Start by marking “The Chair: Rethinking Culture, Body, and Design” as Want to Read:
The Chair: Rethinking Culture, Body, and Design

The Chair: Rethinking Culture, Body, and Design

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  70 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Perhaps no other object of our daily environment has had the enduring cultural significance of the ever-present chair, unconsciously yet forcefully shaping the physical and social dimensions of our lives. With over ninety illustrations, this book traces the history of the chair as we know it from its crudest beginnings up through the modern office variety. Drawing on anecd ...more
Published January 17th 2000 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published August 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Chair, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Chair

More classroom-oriented reading, to be used to get students to pay attention to what their bodies are actually doing, and to reflect critically on the relationship between embodiment, bodily practice, and the built environment. Long on description and lots of pictures make this not too heavy, fun while while still substantive; looks at mind-body interaction, ergonomics, social history.
Sep 01, 2014 Holly added it
Shelves: 2014-reads
Mm, okay. Sounds odd to claim it with regard to a book about chairs, but I thought this book - originally published in 2000 - was dated. E.g., Cranz devotes whole chapters to ergonomics and why sitting is bad for one's health, but she's hesitant to make the outright suggestion of using a stand-up desk. It's also kind of crackpot academics: not necessarily the study of ergonomics and interior design, but some of her conclusions and dubious "theories" made me pause. Something or someone led me to ...more
Parts of this book were more interesting than others. It explains why there doesn't seem to be such a thing as a comfortable chair. Confirmed my prejudices; against soft squishy chairs, and for sitting the wrong way on everything. Leaves much to consider in reworking my home office over the next few years.

One gripe; I wish people would stop using the fit and healthy young adults of another culture to "prove" that said culture's habits are healthier than those of the West. Okay, in cultures that
Niloy Mitra
The book starts really strong with many interesting comments, observations, and suggestions. The last 1/3rd gets a bit boring with quite some repetitions. Overall I learned quite some useful information from the book.
Can't say enough about this book, other than we sit in chairs most of our lives and it is because of this fact, we never question it's significance. She briefly covers the history (thank god this part is short), then she goes into our anatomy and kinematics. I highly recommend this book to anyone who spends a lot of time on their ass...

... that means you. You'll never think of chairs in the same way, and hopefully it'll make you rethink the way you use chairs in your daily life.
It becomes very difficult not to see chairs as extremely problematic after reading this book. I know that probably doesn't make sense, but one must read the book to really understand how the technology and ubiquitousness of the chair have profoundly--and negatively--affected our bodies. It's a fascinating read, but one that leaves me frustrated, since it's not like I can easily go and remove chairs from my life...
Simply amazing work. I wanted to go home and immediately throw away all the chairs in my apartment. Cranz not only discusses the history of sitting and the chair and its relation to culture but is clearly a strong advocate for contemporary body conscious design. And as you'll find out, that's much more than ergonomics.
Hans Guttmann
I'm often quoting from this book. Everyone has back pain. Everyone in IT or addicted to Facebook has eye-strain. Chair's are un-natural and usually bad for the back. This book changed my habits for the better. Aside from this practicality, it's an interesting story.
Jun 06, 2010 Susan rated it 2 of 5 stars
This is an interesting book. I'm only partly into it, but I'd borrow it, not buy it.

A little too much of the author's opinion in it.
Wei Cho
Interesting theory. I've actually applied some of her recommendations in real life.
Virginia Russell
an interesting history of the chair, how and why we use it and how it affects our bodies.
Yay! I finally have a copy.
Janavi Vengatesh
Janavi Vengatesh marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2015
Korab marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2015
Aduvivier marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2015
Takwamostafa marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2015
Mohammed Tarek
Mohammed Tarek marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2015
Hannah Bowie
Hannah Bowie marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2015
Emily Smith
Emily Smith marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2015
Janerry Corpuz
Janerry Corpuz marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2015
Skip marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
Marla Sarris
Marla Sarris marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2015
Rajkumar Nepal
Rajkumar Nepal marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2015
Kristen marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Umesh marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2015
  • Design Research: Methods and Perspectives
  • 1000 Chairs
  • How Cities Work: Suburbs, Sprawl, and the Roads Not Taken
  • The Master Builders: Le Corbusier, Mies Van Der Rohe, Frank Lloyd Wright
  • Unfurling, A Mixed-Media Workshop with Misty Mawn: Inspiration and Techniques for Self-Expression through Art
  • Remote Research: Real Users, Real Time, Real Research
  • Alfred C. Kinsey: A Life
  • Type: The Secret History of Letters
  • Type: A Visual History of Typefaces and Graphic Styles (Volume 2, 1901-1938)
  • Color Drawing: Design Drawing Skills and Techniques for Architects, Landscape Architects, and Interior Designers
  • Ecological Design
  • Factory Records: The Complete Graphic Album
  • Paul Rand: Conversations with Students
  • Thoughts on Interaction Design
  • Visual Aid: Stuff You've Forgotten, Things You Never Thought You Knew, and Lessons You Didn't Quite Get Around to Learning