Start by marking “Dawdling by the Danube: With Journeys in Bavaria and Poland” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Dawdling by the Danube...
Edward Enfield

Dawdling by the Danube: With Journeys in Bavaria and Poland

An exceptional journey through Germany via bicycle "I had thought for some time that there must be something funny about Germany because, except for hard-drinking types at the Munich beer festival, I had never heard of anybody going there for a holiday. This was, in my view, the first of two advantages. There are travellers who, when abroad, are delighted to see a fellow c ...more
Published March 1st 2008 by Summersdale (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Dawdling by the Danube, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dawdling by the Danube

Sep 16, 2011 Em rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel, 2011
I listened to this book which is read by the author and documents his travels following the Danube through Germany, Austria and Poland by bike.

It was enjoyable to listen to, Edward Enfield seems like a nice gentleman and I thought his company pleasant. It was a bit reminiscent of picking up one of my parents from the airport and listening to the story of the holiday all the way home!
Liam Proven
Mar 21, 2014 Liam Proven rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An absolute charm from beginning to end.

I feel I've leapt from early in Enfield's short authorial career straight to more or less the end. This is a shame and I shall rectify it, for I remain beguiled by his modest charm. This tome includes the account of several paid rides or trips he made in the course of making TV programmes - as the septuagenarian semi-celebrity (and father of famous person, as he wryly notes) clearly made enough of a splash with his earlier travelogues to be approached to d
May 16, 2016 Ruth rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
c2008. Humour is a funny thing (excuse the pun) but sometimes if it is essentially cruel in nature it can be quite grating. This is a gentle excuse of a book with other bits of useful (-less) information thrown in. Good beach reading, I would have thought. Recommended to the inquisitive members of the crew. "Not only do they not explain them, they do not even mention them as if they had never noticed they were there."
Dec 13, 2008 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel, audiobook
Having been a fan of his other travel books, perhaps my expectations were too high, but I came away disappointed. This one features reminiscences of earlier trips, interspersed with the more recent Danube bicycle touring. Perhaps it wasn't as highlighted in print, but his tone for the audiobook made it fairly clear that he was done with traveling, and writing, upon fulfilling this contract.

Those who are new to him as an author, do not start here!
Dec 12, 2014 cloudyskye rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I find this very enjoyable. The author is like a (much) mellower, very kindly disposed, quite English version of Bill Bryson. Edward Enfield clearly enjoys himself cycling along bike paths in Central Europe. I'm planning on "dawdling/cycling by the Danube" myself with a friend next summer, so this was a lovely introduction. My personal highlight: his thoughts on the inscription on his (future) tombstone --- a laugh-out-loud moment. Won't spoil it here. :)
Oct 14, 2012 Jan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Honestly the author could have provided more to the reader.

Of course British charm helps the story along and it is inspiring to read about a 77 year old undertaking a major trip on a bike, but unfortunately, this is a classic example of the saying that most of us have a book inside us... and that is where it should stay.
This is the worst drivel I have had the misfortune to read. Don't bother unless your eligible for saga holidays, insurance etc. He prattles on about a daydream he has about the Prince of Wales brewing his own real ale. This is the best it gets and I'd rather have watched paint dry.
Mar 29, 2011 Caren rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult-nonfiction
I listened to the author read this book. He has a lovely British accent and a quiet, charming wit. I was quite impressed that much of this bicycle tour was undertaken when he was 77 years old. Nothing earth-shattering here, just a modestly entertaining little book.
Bill Lively
Mar 22, 2013 Bill Lively rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting observations of places to visit.
Stacia rated it it was ok
Oct 20, 2016
Daniel rated it it was amazing
Sep 25, 2016
S W P Sawyer
S W P Sawyer rated it it was amazing
Aug 12, 2016
Rita marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2016
Kirsten Tarrier
Kirsten Tarrier rated it liked it
Apr 23, 2016
Pat Winter
Pat Winter marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Theresa rated it it was ok
Mar 18, 2016
Joan marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2016
Stephen marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2016
Pat Egan
Pat Egan marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Travis rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2016
Phoebe rated it did not like it
Jan 09, 2016
Valerie Cox
Valerie Cox rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2016
Gail rated it liked it
Nov 09, 2015
Tracy Roberts
Tracy Roberts rated it did not like it
Nov 01, 2015
Janez Hočevar
Janez Hočevar rated it liked it
Oct 09, 2015
Graham Thompson
Graham Thompson rated it really liked it
Sep 27, 2015
Sally906 rated it it was ok
Sep 11, 2015
Dawidf marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2015