Meeting Evil

Meeting Evil

3.41 of 5 stars 3.41  ·  rating details  ·  146 ratings  ·  22 reviews
"Meeting Evil "tells an adrenaline-pumped, genuinely frightening tale of malevolence that swerves swiftly and irrevocably to a catastrophic climax.
John Felton meets evil late one Monday morning when the doorbell rings. Standing on the front porch is a stranger. He wears expensive running shoes and a baseball cap and calls himself Richie. He tells John his car has stalled...more
Published May 1st 2012 by Riverhead Books (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Meeting Evil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Meeting Evil

Joshua
Sometimes I'm baffled by the average scores on goodreads--this is one of those times. I only finished this awful book just to unleash a rare one star review!

This was just terrible, from start to finish, which was kind of a surprise because I've read a few other Berger books (Being Invisible, Neighbors, Little Big Man) and enjoyed those a lot. Same direct Berger style but the story of a man who is accidentally drawn into a hellish day of crime he can't get out of absolutely drove me crazy.

Frank...more
Aaron Martz
A freaky, disturbing thriller about an everyday man who is kidnapped by a seemingly cold-blooded and thoughtless maniac who eventually reveals his intellectual stance on his behavior. This book, which takes place over the course of a single evening, is gut-wrenching, unbearable to read in places, but nonetheless captivating and thoroughly engrossing. Berger is an author of almost unequal intelligence gifted with a supreme high brow humor which he often employs to skewer middle class values. It's...more
Nancy Sirvent
Aug 21, 2011 Nancy Sirvent rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Nancy by: John Cotter (Open Letters Monthly)
Shelves: read-in-2011, ebook
This is part 2 of my descent into literary psychopath stories. Berger is a top-notch writer. I plowed through the book in a day. It's also darkly funny, in a way that surprises. At first I thought the main character was idiotic in an extreme way that I found unbelievable. But as the novel progressed, he started reminding me of a few people I have know. Idiotic and believable.
Chris Cangiano
Mild-mannered realtor and family man John Felton makes the mistake of opening the front door and agreeing to a stranger with car trouble. Unbeknownst to John, the stranger Richie is a total sociopath and John will spend the rest of the "worst day of his life" being dragged, sort of, along on Richie's crime spree. Berger effectively builds the novel's momentum and the relentless dream/nightmare logic upon which the action is premised. However, you will best be able to appreciate Meeting Evil if y...more
Christie
According to Jonathan Lethem, Thomas Berger is “one of America’s three or four greatest living novelists.” I’d never heard of him when I added Meeting Evil to my tbr list, then shelf – where it languished for several years before I finally got around to reading it.

Meeting Evil is the story of John Felton, a young real estate agent suffering through the downturn in the American economy. He’s married to Joanie, father to Melanie and Philip and his life is about to get very complicated. It’s Monda...more
Jessica
It’s a normal morning when John Felton answers a knock at the door of his family’s home. Standing on the doorstep is a stranger who claims that he’s having car trouble and would like help pushing his car down the road towards the nearest service station. John, a middle class Real Estate agent with a wife and 2 children likes to think that he is a nice, helpful, and polite guy so he agrees to help the stranger. This decision is the first of many that make John’s day go totally off track into dan...more
Ed
Disturbing yet compelling. The only problem for me was that once the protagonist's day of tragic misfortune began is was pretty clear that it would snowball in predictable ways until the last few pages. The only mystery was how it would be resolved. Still, four stars.
I hadn't realized that the author, Thomas Berger, (Little Big Man, et al.), died just a little over a month ago.
Reggie
Meeting Evil is a breathless, suburban horror story, in which husband, father, and Real-Estate salesman, John Felton finds himself suddenly "the best friend" of Richie, a man with a decidedly bent sense of the way the world should be. In one very long day-from-hell, John goes from feeding his children and folding laundry to making life-or-death decisions, all the while contemplating his motivations for his life.

Presented in what amounts to acts, Meeting Evil is a thrill ride. The white-knuckle...more
Barry Mann
The protagonists actions seemed to defy rationality, made the whole book feel forced.
Trisha
Just like that annoying song on the radio that you can't help singing along to, this novel is truy infuriating yet totally compelling. I wanted to reach into the pages and wring the neck of the main character who stumbled from one bad decision to another. Berger did somehow catch the flawed thinking, vulnerability, and self-doubt that we all experience at times quite masterfully. You will have to judge this one for yourself!
Michelle (tinyturtle88)
It took me such a long time to read this book. I read it in spurts. It was disturbing in the sense that you're annoyed at everything that the main character does, doesn't do, says, doesn't say...everything snowballs and you're watching (reading) it all happen and want to say 'I told you so, stupid'. I thought this book would be a little creepier than it was, and I would say that it was not a page turner.
Adam Rosenbaum
Approaching Jim Thompson's masterpiece Pop 1280 for its horrifying look at the evil that lurks around us, but not quite as pulpy. Sometimes looking at ourselves with a true objective eye reveals truths we don't want to see. It seems realtors make quite a suitable protaganist in todays fiction (see Richard)Ford.) Wonder why that is so..I'm a realtor.

Lew Serviss
I went to bed with about 40 pages to go and had to get up and finish this dark tale. Unnerving book that can make you uncomfortable, but will you ever turn the pages! Berger is a master. Addendum: They turned this into a dreadful movie that massively rewrote the original. It was as if Richie went at Thomas Berger's manuscript with a meat cleaver.
Mariahkay Callahan
From the very beginning my basic reaction was just, "really?...really?...REALLY?". I haven't read a book that I have disliked more in a long long time and regret even spending $2.99 on it at a used book store. If this review was too vague to deter you from wanting to read 'Meeting Evil' then refer to the first review on the page.
Jorge
Una novela de Berger llena de una tensión que no termina hasta la última página. Rivalidad, brochazos de emociones encontradas, frialdad y calidez, deseo incontenible y miedo de actuar. Una narración que contiene lo necesario para tener al lector en una montaña de expectativas, ilusiones y desilusiones. Mayo 2013
Greg
I'm excited to read something else by the author, but I just couldn't commit 100% to Meeting Evil. It's like the movie Very Bad Things, except not quite as believable. Maybe I needed to read it differently, but I didn't buy all the motivations. Even still, it was entertaining and a fast read.
Bea
(reseña completa)http://mentelectora.blogspot.com.es/2...

Es un libro que me ha gustado mucho y me ha tenido enganchada de principio a final. Cierto es que el protagonista, en ocasiones, da mucha rabia por como actúa.
Tim
Berger's story of an ordinary man pulled into a series of criminal misadventures by a rogue he tries to help is generally involving and entertaining. It's nothing extraordinary — it's no "Little Big Man," to be sure — but I was not disappointed.
David
This is not one of Berger's best, the main character is just a little too feckless for the book to be compelling. Also, the relationship between the wife and husband seems way off to the way normal couples interact.
Michele Sanders rosette
This book was awful. The premise was beyond ridiculous and the writing was terrible. I read it because I heard it was made into a Sam Jackson movie and I'm a fan. Sam should've passed on this stinker.
Alexis Steven
Me esperaba y no lo que encontré en el libro.
Valerie
Stupid, poorly written, not good Period
Julio  Mendizábal
Julio Mendizábal marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Kris
Kris marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Josh
Josh marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Rocktoddy
Rocktoddy marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Lindsay Mclean
Lindsay Mclean marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Thomas Louis Berger is an American novelist. Probably best known for his picaresque novel Little Big Man and the subsequent film by Arthur Penn, Berger has explored and manipulated many genres of fiction throughout his career, including the crime novel, the hard-boiled detective story, science fiction, the utopian novel, plus re-workings of classical mythology, Arthurian legend, and the survival a...more
More about Thomas Berger...
Little Big Man Arthur Rex Neighbors The Return of Little Big Man Sneaky People