Start by marking “Hot Cripple: An Incurable Smart-Ass Takes on the Health Care System and Lives to Tell the Tale” as Want to Read:

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  131 ratings  ·  33 reviews
From Prada to poverty-one woman's harrowing and hilarious journey
Ex-model Hogan Gorman was living the typical New York working actor's life-auditions and classes by day, waitressing and fending off handsy customers by night-when a wise (or just crazy) friend convinced her to ask the universe for a change. And she got one-coming at her at forty miles per hour. Hit by a car
Published March 1st 2012 by Perigee Books

To ask other readers questions about Hot Cripple, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hot Cripple

Nikki
This is a fabulous real life account of how one woman, an ex-model turned aspiring actress and cocktail waitress, has to deal with a devastating and debilitating accident when she is hit by a car while crossing a street and found with no health insurance.

Her story is universal. The writing is witty, with just the right amount of snark, and Hogan's story is heartbreaking and engaging... and all too common here in America. This book raises a lot of questions about our healthcare system, insurance
David
Actress/model living in NYC was hit by a car and badly injured, then has to jump through hoops in the social services and legal systems to get her injuries treated and her expenses covered.

Disclaimer: I feel bad giving her book a bad review because I feel bad for her having had this accident and suffering so much pain and turmoil.

Having said that, it's not a good book. First, the "hot" hook is completely irrelevant. Judging from the book photo, she's indeed an attractive woman, and I take her at
Carey
I couldn't put this book down! It was the perfect combination of informative and entertaining, of fact and descriptive detail, that made it both a source of information and a narrative story. Hogan's retelling of her accident and everything that followed made me laugh and cry. I've survived my own medical and health insurance traumas and could relate so strongly to what she went through.

What is so wonderful about Hot Cripple is that Hogan isn't a pious, preaching, holier than thou voice, saying,
Bev
I read this book several months ago after reading an article about it somewhere - can't quite remember where now. I've always enjoyed reading real life accounts of how people deal with the problems that life throws their way and with Hogan Gorman life really knocked her for a loop (as my Dad would say). For anyone who is doubting why we need health care reform in this country - this book is for you. It's a fast, straight forward, fun read. Sometimes I thought the author must have been embellishi ...more
Trish
Every elected government official should be required to read this book before they are allowed to vote on anything that has to do with health care or welfare reform. It is appalling what an injured person or someone down on their luck has to go through in this country to get help. They should also have to live for a month on the amount of money given out for food stamps. Has anyone been in a grocery store lately or tried to negotiate through a medical emergency and its aftermath without health i ...more
Patricia
This book surprised me in the end. Most of the book consists of the story of when the author was hit by a car and severely injured while uninsured. She writes with a lot of humor and her story certainly makes the case for a universal health care system like those of Canada and Europe - at least to my mind. But I didn't really warm up to the book until her court case settled and she got the opportunity to travel to India on a spiritual journey. Her insights from that trip and her subsequent refle ...more
Deborah
An incredible story about the woes in our health industry and social services, told with aplomb, grace, and a full helping of humor.

Marlon Brando: I coulda been a contender. I coulda been somebody.

The Music You Can’t Remember Since the Accident
Songs to Sing When You’re Road Kill

giving my best come-hither bedroom eyes

As long as you’re confident, you can wear anything you want.

Why isn’t there any communication between the government agencies and the general public. Poster on the subway: You’re hu
Melody
Sobering, infuriating and really engrossing, this book tells the story of what happened to Gorman, an actress/waitress without health insurance, after she got hit by a car flying down the street at 40 mph. She tells about her journey into penury and public assistance with relentless cheerfulness and verve. I felt for her, every word of the book. I recognize the knife edge she walked on and I dread the day I might stand in her shoes.

Recommended.
Beth Cummings
This memoir was great. It could have been written as a pure sob story, but the author's sassy, smart ass sense of humor makes it extremely entertaining.
Ali Pfautz
We all know it can happen at any moment, an accident, a tragedy, that changes our lives forever. Gorman is funny and honest as she lays out the hours, days, months, and years of her painful journey after a car accident. She didn't have health insurance and suddenly her life is turned upside down, in an instant. The medical bills pile up as her bank acccounts empty out and she is unable to work. In addition to sparking further debate about our health care system, her story also reminds me of the ...more
Julianna
Oct 08, 2012 Julianna rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: The Chronically Awesome/Chronically Ill or anyone
Recommended to Julianna by: I saw it in a bookstore
As a chronically ill patient, reading this book had me nodding my head many many times. I saw myself in Hogan, going through the shame and humiliation of becoming "less than" in a society that treats the ill and handicapped as not really ready for prime time.
Nothing prepares us for the big "what if" of chronic illness or injury. Our parents teach us the basics of living, but never the basics of "almost" dying. And why should they?

Hogan writes with a sharp wit about her experience going from on i
Susan
Engaging, fast, funny & heart-breaking read. I am the furthest thing from a fashion model and could not relate much to the author's career and interests, but her story of getting injured in an accident (not her fault) without having insurance is universal. I'm lucky enough to have health insurance, but I know it is very precarious and I live in fear of a situation like hers happening to me.

Many of the things she writes about readers will know intellectually, but to hear the author's very per
Katie
She is funny, tragic, foul mouthed....but justifiably so. There is no denying Hogan Gorman had a horrible experience and survived it with style and strength. Her bias about healthcare policy at the end is less political than poignant. Her odyssey is painful to read but she keeps an edge so you never get sucked down to the depths she must have felt. The title is great. The fashion how-to lists were even better than the 'importance of couture' speech in The Devil Wears Prada.

The 'big reveal' of th
Karrie
The author annoyed me because she seemed very self centered. I do agree though that what she went through wasn't very fair and that our government and health care system is a bit messed up. I want to know how she ended up having enough money to go to India at the end of the book. It seems like she was borrowing some of "Eat, Pray, Love" during this section. I gave it two stars because if your bored and have nothing else to do its something easy to read.
Rose
Having a background in the health industry, this book intrigued me. Hogan suffers from a horrific car accident and this is not the "they live happily ever after" kind of novel.

You read her trials and tribulations as she rides through the corrupt healthcare system. She's funny, full of wit and has a good sense of humor despite the ill fortune thrown at her.

It was a nice pace of change kind of book to read!
Milissa Straka
Loved this book. What this poor girl went through at the hands of our screwed up medical and government systems is criminal but I love, love, love her story of courage and triumph and I hope she's laughing all the way to the bank on this book and flipping off the driver, his shrew of a wife, Judge Lush, and every other single ass-wipe she had to deal with. And I think her mom and I would be friends. ;)
Kristi Bumpus
I'd call this pretty dead-on ... and funny, too. Hogan's appealingly smart-ass attitude can't hide the horror that happens to her, though I admire her for it. It raises a lot of complicated questions about the way healthcare (and insurance) is handled in this country, along with the age-old theme of the young and their disregard for their own mortality until something threatens it.
Angela
What a funny book. It really makes you think about what certain people are going through and it's impossible not to feel sorry about what Hogan goes through. She was very courageous to go into such detail about personal things. The only thing I didn't like was the ending, where she talked strictly about America and how they run things. I skipped over that entire section.
Barbara Klipper
I picked this up at a conference, and couldn't resist the title (I am also an incurable smart ass). I found the book a fun read (strange to say given the topic), and a useful one as well. I actually passed it on to a relative facing some similar issues (accident, no insurance). Ms. Gorman puts a (beautiful) face on the scary gaps in our country's safety net. Good for her.
Leslie Boyd
Horrifying and funny. It's the story of a young woman whose life was changed in an instant by a speeding car and the fact that she couldn't afford health insurance. Gorman suffered unspeakable indignities at the hands of our broken health system and then found humor in all of it.
Julie
I liked it, it took about five minutes to read. From what she says, the authog thinks that it's going to make the rest of us feel better to know that a hot blonde can be grievously injured and be mistreated by the system--don't we all feel better now?
Rich
A darkly funny and easy read. There is a definite change of tone in the last chapters. I thought it would spend more time exploring health care from a consumer's point of view but it was more of a memoir of a difficult time in the author's life.
Tamar
Based on her one-woman show, the true story of the author getting hit by a car going 40 miles an hour, and surviving. But, she didn't have health insurance. Really funny take on a very sad situation. Excellent clip of her show on youtube. Hilarious!
Cat
This book was seriously obnoxious. I couldn't stand the author's voice or how pretentious she was. I also really didn't find her funny. The good parts of this book could have been boiled down to an essay of a couple thousand words.
Tiffany Arellano
I don't usually read the Acknowledgements much less the Author's Notes but that's exactly what I did. I just couldn't get enough of her "incurable smartass"-ism!! Fantastically written and a giggle on every page!
Ji Won
This book is out-of-this-world hilarious and very frank. No sugar-coating the realities of this world; the truth about our health-care system is scary, and Hogan portrays it very effectively. I LOVED THIS BOOK.
Veronica
A very truthful, comic, yet very sad account of what the health care/insurance system has come to in America. Written very well and with humor despite all that the author went through. A must read in my book!
Liza
I really liked it. When I was reading it I even Tweeted with Hogan to be sure it was a true story. It was so unbelievable i figured it was only loosely based. But it's all true. It is a Memior!
Missy
i thought this book was great. it was funny and inspiring.. i usually do not read biography type books but im glad i read this one
Marianne McKiernan
Never, ever give up health insurance. Ever. Our health care and legal systems are sometimes egregiously unfavorable to victims.
  • Watching Baseball, updated & revised: Discovering the Game within the Game
  • Happy Accidents: Serendipity in Modern Medical Breakthroughs
  • Enemies, A Love Story
  • Silent Witness: The Untold Story of Terri Schiavo's Death
  • Tillie the Terrible Swede: How One Woman, a Sewing Needle, and a Bicycle Changed History
  • Eleanor
  • Nothing Left to Burn
  • Odd Boy Out: Young Albert Einstein
  • Diamond in the Rough: A Memoir
  • One Bird's Choice: A Year in the Life of an Overeducated, Underemployed Twenty-Something Who Moves Back Home
  • Emma's Poem: The Voice of the Statue of Liberty
  • Letting Swift River Go
  • Emily
  • The Baseball: Stunts, Scandals, and Secrets Beneath the Stitches
  • The Wrong Stuff
  • Between Expectations: Lessons from a Pediatric Residency
  • Warm Springs: Traces of a Childhood at FDR's Polio Haven
  • Screenwriting Tricks For Authors (and Screenwriters!)
Hogan Gorman is an actress and writer living in Manhattan. She received the 2008 FringeNYC Overall Excellence Award for her one-woman stage production of Hot Cripple.
More about Hogan Gorman...