Start by marking “The Olive and the Caper: Adventures in Greek Cooking” as Want to Read:
The Olive and the Caper: Adventures in Greek Cooking

The Olive and the Caper: Adventures in Greek Cooking

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  87 ratings  ·  12 reviews
This is the year "It's Greek to me" becomes the happy answer to what's for dinner. "My Big Fat Greek Wedding," the upcoming epic "Troy," the 2004 Summer Olympics returning to Athens--and now, yet another reason to embrace all things Greek: "The Olive and the Caper," Susanna Hoffman's 700-plus-page serendipity of recipes and adventure.
In Corfu, Ms. Hoffman and a taverna ow
Published August 1st 2004 by Workman Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Olive and the Caper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Olive and the Caper

Kelley
I attended a July 4th party last year where Susanne Hoffman, the author of this book brought a delicious dip. Several weeks later I went hiking with her, and she shared the recipe as follows:

Spread
8 ounces cream cheese
7 grape leaves in brine from jar, drained
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

For spread:
Blend cream cheese, grape leaves, and lemon juice in mini processor until grape leaves are minced and mixture is blended. Season spread to taste with salt and pepper. Can be made 1 day ahead. Trans
Janece
Sep 07, 2008 Janece rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: chefs, history buffs, homeschoolers
Recommended to Janece by: found it on a search
We have been reading through this jewel and I honestly may have to buy this one! Susanna Hoffman sprinkles bits of Greek history and mythos along her truly lovely black and white photographs of Greek people, food, houses and landscapes. the recipes are fairly easy to follow, even if some of the ingredients (being true to Greek traditions) are unusual for us. She liberally adds depth and spice with her personal stories from her visits to Greece creating overall a book that is nearly as much story ...more
Sugarpop
I have some hit and misses with the recipes. Tonight I made manestra and it went over very well. Some of my consistent repeats are the eggplant salad-country style, moussaka, spanakopita and the walnut cake with coffee syrup. I can honestly say that the moussaka and the walnut cake recipes alone were worth the entire book.

There are a few recipes that are on my Thou Shalt Not Ever Make Again list. That said, I have never eaten those foods before and I have no way of knowing if it is the recipe o
RH Walters
This is a terrific cookbook by a passionate Greek scholar, part time resident and enthusiastic eater. Hoffman includes Greek and personal history to talk about how the water from each town's well was known and discussed as vividly as wine, and how townswomen were convinced she wasn't going to open a brothel on their small island when they saw her impressive knitting. I can't claim to have read all the recipes but it was a revelation for me to know that you can make a phyllo dough pie with fennel ...more
Erika
Adventures in Greek cooking? Adventures indeed. This book describes the adventures Greeks from back in the day used to have and how and why they formed certain recipes and used them for certain things. A bit of history, science, and cookbook all in one. Also, I'm using this book to have 2 of the best foodstuffs at the 4th of July party so that's a nice kicker as well.
Leslie
This book is half a history of Greece, with emphasis on mythology and lives of the normal person, and half an assortment of recipes. I prepared more than 30 recies from this book. Some variable results (see reviews on cookbooker.com) but the highs were spectacular.
Sue
I adore this book. Not only is it a marvelous overview of how the Greeks eat, but it's a stunning book about Greece itself, with stunning full page color plates of Greece. The recipes? I've tried a few and liked them.
Patricia
The night I brought this book home, I sat up reading it until 1:00 a.m. The author's passionate accounts of Greek culture are colorful and interesting and all the recipes I have tried so far are excellent.
Susanne
Excellent overview of the history of Greek cuisine. Interesting pictures. Good recipes, although a special shopping trip would have to be made for a number of the ingredients.
Emily
A really wonderful introduction to Greek cooking. The chapter on meze alone is worth it! Wonderful dishes, anecdotes, and menus.
Linda
Wow! Great recipes with lots of information on Greece, food history, and ingredients.
Lynda
Just plain love this cookbook.
Salima
Salima marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Candy Wyman
Candy Wyman marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
marin
marin marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Leviatheninutero
Leviatheninutero marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Dee Cuadra
Dee Cuadra marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
Christine Claudette
Christine Claudette marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Bold: A Cookbook of Big Flavors and Hearty Portions The Well-Filled Tortilla Cookbook The Well-Filled Microwave Cookbook The Angry Earth: Disaster in Anthropological Perspective