Around the Writer's Block: Using Brain Science to Solve Writer's Resistance

Around the Writer's Block: Using Brain Science to Solve Writer's Resistance

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  63 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Discover the tricks that your brain uses to keep you from writing--and how to beat them. Do you: Want to write, but find it impossible to get started? Keep your schedules so full that you don't have any time to write? Wait until the last minute to write, even though you know you could do a better job if you gave yourself more time? Suddenly remember ten other things that y...more
Published August 1st 2012 by Tarcher

To ask other readers questions about Around the Writer's Block, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Around the Writer's Block

Rose
Initial reaction: I'm actually surprised at how good this was as an expansion on what to do when writers get "writer's block" or otherwise stuck in a variety of different modes. Some of these things I already put into practice, but I never had a name for them until now. Bane explains everything in an easy to understand and logical format. I really enjoyed reading this.

Full review:

I wasn't expecting to pick this book up at all - it was a random buy that I got with an Amazon Gift Card and I decide...more
Natasha
For months - nay, years - even with academic and professional commitments to writing, I wrote only a fraction of what I intended to. The best-laid plans were cast aside in the face of my incomprehensible resistance. It was hard to determine whether I was just lazy, or had genuine "writer's block," but what did it really matter? I wasn't writing, and I wasn't happy about it.

"Around the Writer's Block" makes sense of your resistance, whatever form it takes. In fact, even if you do happen to be a p...more
Tarl
Every so often, you come across a book on writing that simply blows your mind with the concepts that it brings to your writer's toolbox. This is one of those books. After learning about Bane's book in the 'Poets and Writers' magazine, I decided to check it out due to its unique look at creative blocks and brain science. What I ended up learning from this book was not only mind blowing in regards to my work, but also to my every day life.

Bane does a good job keeping this book from getting dull, h...more
Brandylien
I struggle with chemo brain, mom brain, and apparently writer's brain, too. This book was so interesting in terms of detailing some basics for how neuroscience impacts creativity and the innate tendency to not produce. According to the author, it's a war between the limbic system and the cortex: fight-or-flight vs. higher thinking functions. And let's face it, the prospect of writing can scare the bejeezus out of us--the idea of putting ourselves out there for the world to see, our faults, weakn...more
K
I received this book from a Goodreads giveaway.

I would not say this solely a book for writers. The principles and activities presented will indeed fend off writer's block, but they would also provide an incredible foundation for any activity which suffers similar fate. One could utilize the techniques listed to practice a number of various skills and use the information in every day life to become more productive.

The problem solving starts with a plan to 'show up' for writing for 15 minutes a d...more
Brenda Cobbs
I've read a lot of how-to-write books over the years, but not all of them tackle the blocks your own brain sets up for you. AWB does that. Rosanne Bane brings in cognitive therapy techniques to help you sidestep that little voice in the back of your brain that keeps the block in place. She also gives reason and her okay to little writing quirks, such as particular clothes, places, etc, and explains why the quirks are not only okay, but also helpful to your writing.

And like another reviewer said...more
Kay
I won this book on Goodreads giveaway!!

I am so glad I won this book because it is so helpful in teaching you how to get past the everyday things that keep you from writing. It also teaches you how to focus and explains things in a basic format that is easy enough for even a beginner writer to understand. I have been wanting to write a book for a long time now. I have great ideas and have started the book several times then stopped. This book taught me how to stay on track with my writing so hope...more
swanpetal

**I won this book through Goodreads Giveaways**

This book was easy to read and understand. The book was not weighed down with scientific terminology which was a plus. The tips and advice are helpful at breaking through resistance in writing. I found myself thinking about other aspects in my life and this book can help in those areas as well.

I recommend this book to writers who experience writer's block. Thank you for sending me this book!

Rabbit {run little Red Ridinghood}
This book was worth the hype and lives up to the title.

It showed me how I could easily rewire my brain to help prevent the freezing feeling when you don't know what to write next, procrastination, and writer's block.

I learned that writer's block is actually a part of the writer's cycle.

I love how this book can apply to ANY form of writing, instead of just fiction.
Garry Evens
This may be the only self-help book for writers that might actually help writers. There are no gimmicks here; rather, it teaches writers how to develop a working relationship with their craft and how to subvert those demons that talk us out of writing.

Linda
Read over and over and over. So much good stuff in here. Full disclosure: I am working with Rosanne on publicity and event coordination. Very gladly, very excitedly.
Stephanie
Burned through this on the Kobo because the subject matter is of, ah, ahem, IMMEDIATE interest to me. *grin*

Lots to think about. Still processing.
Linda Bond
Very helpful to a procrastinating writer.
Mina Khan
Very interesting read that delves in psychology of writing and not writing. And yes, found some new ideas to try. Definitely worth reading.
Kari Marie
I've been struggling for months with my writing and motivation and this book not only helped me to understand why, but it gave me concrete ways that I could begin to rebuild my writing practice. Not only will this book help me with my writing, but I can see applying these techniques to many other areas of my life. This book is a resource I will return to again and again.

Tom Britz
Finally a book that gives hope. For years I thought I was just being lazy and feeling bad. This book gives clear evidence that even the best laid plans need information. Highly recommended!
Alexis
An interesting book about writer's block, the science of writer's block and what you can do to combat it.
Brian Dunn
Brian Dunn marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Amy H
Amy H is currently reading it
Sep 13, 2014
Madison W
Madison W marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Katie
Katie is currently reading it
Sep 18, 2014
Jamie Galego
Jamie Galego marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Matthew Scully
Matthew Scully is currently reading it
Aug 11, 2014
Krista
Krista marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Dancing in the Dragon's Den: Rekindling the Creative Fire in Your Shadow Dancing In The Dragon's Den: Guided Imageries To Rekindle Your Creative Fire