Start by marking “Charlie Chan Carries On (Charlie Chan, #5)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Charlie Chan Carries On

Earl Derr Biggers

Charlie Chan Carries On (Charlie Chan #5)

In this fifth installment of the classic series of mysteries featuring the Chinese-American detective Charlie Chan of the Honolulu Police, readers are confronted by a mystery so confounding by twists and turns that it can only take Inspector Chan to bring it to a satisfactory conclusion.
Published July 1st 2012 by Academy Chicago Publishers (first published 1930)

To ask other readers questions about Charlie Chan Carries On, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Charlie Chan Carries On

Nathanael Smith
Jan 04, 2013 Nathanael Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I grew up watching the old Charlie Chan movies with Sydney Toler, in fact I can vividly remember one evening involving a rather painful earache and the Shanghai Cobra, but it wasn't until recently that I actually read the books. Earl Derr Biggers is a wonderfully romantic and sentimental writer who was exceptionally capable of capturing the moods of days long gone by. His stories set in Hawaii do this to a remarkable degree and while reading them I find myself wishing I could visit those days lo ...more
Hannah
Aug 30, 2011 Hannah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries, 2011-reads
#5 in the Charlie Chan series, and once again I'm very pleased with Earl Derr Biggers' writing style and his engaging sleuth. However, it's very unfair to the reader that Inspector Chan doesn't show up to begin his detecting until page 185. I'm unsure of why Biggers decided to provide each murder mystery he penned with a "primary" secondary detective (a male character that is showcased almost 50% of the story) and a "secondary" primary detective (Charlie Chan), but it sometimes gets annoying tha ...more
Yordan Dimov
Като за плажно крими става, макар и да не е с такава идея. Лека загадъчност имаше само.. и повече предвидимост.. тъй че като 3 звездички.
Jim Dooley
Feb 16, 2014 Jim Dooley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Charlie Chan is definitely back in this one, harkening back to the character I had enjoyed so much in the first and third books. Fans may be less pleased because he doesn't physically arrive until Chapter 13 out of 23 chapters. However, the mystery is a crackling good one with plenty of red herring clues, an assortment of distinct and memorable characters, and the most ruthless villain I've encountered so far in the series...a serial killer who would give some modern day counterparts a run for t ...more
Larry Piper
Although this is a Charlie Chan book, Charlie doesn't actually show up until the second-half of the book. Rather, Inspector Duff of Scotland Yard, whom we met in Charlie's third adventure in San Francisco, is the major protagonist in the first-half of the book.

A member of a party on a round-the-world tour is murdered in a London hotel. Inspector Duff investigates, but can't pin the crime on any of the members of the party and eventually has to let them continue on with the trip. Duff gets leave
Scilla
May 29, 2010 Scilla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chief Inspector Duff is called to the Broome Hotel in London to investigate the murder of a kindly old gentleman, Hugh Drake, a member of a world tour led by Dr. Lofton. Drake's granddaughter, Pamela Potter agrees to help Duff. There are several suspects among those on the tour, which finally continues to the Riviera, where the next two murders take place. The usual love interest of the 1920's mysteries is between Pamela and Mark Kennaway, the companion to old retired lawyer, Mr. Tait. A Scotlan ...more
Abbey
1930, #5 Charlie Chan, Honolulu, Hawaii; closed-community whodunit, very traditional, rather fun. A murderer joins an already quite peculiar group on a world tour circa 1930, and no-one is safe, not even the detectives; considered the fifth Charlie Chan novel, although he doesn't appear until close to the end.

This fifth of six 'Charlie Chan Novels' to be lovingly and beautifully reprinted by Academy Chicago in softcover, takes us through many countries and several detectives, as a posh tour gro
Lisa Kucharski
Apr 29, 2013 Lisa Kucharski rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this book Biggers brings in Insp. Duff (who Charlie Chan worked with in the previous novel to solve the case of a retired Scotland Yard Officer. In this the crime starts with Duff and he follows the group touring the world, knowing his murderer is in the group... but he lacks proof. When he tries to meet up with the group in Hawaii he is shot (not killed) and Charlie Chan takes up the mantel of solving the crime right where Duff was stopped. The interesting difference is how Chan interacts wi ...more
Trounin
Под обложкой одного детектива следствие ведут сразу четыре инспектора. Кто-то из них падёт, кто-то окажется на пороге смерти, а кому-то удастся проявить чудеса изворотливости и буквально поймать преступника на его неосторожности. Убийство глухого старика проистекало от должных к тому причин, оно было обставлено весьма сомнительными обстоятельствами, зато дальнейший ход расследования оказался наполнен драматическими событиями. Посему Биггерса осталось похвалить — за создание Чарли Чана особенно.

Joseph
Nov 27, 2013 Joseph rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was very enjoyable, though Charlie Chan does not appear until halfway through the novel. A nice little detective story with good writing and likeable characters. This novel is written twenty years after the Fu Manchu novel, and Charlie Chan is our hero and very likeable but the way he speaks is still a long way from reality. These novels created new stereotypes, obviously a step forward from the portrayals in the Fu Manchu books, but still a long way to go.
Dan Adams
Dec 11, 2015 Dan Adams rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fantastic Charlie Chan mystery! Charlie Chan Carries On was the fifth of the six original novels written by Charlie Chan creator Earl Derr Biggers, though it was the last one I read. I highly recommend any and all of the six Charlie Chan novels to anyone interested in curling up with a clever mystery.
Elizabeth
Feb 19, 2010 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I got impatient for Charlie Chan to appear the story was Interesting . I was a bit surprised to find Chan speaking more of a pidgin English that he had he previous books. I wondered if Biggers had a movie in mind when he wrote the book since it involved a dozen exotic locations, lots of characters and a Sidney Toler type Chinese detective.
Michael Adam Reale
Earl Derr Biggers, the creator of the character of Charlie Chan, is a classic mystery author. I am inspired by his work. The character of Charlie Chan has been a favorite of mine since childhood. I eagerly await reading more books by the great Earl Derr Biggers.
Suzanne
Dec 18, 2014 Suzanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Charlie Chan. It is not at all what one would expect. This book was fun b/c of all of the many suspects and the characters from across the US. The Akron character was particularly entertaining.
James
Mar 20, 2008 James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Have read several times over the years. Never tire of the oldies but goodies. Have both paperback and hardcover pub. (1930) Grosset & Dunlap.
Donna
Aug 24, 2015 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
An entertaining book written in the 1920's. Biggs loosely based Charlie on a real Honolulu police detective,Chang Apana. This book is a refreshing step back in time.
Nuranar
Charlie Chan does not really get involved until halfway through; after that the story was even more fun and more things happened.
Luigi
Aug 29, 2014 Luigi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bello e avvincente fino all'ultima pagina. Come nei romanzi di Ellery Queen viene data una traccia a chi legge per scoprire chi ha commesso tutti gli omicidi.
Ronald
Sep 26, 2016 Ronald rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
read during summer 1969
Lynda
Dec 01, 2011 Lynda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite of Bigger's Chan books.
Les Wilson
Sep 14, 2015 Les Wilson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed Charlie Chan from being a small child. Over 60 years later I'm still enjoying him.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
A good mystery, though the stereotyping of the main character might bother some people.
Vikas Datta
Mar 21, 2013 Vikas Datta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best in the series, held be spellbound. The guys that time could certainly write...
Jim
Mar 17, 2012 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's chapter 13, nearly half way through the book, before Charlie puts in an appearance, but this is one of the best of the Charlie Chan mysteries so far.
Federico Kereki
Charlie Chan only appears when less than half of the book remains, and that takes away some of the charm that the other books in the series have, but it's a good story anyway.
Amethyst
I freakin' LOVE Charlie Chan--the books, the classic movie serials from back in the day, and even the spoofs!
Read1000books
5th of the Charlie Chan mystery novels.
Joanne
Jan 18, 2015 Joanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read and nice to watch the classic charlie chan films together while reading it
Michele bookloverforever
still a Charlie Chan addict.
Gail Baugniet
Gail Baugniet rated it really liked it
Oct 13, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Dragon Murder Case (A Philo Vance Mystery #7)
  • The Egyptian Cross Mystery (Ellery Queen #5)
  • The Long Divorce (Gervase Fen, #8)
  • The House of Dr. Edwardes
  • The Thinking Machine
  • The Tragedy of Y
  • The Eight Strokes of the Clock (Arsène Lupin, #11)
  • The Blind Barber (Dr. Gideon Fell, #4)
  • Malice Aforethought
  • The Titanic Murders (Disaster Series, #1)
  • Stalking the Dragon
  • The Adventure of the Three Garridebs
  • Wings Above the Diamantina (Bony, #3)
  • Death in Ecstasy (Roderick Alleyn, #4)
Earl Derr Biggers was born in Warren, Ohio on August 24, 1884. Years later, while attending Harvard University, Biggers showed little passion for the classics, preferring instead writers such as Rudyard Kipling and Richard Harding Davis. Following his graduation from Harvard in 1907, he worked briefly for the Cleveland Plain Dealer and at Bobbs-Merrill publishers. By 1908, Biggers was hired at the ...more
More about Earl Derr Biggers...

Charlie Chan (6 books)
  • The House Without a Key (Charlie Chan, #1)
  • The Chinese Parrot (Charlie Chan, #2)
  • Behind That Curtain (Charlie Chan, #3)
  • The Black Camel (Charlie Chan, #4)
  • Keeper of the Keys (Charlie Chan, #6)