Start by marking “Final Seconds” as Want to Read:

"ONE OF THE MASTERS." –Ridley Pearson

"IN RARE FORM." –The New York Times Book Review

"AMONG THE BEST." –San Diego Union

THE HUNT BEGINS…AGAIN

Will Harper was an NYPD hero. Then fate, a fiery blast, and departmental politics burned down his career. Now Will is again in the line of fire as a disgraced FBI profiler pulls him back
Published August 7th 2012 by Pinnacle (first published March 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Final Seconds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Final Seconds

Gordon Vivace
I have to say, as popular as John Lutz is, I found this book not be full of "suspense", "twists" and "turns" like a number of professional reviews said, and it most certainly didn't make me "shiver". The plot was pretty clear early on and didn't vary much. Some of the story line was somewhat unbelievable, like a respected national media crush (the protagonist) getting thrown out FBI HQ on the day they were giving him an award for disagreeing with an agent (into the alley, no less, when he had be ...more
Susan
Final Seconds is the first book that I have read by Lutz, and I found it to be a great read. Going into the book, I wasn't sure exactly what to expect, but Lutz delivers an action packed, thrilling, suspenseful read that keeps the reader on their toes. The book begins with Harper getting injured on the job and having to retire from the bomb squad. Things change however when his former partner is the victim of bombing. Harper and an old friend from the FBI are the only two people that see a patte ...more
Marti
This was an interesting book but it seemed to lack the excitement of the content--a serial bomber with an agenda. He, of course, was a flawed personality, with a great amount of expertise in fashioning bombs. There are two men determined terformanceo find and stop him--Addleman, a former FBI employee, and Harper, a former bomb expert, retired after he lost part of his right hand in a bomb mishap. They encounter resistence to their advice and help. Can they stop him before his last spectacular pe ...more
Gerald Curtis
This was my first Lutz book and I loved it. Great detective stuff, very clever villain, great bureaucracy bumbling to get in the way of resolution.

In my opinion, Lutz is hands down the equal of baldacci and I am glad to have discovered him.
Jenn
Dec 17, 2008 Jenn rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lutz lovers, SS sistahs
This was very different than the "Night" series, but just as enjoyable. It took me longer to read as I have been working like crazy, not because I found the book hard to read. I like the blend of John Lutz and David August. I found the Bomb Squad to be really likeable, and the mix of the ex-FBI guy and the ex-Bomb Squad guy to be perfect. I heard there was a second book and if that is true I'll have to try and hunt this down.

This book was re-released and was originally written in the 80s. It has
Frank
Fast-paced thriller about a former NY bomb squad cop, Harper, and a former FBI profiler, Alderman, going after the "Celebrity Bomber" who has been killing celebrities by a series of more and more sophisticated bombs over the last several years. When Harper and Alderman approach the FBI about the bomber, they are disbelieved until the next victim is killed. Then it is Harper and Alderman working pretty much on their own to try to save the final target. I would give this one a high recommendation ...more
Eliana
Keeps you hooked til the very end every time. P.I. thriller/mystery.
Carl
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this novel. A down and out FBI agent and a maimed ex-NYPD bomb specialist team up together to unravel the mystery of what appears to be a serial bomber's plot. The book was well written, although there are numerous typographical errors in the Kindle edition during the transition from paper to electronic reader. This novel was co-authored by David August and John Lutz and is quite different from the previous Lutz novels that I'm familiar with. Recommended reading.
Nenette
It's the usual bomb scare story, but this time, the people who uncovered the terrorist/bomber are people who were both ex's - ex-FBI and ex-bomb expert. How they got through, or rather behind the authorities in solving the case takes a big part of the story. I like the factoring in of the ex-bomb expert's wife - it makes him seem more real, more human. I'll definitely check out John Lutz's other books, but just like this one, I'll read the reviews first.
Cavery22
This book is about a former NYPD hero who became disgraced after a job gone wrong. Now he’s been pulled back into the game (vomit) by a serial killer that the FBI is denying exists. dun dun duuuuunnnnn. Anyway, this book was eh. Hope that was helpful!

FINAL REVIEW

If you like long books about bombs and retired cops, then this is for you. If you dont like long books about bombs and retired cops, then it isnt. There you go!
Jane Brant
Not bad....learned some things about explosives. The rest of it is fairly typical with your aging ex-cop, wounded like so many seeking the Holy Grail of lifetime achievement and recognition and respect...yup, the best part of the story. But aren't we a little tired of aging white guys with young successful wives, beautiful and ambitious, trying to forever prove themselves over and over again?
Kristi
I liked this book alot, but I was listening to the Audio version...It was fabulous! The only thing that was bad was every now and again you would hear all sound stop and then it would start again and the vioce would change...same guy, just louder, or more garbled...that type of thing. It really took away from the experience. The book itself was awesome!
Melinda
I read this a few years back.

The book was different than some of the chick lit mysteries I was used to reading and so by comparison I think I really got into it more. The book is written by a man and from a male perspective - neither of which I typically read - so that was also a nice change of pace.
Marca
Will Harper, a member of the NYPD bomb squad who is injured when a bomb goes off, is pulled into an investigation that involves bombings targeted at celebrities. Likable, sensible characters. Good plot that keeps the reader on edge. Things go boom! What more could you want?
Ekaizar
This was a fine detective novel, but nothing spectacular. The clues were a little too obvious, and yet the final part of the mystery a little too far-fetched. The character development was OK, but a bit too stereotypical and flat.
Ginny Crippen
Great book for men and women----a page turner for sure---the paperback has small print and some typos but the educated person can figure it out---has motivated me to see the movie The Hurt Locker.....
Allen
this is second in a series featuring former NYD explosives expert. in this one, lutz shares author credit with david august. promising beginning to maybe a new series.

Kay
Another new author and of course, I see I read the second in the series. It took me a little longer than usual to 'get into' the book but once I did I didn't want to put it down!
Tali Hunt
A good listen (on CD), entertaining action story.
Kathy
Jun 28, 2010 Kathy marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-to-read, 2-85
David August- same person as John Lutz
Ken
COULD NOT PUT IT DOWN
Heather
Great read about a profiler and a bomb squad ex-cop where they search for a serial bomber.
Carol
good suspense novel
Elle
Elle is currently reading it
Aug 02, 2015
William McNelis
William McNelis marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
Tiffany Karafinski
Tiffany Karafinski is currently reading it
Jul 27, 2015
Lisa V
Lisa V marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Vicious Circle
  • Strip Search (Susan Pulaski #2)
  • The Hunted
  • The Experiment
  • Burnt Sienna
  • A Thousand Bones (Louis Kincaid, #8)
  • Maximum Security (Marty Nickerson, #3)
  • Arctic Fire (Red Cell Series, Book 1)
  • A.K.A. Jane
  • The Assassin (Casca, #13)
  • Cut to the Quick (Nan Vining Mysteries, #2)
  • Circle of Time (Starry Child, #2)
  • Swastika  (Special X, #11)
  • Champagne for Two
  • Conquering Chronic Disorganization
  • Murder Season (Lena Gamble, #3)
  • America's Dumbest Criminals: Wild and Weird Stories of Fumbling Felons, Clumsy Crooks, and Ridiculous Robbers
  • Spindoc (Venture Silk, #1)

John Lutz published his first short story in 1966 in Alfred Hitchcock's Mystery Magazine and has been publishing regularly ever since. His work includes political suspense, private eye novels, urban suspense, humor, occult, crime caper, police procedural, espionage, historical, futuristic, amateur detective--v
More about John Lutz...
In for the Kill (Frank Quinn #2) Darker Than Night (Frank Quinn, #1) Night Kills (Frank Quinn, #3) Serial (Frank Quinn, #6) Urge To Kill (Frank Quinn, #4)