Start by marking “Up To No Good” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Up To No Good

Carl Weber

Up To No Good (Church #4)

4.34  ·  Rating Details ·  2,091 Ratings  ·  125 Reviews

Jamie has every intention of dismantling the r
Published August 7th 2012 by Dafina (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Up To No Good, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Up To No Good

Sistar Tea
Jan 27, 2009 Sistar Tea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dysfunctional is not the word

Its been a while since I read a Carl Weber’s book the last being Baby Momma Drama I believe. Therefore, it was time for me to get familiar with him again and I am glad I picked this book to do with. In this, unconventional read work very well. By unconventional I mean the book is written in first person and each chapter is from the viewpoint of one of the three main characters. I love the way the story came together.

There is the father James Black who doesn’t believe
Sammienoel94
Apr 04, 2011 Sammienoel94 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is by far the best book I have ever read, coming from a person who isn't quite fond of reading. Carl Weber's Up To No Good can be summed up into word: Unexpected. This book keeps you from wanting to put the book down, with the different characters and problems as the plot begins to unravel into something you would never expect. I highly recommend reading this book if you are into drama, because this book takes drama to the next level. Normally when reading a drama book, you get boyfrie ...more
K.augustine
Wow this book was crazy. It is definitely a page turner from the very beginning. Up to No Good has some VERY unexpected twists and turns. . . It slightly reminds me of something the wonderful author Allison Hobbs would write. Anyway, this novel is awesome. It is a quick read (probably because the font is so big) and is packed with drama drama drama.

James Black is a 48 year old successful business owner, father to Jamie and Darnel, and honest womanizer who has never been a committed relationship
Khyrra
Mar 04, 2009 Khyrra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book and hated to see the story come to an end. This is a twisting story of love, lust, deceit, hurt, shame, growth, lessons learned....all of it. lol
Lord' Williams
Mar 29, 2009 Lord' Williams rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: carl-weber
Most of the time I would give details on physical aspects of a book, but I read this book off my ereader. Nook format, the pages flowed nicely, no weird coding or improper formatting. This book is part of the James Black series. The book starts off with drama and ends in drama, and I like drama!

I must take my hat off to Mr. Weber. He dared to take his characters in a direction which I would have bet my last dollar that he wouldn't. Damn I would have lost! -Speaking of, which, the characters dev
Regie
Oct 15, 2009 Regie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Honestly, I am not sure if I like this book, or if I think it was okay. It think there was too much going on, I could barely keep up with the story.
However, there were some aspect which I like: for example, like sacrifices made out of love and the reality behind the stories, especially Darnell's

***THE REST OF THIS REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS.... PLEASE DO NOT CONTINUE IF YOU HAVE NOT READ THE BOOK OR IF YOU MIND SPOILERS***

Oddly, while I could not stand Jamie at the beginning, I liked how her story
Damera Blincoe
I had been trying to finish this book in my car for the longest time that when it really started getting good, I had to place my name on the reserve list for the actual book. If you crave drama and really want to go out of your comfort zone, this is the book to indulge in. James Black, his daughter Jaime, and his son Darnell will have you sitting on the edge of your seat as you try to comprehend what exactly is going on in their minds. It has the "oh no she didn't" feel to it that makes it a boo ...more
Casi K.
Dec 24, 2010 Casi K. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Just an FYI... The description listed with the book does not apply to this book. Not sure what that is describing!!! Those are not the characters in Up To No Good.

Spoiler Alert:
Finally got through this story. Wasn't my favorite. I didn't find any of the characters sympathetic except for Louis and, of course, James at the end. I actually didn't even start enjoying the story until Darnell started going crazy. He was pretty funny. I loved the way he slowly unraveled.

I cringed every time a chapter
Pearl
Apr 16, 2010 Pearl rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Yes is you Love drama!
This was my first read of Carl Weber, so I didn't know what to expect. However, I can say if you want to read some drama, please read this book. Darnel was truly in love with Keisha more obsessed I believe. I didn't really care for Jamie she was in her father's business a little to much for me, but when you are a spoiled brat (Daddy's Girl) I guess that is what you get. I couldn't believe how bad Keisha deceived Darnel for so many years poor thang he was really a fool.
Purple
Aug 06, 2009 Purple rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was somewhat disappointed with the way this one ended, but I still liked the book overall. There were plenty of plot twists that helped keep my interest. Some of the story was quite predictable, which I didn't like, while some of it was a total shock. While I enjoyed it, it's not one that I would put on my list of books to read again.
Sheda
May 05, 2015 Sheda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an ok read for me. I felt the end was very rushed and it didn't even get Jamie's POV in the end. So much happened in the end that were just totally unrealistic. I give 3 stars because of the build up throughout the book and the abrupt and rushed ending.
Carl Weber
Apr 25, 2011 Carl Weber rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Follow me on Twitter. http://twitter.com/CarlWeber_UB

Connect with me on Facebook. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Carl-We...

Check out all my interviews and trailers on. http://www.youtube.com/UrbanBooks
Shone
Sep 20, 2009 Shone rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: yes
Carl out did himself with this one, the drama , twist lies, heros, and the ending was a shocker. One of Carl's best novels drama and all.
Jessica
Feb 18, 2009 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was my favorite one out of all the Carl Weber books!
Amy Collins
Carl Weber books are my guilty pleasure. This one has characters acting out of issues related to abandonment, challenges around intimacy, trust and secrets. Jealousy becomes an obsessive motivation leading to tragic consequences, and it seems people are not always who they appear to be! I didn't love this book as much as some of his others, but it was entertaining.
Arlena

Title: Up to No Good
Author: Carl Weber
Publisher: Kensington
Series: Church
Reviewed By: Arlena Dean
Rating: 4
Review:

"Up to No Good" by Carl Weber...

"There is always a man around the corner. Church trustee James Black should know--he's usually that man, carrying on adulterous affairs and sleeping with one conquest after another. But when he suddenly finds himself truly in love, the other women in his church have a thing or two to say about it--including his daughter, Jamie.
Jamie has every intention
Beverly
Aug 28, 2015 Beverly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a 3.5 read for me.

Once again Carl Weber gives readers an entertaining tale in Up to No Good, which is about a family that is not quite what they appear to be. This story unfolds from the three main characters point-of-view, James, Darnell, and Jamie. James Black is a successful man who gives his children, Darnell and Jamie, unconditional love, however, he is unable to commit to one woman, but he understands this about himself. Darnell, who wanted more than anything for his father to mar
Trinika Abraham
Mar 26, 2014 Trinika Abraham rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reading Up To No Good by Carl Weber was a dramatic thrill ride.
Middle age playboy James Black doesn’t necessarily set the best examples for his adult children, Darnel (son) and Jamie (daughter). In fact, one might describe their relationship as dysfunctional at best. Despite this, James’ love for his children is unconditional.

Darnel, unlike his father, is a one woman type of man and engaged to be married to his lifelong sweetheart, Keisha. However, his world is shattered when he discovers the tr
Mz. Jetson
Jun 19, 2012 Mz. Jetson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I first started reading this novel, it was a little slow for me (although I read it in two days), but it surely picked up to where I couldn't put it down. My favorite character (save for the end) was Darnel. If you've been cheated on by someone you loved and wanted to spend the rest of your life with, you could surely relate to his character. His sarcastic sense of humor had me laughing a lot, but you still felt sorry for him majority of the time.

The daughter Jamie, was my least favorite c
Belinda
Jul 22, 2012 Belinda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed the family loyalty in this book. Jamie was a spoiled brat who had a problem with all the women in her dad's life. She eventually found happiness with Louis although they ended up in The Witness Protection Program. Darnell allowed love to push him to murder. He ended up killing Keisha & Omar. He found Keisha & Omar having sex the night before his wedding. James was a womanizer and fell in love with Sandra ( a gold digger) who was his daughter's close friend. After he was ...more
Nicole Davis
I liked this book a lot. However, as much action that was going on..it still seemed as though it was missing something. I don't know what.

Maybe the forum, the back and forth between characters (which I normally don't mind) was not working for me. I'm not sure what it was...but something was missing (or perhaps it was too MUCH going on lol) I wan't a fan of the ending either. It was all too predictable how it ended.

It was an easy read. And The author did portray the characters in a way you felt y
Norman LaVelle
Jan 03, 2014 Norman LaVelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you follow any of Carl Weber’s church series you have heard of Deacon James Black, and you would know he is a mess and a half. He is just the same in this book, but it goes deeper into his personal life. He has two children and they too are going through their individual problem. However just like their father they have some deep rooted issues of their own. The book was a page turner and I didn’t stop until I was finished. I had to know what was going to happen. I will not spoil it for those ...more
Teaguem2005
Sep 09, 2013 Teaguem2005 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Don't know how I skipped this one in the "Church" series! It is a reallllllly good one. James made the ultimate sacrifice for his son when it really counted. I'm not saying what Darnel did was right or even rational but I understand. Even though Jamie was a spoiled brat she was fiercely loyal to her family. How her dad didn't trust her judgement when it came to Sandra is understandable to a point (since she hated anyone he dated). But the fact that they were friends should have given her a tad o ...more
Sharon
Feb 12, 2011 Sharon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
James was a trustee at chruch and was a very good one, but the only thing he was going to be with the sister's of the chruch some was maaied and some not he had anyone he want. Jamie and darnel was james children and they know how there father was until the day sandra came into his life and everything change will james stop laying with all kind of women?James kids see this and now they are seen all kind of thing's happening in there life's, and in one night james life with change and he will giv ...more
SondraSoSmooth85
Great book, When I first started reading these types of books Carl Weber was the first author I read with Baby Momma Drama...I love his style of writing there is never a dull moment, Up To No Good was great, I finished this book in 3 days and I was in tears by the end. James indeed was good man that would do anything for his children and he knows how to get it cracking with all his jump-offs he had with his old butt..lol. I would tell anyone to read this book, u will not be let down.
Tashira Green
Aug 04, 2013 Tashira Green rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book pretty much did me in, but taught me some things as well. It taught me how far a person would go for love, how deep the pain really goes, how low down and dirty some people can honestly be, how snooping around is never really acceptable, and how far a parent would really go to protect their child. It's not exactly five star material to me, but I can say that I really did enjoy this book and would read it again.
Holly
Nov 02, 2009 Holly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: YES!!
Recommended to Holly by: Nobody just saw it on the shelf and I had already read something
Just got done with this book it was so good I couldn't put it down. I have now ready two of Carl Weber's books and both of them are equally good. I would recomend his books to anyone who likes a whole lotta drama! I cannot wait until his new book comes out in Feb. The nice thing about his books is they are easy readers. You don't have to be a rocket scientest to follow along. And I can guarntee once you start reading you won't stop until it's finished.
Beth Miller
Jan 10, 2013 Beth Miller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: carl-weber
I had to stopped reading for a while...but when I picked it back up it was hard to put down. Ok...I got a little bored in the middle...just a bit. But there were a couple of twists in there that surprised me...which really threw me for a loop because, I am rarely surprised by what I read...and the ending? Well, let's just say that I had my mouth open for a minute...or two. LOL Good book, good read!
Chandra
Apr 25, 2011 Chandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book. The ending was not what I expected. I have to say during all the books I respected James Black, but I did not like him. At least not until the very end. He did something that most parents probably would not do. That to me erased all bad feelings that I have had towards him in all these books.

I will say this, you just never know when someone reaches their boiling point!
Sherita Bell
Jun 20, 2011 Sherita Bell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What i can tell you about this book people will lie, steal, cheat to get whatever they want.The pleading doesn't make it better matters go worse admitting that you were wrong, and finding out about lung cancer ohh my god.. The way he took up for his sons insuficien actions, was mainly.Lives will be lived others will end up in termoil.

CARL.............WEBER!
  • Who's Loving You (Honey Diaries, #2)
  • Too Little, Too Late
  • The Best of Everything (Reverend Curtis Black, #6)
  • The Stalker Chronicles
  • The Million Dollar Deception
  • Basketball Jones
  • Single Husbands
  • No More Drama
Carl Weber is a New York Times and #1 Essence® bestselling novelist.

In addition to his writing, Weber is the founder and publisher of Urban Books and in 2005, he was named Blackboard's Publisher of the Year. He is the owner of the Urban Knowledge chain of book stores and a past recipient of Blackboard's Bookseller of the Year award.

Weber graduated from Virginia State University and holds an MBA in
More about Carl Weber...

Church (5 books)
  • The Preacher's Son
  • So You Call Yourself A Man
  • The First Lady
  • Torn Between Two Lovers (Big Girls Book Club)