Start by marking “Fraction Fun” as Want to Read:
Fraction Fun

Fraction Fun

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  76 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
This takes the fear out of math and puts the fun back in.
Published January 1st 1996 by Holiday House

To ask other readers questions about Fraction Fun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fraction Fun

Julie
May 07, 2015 Julie rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
2nd-4th grade

Math

I liked that this book included hands-on activities, but I wish there had been more "book" to it before they got to the activities. I think that it would have benefited from including more about where we see fractions in every day life. But I really liked the paper plate activity to show fractions and I would definitely use that in a class to show fractions. I liked that they showed fractions in other ways than pizza and round shapes, as well.

I would use this in a classroom, pr
Rita
Aug 30, 2011 Rita rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: math
This is a great book to introduce fractions. This book also has hands on activities for the students. Also this books makes fractions look fun. There are a lot of examples that use pizza and other items the students will be excited to see.
Olivia Bailey
Nov 25, 2011 Olivia Bailey rated it liked it
Shelves: math
This book is a great re-freshener to learning fractions. It teaches about fractions, adding fractions, money, and weight.
The pizza math of fractions is a perfect illustrations to how to take fractions of a whole.
Annette Ruane
Nov 29, 2013 Annette Ruane rated it it was amazing
Shelves: math-books
This is a hands on math concept book that helps kids understand fractions while relating them to real life situations. This book also gives kids activities to do at home while they read along! Giving the readers actual activities is awesome way to have the reader engaged and learning and having fun! I like this book because the pictures were colorful and it does an awesome way of explain the concept of fractions. Another reason to why I chose this text was because it was a book that the kids cou ...more
Abby
Fraction Fun is all about (you guessed it) fractions. It explains what fractions are, the parts of a fraction (numerator and denominator), and it give lots of examples of fractions in everyday life, like slices of pizza being a fraction of a whole. The book gives a lot of activities for kids to do to explore fractions, like dividing a paper plate into fractions, weighing different items to find out what fraction of an once they weigh, and it also teaches about money fractions (a quarter is one f ...more
May 20, 2016 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
This would be a great addition for anyone home schooling their children. In addition, many of their examples could be used in the classroom (public or home) as either individual or group work.
Chelsea Smith
Feb 25, 2016 Chelsea Smith rated it really liked it
This is a great book to use if you are teaching a lesson on fractions. There are step by step instructions and example fraction problems involving pizzas, coins and scales, graphing paper and more.
Janice Redding
Apr 22, 2012 Janice Redding rated it it was amazing
Shelves: math, ece-3601
This is an awesome third grade book on fractions. It explains that a fraction is a part of something. This book elaborates on things that can be cut into different parts such a pizza, granola bars, etc. Then, it talks about the difference between numerator and denominator. I like how this book uses that we can use fraction bars. In the classroom, I can use this book to conduct an activity like using a paper plate and see how many equal pieces can be cut out of it in small groups. For example, on ...more
Jason Stalides
I was impressed/glad my boys were interested in this.
Laura Carby
Apr 18, 2012 Laura Carby rated it really liked it
This simple, hands-on concept book is clear and concise. The simple definition of a fraction, that it is a part of something, introduces a pizza pie that is divided, studied, compared, and, of course, eaten. Weighing coins determines how many make one ounce, and what the fractional value of each coin is. The cartoon like illustrations are colorful, whimsical, and humorous; they also make the concepts clear. Without a fraction of a doubt, parents and teachers will find limitless possibilities in ...more
Jenny
May 23, 2016 Jenny rated it it was amazing
Cool
Dolly
Dec 15, 2011 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a fun book about fractions. Whether you do the exercises or not (we didn't), the concepts are made very clear and kids can learn to understand how fractions work. It's a good introduction, but I think if children have been exposed to the concepts before reading this book, it serves just as well as a reinforcement of the principles they've already learned. It has colorful illustrations that really help to explain the theories. We enjoyed reading this book together.
Brittany Balunas
Jul 20, 2012 Brittany Balunas rated it it was amazing
This is a great book to talk about fractions with students. I love that it introduces vocabulary such as numerator and denominator, so I would use this as an introduction to fractions. After reading the book I would have students divide themselves into equal groups and then find other objects either in the classroom or items that they can think of that can be divided among members of their family, number of kids on their sports team, or even number of friends.
Vanessa Grubbs
Jul 16, 2012 Vanessa Grubbs rated it it was amazing
Jun 12, 2013 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mathematics
Great book to show parts of fractions, illustrate fractions, and equivalent fractions. Activities are interactive with the book. Combines fractions and weight/mass. Definitely want to use this book and activities with my students.

6th Grade Common Core Standards:
Ratios and Proportions
6.RP.2
6.RP.3.a

*Available at Albuquerque/Bernalillo County Libraries*
Kasmarine
This is a easy, simple, and hands-on math concept book. It introduces fraction and its proper names. It helps children to look, compare, and recognize different factions. It incorporates currency and coins to teach about fraction. I read it as a way to introduce faction to my children and we used the examples in the text as our activities ...fun!!!
Nicole Holden
Apr 06, 2012 Nicole Holden rated it liked it
Shelves: math
This is a great book for introducing fractions to students. I like that this book has hands on activities for the student so they can have a better understanding of fractions. Using a pizza is the best example for explaing fractions and the student can definitely relate to pizza since this is most students favorite food.

Victoria Clay
Apr 15, 2012 Victoria Clay rated it really liked it
Shelves: math
I thought this was a great book on fractions. It broke fractions down part by part so that it was easy to understand. This would be a great book to read aloud as class because it includes great hands on activities that everyone could do together. I also thought it was clever that it used fractions to explain money as well.
Tiffany
Dec 02, 2012 Tiffany rated it really liked it
Shelves: math-books
Simple book about math. Explaining just what a fraction is, part of something. This book could make for a good lesson, even more for an extended lesson like; exploring how you can divide something up if the number of people you're sharing with increases. Ex; 12 cookies and 12 friends, now 12 cookies and 14 friends, and so on.
Lauren Owens
Apr 19, 2012 Lauren Owens rated it liked it
Fraction Fun is a crazy looking book about fractions being used in a variety of ways. The first part of the book is just an intro about fractions, but the rest are filled with lessons that can be done in the class to help students understand fractions in more settings than just a pizza.
Recommended grade level: 1-5
Bethe
May 14, 2013 Bethe rated it really liked it
Great introduction to fractions for elementary students. Examples from real life and hands on activities help reinforce a sometimes tricky and abstract concept. Weighing the coins and then using coins as a fraction of a dollar might confuse some, maybe should have weighed something else...
Trang
Apr 19, 2012 Trang rated it liked it
This fun book shows fractions in a variety of different ways and also provides ideas for lesson plans. It is a great book for both teachers and students. I would use this book to build a positive attitude about fractions and to allow students to see fractions in multiple ways.
Alesha Harris
Nov 05, 2012 Alesha Harris rated it really liked it
Shelves: math-books
This is a great book to use for fractions. This book shows how to divide foods to have equal parts. This is a great book to use in the classsroom when teaching fractions. Also, I love that this book had illustrations and explains the denominator and numerator.
Luana
Jan 11, 2012 Luana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: math, fractions
This book is great for teaching children fractions because it stresses that a fraction is part of a whole. It uses relatable examples to explain the concept of fractions and makes the use of fractions clear.
Amie
Jul 19, 2015 Amie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: math
A great way to teach kids fractions!
Cindy
Mar 28, 2013 Cindy added it
Shelves: ece-3601, math
Great book to use to help students understand more about fractions. This book has realistic examples to our Dailey lives. Also teaches how to use fractions.
Rocheal Hoffman
Apr 11, 2013 Rocheal Hoffman rated it really liked it
Shelves: ece-3601, math
Functional and fun, this book shows students the importance of fractions in real-world situations. Good for introducing or reinforcing fractions.
Sharonta Johnson
Apr 03, 2012 Sharonta Johnson added it
Shelves: math
This creative book is a great way to introduce fractions in read aloud because of their everyday life examples of fractions.
Sarah Ziskend
Fractions
Real life examples of when to use fractions
Instructions for how to use fractions

Lots of activities to do
Lisa
Sep 30, 2008 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Makes learning fractions fun with several hands-on activities. Target 2nd on up
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Adler was born in New York City, New York. He graduated from Queens College in 1968 with a bachelor's degree in economics and education. For the next nine years, he worked as a mathematics teacher for the New York City Board of Education, while taking classes towards a master's degree in marketing, a degree he was awarded by New York University in 1971. In that same year, a question from his then- ...more
More about David A. Adler...