Start by marking “Hector and the Search for Lost Time” as Want to Read:
Hector and the Search for Lost Time

Hector and the Search for Lost Time (Hector #3)

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  466 ratings  ·  39 reviews
The delightful third book in the multimillion-copy internationally bestselling series
"Being up against the clock was a real problem for so many people, thought Hector. What could he possibly do to help them?"
First he tackled happiness. Then he took on love. And now Hector, our endearing young French psychiatrist, confronts the persistent march of time.
His patients lamen...more
Published July 1st 2012 by Penguin Books (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Hector and the Search for Lost Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hector and the Search for Lost Time

Alexandra Graßler
Auch in diesem Buch geht Hector wieder auf die Reise. Diesmal nicht auf der Suche nach dem Glück oder der Liebe, sondern nach der Zeit. Ihm fällt auf, dass viele seiner Patienten über entweder mangelnde Zeit klagen oder über Langeweile. Manche möchten unbedingt schon älter sein und manche trauern ihren jüngeren Jahren nach. Verbindend ist, dass die meisten nicht glücklich darüber sind, wie sich die Zeit in ihrem Leben ausdrückt. Und so beginnt Hector Ideen von Zeitetüden festzuhalten, mit Hilfe...more
Nazim Suzaly
The early parts of the book had be guessing that is this book almost the same as Mitch Albom's Timekeeper book but it isn't since this book questions more on our perception on time.

I really enjoyed reading the 2 other Hector books but this one was a little dull for me since the plot is more on the question of Hector and his age from my POV and I didn't find it exciting as much as the other series.

However the good thing about this book is that it has a few philosophy in it and I always like any...more
I don't know why I keep coming back to Hector, but he is just a wayward, little French psychiatrist I want to shake around. On this adventure, Hector has returned home from China to be with his lady-love, Clara, and regain ground on his life and enjoy the happiness and love that he has searched the world for. Unfortunately, Hector is disturbed by all his patients and Clara about their quest for their own happiness and love while time keeps ticking by. He has been with Clara for a long time and n...more
Alexandra
I thoroughly enjoyed the first of Hector series - Hector and the Search for Happiness. But this one...I'm not so sure.

Yes, it's enjoyable in some parts, a little child-like, but...it's still just okay. It's almost like I'm going round and round in circles trying to "find time". And then there were some complicated equations about defining time in the most scientific way ever and I get lost.

Some of his Time Exercises are meaningful, and got me thinking real hard about Time. While some I let pas...more
JoV
After reading Hector and the Search for Happiness, I have decided to pick up Hector Finds Time to see if I can learn a thing or two out of it. I didn’t expect much out of this book because after the Hector and the Search for Happiness, the novelty of Hector’s quirky journey and complex-theory-made-simple speak started to wear off.

While the advice in The Search of Happiness was generally profound, in Hector finds time it is not so. There were a few advice or time exercise that I go “huh?” just be...more
Krys
Kim Tong Lim
Francois Lelord, himself a psychiatrist, created this fictional character named Hector in his first novel “Hector and the Search for Happiness”. The writer continued with the same fictional character in his third book. This time round, Hector journeyed on to find the answer to why people are up against the clock and why people are always short of time for activities. He is trying to understand why some people wanted to slow down time; why some wanted to speed time up and why most worried about t...more
Winna
I loved the first Hector book, felt okay about the second, but didn't like the third all that much. There's more of philosophy instead of psychology in this one, with more or less the same characters from the previous books plus some new ones.

I find some quotes and exercises to be meaningful, for example, the past does not exist (it's been gone), the future doesn't exist (it hasn't happened), the present does not exist (as soon as we talk about it, it has become the past). However, it becomes a...more
Alex
Auch mit dem 3. Buch der Reihe versäumt es Lelord leider an sein großartiges erstes Werk anzuknüpfen.

Das Buch wirkt, wie auch schon der direkte Vorgänger, gezwungen und aufgesetzt. Die Notizen, welche sich Hector auf seiner Reise macht, kommen mittlerweile wie schlechte Übungen und Regeln aus einem Ratgeberbuch rüber. Dies zerstört den Charme und die Tiefe, welche beim ersten Buch zum Nachdenken anregte fast vollständig.

Nichtdestotrotz war auch dieses Buch wieder eine schöne unterhaltsame Geschi...more
Andi
Hm. Alles in allem war es ganz gut. Nichts wirklich Neues oder Weltbewegendes. "Glück" hat mir besser gefallen, weil es mir, als ich es gelesen habe, über eine schwere Zeit hinweggeholfen hat. Was ich mochte, war dass der Mönch wieder auftauchte und dass es keine endgültige Lösung für den Umgang mit dem Älterwerden gab. Es regt auf jeden Fall zum Nachdenken an, und das ist immer gut. Aber mir ist aufgefallen, dass ich Hector gar nicht mag. Gut ist, dass Lelord eine Figur gezeichnet hat, die mens...more
Agnes Fontana
Idée sympathique, comme pour le premier "Voyage" : tracassé par un problème (autrefois le bonheur, maintenant le Temps), Hector, psychiatre, part à l'aventure et au travers des personnages qu'il va rencontrer, va se familiariser avec les principaux courants de pensées philosophiques, scientifiques et religieux sur le temps. Mais le ton infantilisant est trop appuyé, les femmes sont systématiquement prises pour des c... (leur seul problème avec le temps, c'est de ne pas avoir de bébé, en fait), e...more
Matt Hill
i normally like this kind of thing (parable, etc.) . . this read like *the phantom tollbooth* or something like that a little, yet more obviously for adults . . but this just seemed kind of tedious . . i do think it's fun for the author to have a lot of freedom, not need to follow more traditional conventions, etc. . .

i'm giving it a three because it seems like there are some good bits of wisdom in there re: time . . which, of course, was the point . . so, while i didn't love it, it's valuable...more
Jeimy
The Hector trilogy gets better with time. As well as the usual psychological and philosophical viewpoints presented in Lelord's books on happiness and love, we are given scientific insights from the branches of biology and physics.

Once again we see Hector embarking on a voyage where, luckily, he meets people tackling the issue he wants to delve deeper into. On this occasion, the subject is time. Patients, old friends, Clara, and new people he will encounter throughout the book will give him foo...more
Yuni Amir
François Lelond's Hector & The Search For Lost Time is almost similar to Sophie's World. However, the lacks of proper sequent to address his ideas about time got me lost over time. The way he name-dropping famous philosophers put me off as well.
Leslie
A gentle little book, mildly entertaining, that is part of a series. I haven't read the first two books so I don't know if they are along the same lines. The titles suggest it, though. Hector is a psychiatrist who sets out to discover the meaning of time and help his patients handle their perceptions of time and their lives. He travels to China and meets a lot of wise people and comes up with a series of exercises that he thinks will help his patients. Along the way he discovers some things abou...more
Tess
Nice but not very remarkable. Each time I picked it up again, I had almost forgotten what had happened before. Some things about the main character really rubbed me the wrong way: his assumption every woman's goal in life is to have babies and how he finds it very, very hard not to do "stupid things" (i.e. cheat on his girlfriend) whenever he meets a mildly attractive woman (and still claims to be oh-so in love).

But these were just some minor details, really. All in all, it's a nice philosophic...more
Jlseldon7 Schertz
This was my favorite of the Hector Series
Saphirablue
Claude
A strangely interesting read.
Aziza Aouhassi
Un style emprunté des livres d'enfants.. Contient tout de même des idées et questions intéressantes sur le temps
Neil George
I've read all the Hector books and I have to say that although I did enjoy this one, it was my least favourite. I still like the sense of innocence in the writing and the way the author uses the almost child-like approach to describe some significant truths. But I didn't really go for the philosophy instead of psychiatry in this one. That said, some interesting thoughts about time. And a good last sentence designed to make you think back over the whole book - clever!
Savannah
The book wrapped up the trilogy quite nicely in my opinion. All the loose ends were tied and I was left with that warm fuzzy feeling. I found this book to be a lot more confusing than the other two. It contained a lot of philosophy which is always hard to follow. I had to re-read sentences multiple times to figure out what they meant and sometimes I still couldn't figure it out. However it had a great message as did the previous two novels and I am glad that I read it.
Jericho Eames
This book is really deep on all the philosophical ideas. I must say that it is a lovely series.
Ritja
Hector geht mit dem Leser die Fragen der Zeit durch und stößt immer wieder auf Überraschungen. Neben seiner Entdeckung der Zeit reist er noch nach China, um einen alten Mönchen zu besuchen. Er trifft Menschen, die er lange nicht mehr gesehen hat und klärt Fragen, die ihn schon lange beschäftigen. Ein ruhiges Buch über Zeit, Verständnis, Nachdenken und der Versuch es zu verstehen.
Melissa
A quaint little book and a short read. I picked it up because I thought it could possibly be about time travel (spoiler: it is not about time travel). An interesting look at how we perceive time, how others perceive time and how we deal with the inevitability that time is creeping away always.
Ibyang
The endearing French psychiatrist from Hector and the Search for Happiness confronts the inevitable progression of time while helping his patients resolve time-related issues and growing aware of his evolving adulthood, observations he addresses while traveling the world.
Belinda
My first Hector book in the series. A cute idea of featuring a fictional story with underlying concepts in self-help and philosophy as Hector questions the idea of time and its experience and role in our lives. Definitely interesting to read the others in the series too!
Wanrong
Light-hearted, yet thought-provoking read. I enjoy Hector, the slightly quirky writing (can almost imagine reading it in French, except my language ability isn't strong enough), and the philosophical touches. Read it in one sitting.
Kenny
It was interesting at some points, but overall, it didn't have such an impact on me as his first book. Perhaps I've got 4 more dogs left in me, that's why I don't normally have an issue with time.
  • La Secte des égoïstes
  • Die Entdeckung der Langsamkeit
  • Die Stimmen des Flusses
  • Prisoners of Our Thoughts: Viktor Frankl's Principles for Discovering Meaning in Life and Work
  • Die Häupter meiner Lieben
  • Herzsprung
  • Glück kommt selten allein...
  • Nachrichten aus einem unbekannten Universum: Eine Zeitreise durch die Meere
  • Ich bin dann mal weg: Meine Reise auf dem Jakobsweg
  • Die Dienstagsfrauen
  • Mängelexemplar
  • Der alte König in seinem Exil
  • Johnno
  • Der Koch
  • Die Mütter-Mafia (Mütter-Mafia, #1)
  • Fabian. Die Geschichte eines Moralisten
  • Amokspiel
  • Chronicler of the Winds
François Lelord, born 22 June 1953 in Paris is a French psychiatrist and author. He studied medicine and psychology. After getting his doctoral degree in 1985, he was a post-doctorate researcher with Robert Liberman at the University of California (UCLA), Los Angeles. He then worked as an attending physician at Hôpital Necker (which is affiliated with Descartes University) in Paris for two years.
I...more
More about François Lelord...
Hector and the Search for Happiness Hector and the Secrets of Love Hector & Hector und die Geheimnisse des Lebens Hector und das Wunder der Freundschaft Ulik au pays du désordre amoureux