Start by marking “Dawdling by the Danube: With Journeys in Bavaria and Poland” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Dawdling by the Danube...

Edward Enfield

Dawdling by the Danube: With Journeys in Bavaria and Poland

3.1 of 5 stars 3.10  ·  rating details  ·  29 ratings  ·  8 reviews
An exceptional journey through Germany via bicycle "I had thought for some time that there must be something funny about Germany because, except for hard-drinking types at the Munich beer festival, I had never heard of anybody going there for a holiday. This was, in my view, the first of two advantages. There are travellers who, when abroad, are delighted to see a fellow c ...more
Published March 1st 2008 by Summersdale Publishers (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Dawdling by the Danube, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dawdling by the Danube

Em
I listened to this book which is read by the author and documents his travels following the Danube through Germany, Austria and Poland by bike.

It was enjoyable to listen to, Edward Enfield seems like a nice gentleman and I thought his company pleasant. It was a bit reminiscent of picking up one of my parents from the airport and listening to the story of the holiday all the way home!
Liam Proven
An absolute charm from beginning to end.

I feel I've leapt from early in Enfield's short authorial career straight to more or less the end. This is a shame and I shall rectify it, for I remain beguiled by his modest charm. This tome includes the account of several paid rides or trips he made in the course of making TV programmes - as the septuagenarian semi-celebrity (and father of famous person, as he wryly notes) clearly made enough of a splash with his earlier travelogues to be approached to d
John
Having been a fan of his other travel books, perhaps my expectations were too high, but I came away disappointed. This one features reminiscences of earlier trips, interspersed with the more recent Danube bicycle touring. Perhaps it wasn't as highlighted in print, but his tone for the audiobook made it fairly clear that he was done with traveling, and writing, upon fulfilling this contract.

Those who are new to him as an author, do not start here!
cloudyskye
I find this very enjoyable. The author is like a (much) mellower, very kindly disposed, quite English version of Bill Bryson. Edward Enfield clearly enjoys himself cycling along bike paths in Central Europe. I'm planning on "dawdling/cycling by the Danube" myself with a friend next summer, so this was a lovely introduction. My personal highlight: his thoughts on the inscription on his (future) tombstone --- a laugh-out-loud moment. Won't spoil it here. :)
Jan
Honestly the author could have provided more to the reader.

Of course British charm helps the story along and it is inspiring to read about a 77 year old undertaking a major trip on a bike, but unfortunately, this is a classic example of the saying that most of us have a book inside us... and that is where it should stay.
Emma
This is the worst drivel I have had the misfortune to read. Don't bother unless your eligible for saga holidays, insurance etc. He prattles on about a daydream he has about the Prince of Wales brewing his own real ale. This is the best it gets and I'd rather have watched paint dry.
Caren
I listened to the author read this book. He has a lovely British accent and a quiet, charming wit. I was quite impressed that much of this bicycle tour was undertaken when he was 77 years old. Nothing earth-shattering here, just a modestly entertaining little book.
Bill Lively
Interesting observations of places to visit.
Tim Wild
Tim Wild is currently reading it
Jun 06, 2015
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
Lydia
Lydia added it
Oct 05, 2014
Nick
Nick marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Sam
Sam added it
Apr 07, 2014
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Ann
Ann marked it as to-read
May 15, 2013
Greece on My Wheels Downhill All the Way: Cycling through France from La Manche to the Mediterranean Freewheeling Through Ireland Old Age and How to Survive It The World According to Enfield Senior