready rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2014