The Chair: Rethinking Culture, Body, and Design

The Chair: Rethinking Culture, Body, and Design

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  52 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Perhaps no other object of our daily environment has had the enduring cultural significance of the ever-present chair, unconsciously yet forcefully shaping the physical and social dimensions of our lives. With over ninety illustrations, this book traces the history of the chair as we know it from its crudest beginnings up through the modern office variety. Drawing on anecd...more
Published January 17th 2000 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published August 1998)

Susan
More classroom-oriented reading, to be used to get students to pay attention to what their bodies are actually doing, and to reflect critically on the relationship between embodiment, bodily practice, and the built environment. Long on description and lots of pictures make this not too heavy, fun while while still substantive; looks at mind-body interaction, ergonomics, social history.
Becky Weaver
Parts of this book were more interesting than others. It explains why there doesn't seem to be such a thing as a comfortable chair. Confirmed my prejudices; against soft squishy chairs, and for sitting the wrong way on everything. Leaves much to consider in reworking my home office over the next few years.

One gripe; I wish people would stop using the fit and healthy young adults of another culture to "prove" that said culture's habits are healthier than those of the West. Okay, in cultures that...more
Niloy Mitra
The book starts really strong with many interesting comments, observations, and suggestions. The last 1/3rd gets a bit boring with quite some repetitions. Overall I learned quite some useful information from the book.
Jeremy
Can't say enough about this book, other than we sit in chairs most of our lives and it is because of this fact, we never question it's significance. She briefly covers the history (thank god this part is short), then she goes into our anatomy and kinematics. I highly recommend this book to anyone who spends a lot of time on their ass...

... that means you. You'll never think of chairs in the same way, and hopefully it'll make you rethink the way you use chairs in your daily life.
Kim
It becomes very difficult not to see chairs as extremely problematic after reading this book. I know that probably doesn't make sense, but one must read the book to really understand how the technology and ubiquitousness of the chair have profoundly--and negatively--affected our bodies. It's a fascinating read, but one that leaves me frustrated, since it's not like I can easily go and remove chairs from my life...
Ian
Simply amazing work. I wanted to go home and immediately throw away all the chairs in my apartment. Cranz not only discusses the history of sitting and the chair and its relation to culture but is clearly a strong advocate for contemporary body conscious design. And as you'll find out, that's much more than ergonomics.
Hans Guttmann
I'm often quoting from this book. Everyone has back pain. Everyone in IT or addicted to Facebook has eye-strain. Chair's are un-natural and usually bad for the back. This book changed my habits for the better. Aside from this practicality, it's an interesting story.
Susan
This is an interesting book. I'm only partly into it, but I'd borrow it, not buy it.

A little too much of the author's opinion in it.
Wei Cho
Interesting theory. I've actually applied some of her recommendations in real life.
Virginia Russell
an interesting history of the chair, how and why we use it and how it affects our bodies.
Daniela
Yay! I finally have a copy.
Lindsay
Lindsay marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Shierra Paraiso
Shierra Paraiso marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
Madelaine
Madelaine marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
Waqar Saleem
Waqar Saleem marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
Thomas
Thomas marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
Emile
Emile marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
Hail Satan
Hail Satan marked it as to-read
May 04, 2014
Cherise Daniels
Cherise Daniels is currently reading it
Mar 30, 2014
Luis
Luis marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2014
Surajitsau
Surajitsau marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2014
Sabrina Anuar
Sabrina Anuar marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2014
Ryan Bonfanti
Ryan Bonfanti marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2013
Christopher Prosser
Christopher Prosser marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2013
Kate
Kate added it
Dec 07, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The Politics of Park Design: A History of Urban Parks in America Politics of Park Design Environmental Design Research: The Body, the City, and the Buildings in Between Denatured Visions