Nocover-blank-133x176
The Generation Game

David McWilliams

The Generation Game

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  36 ratings  ·  5 reviews
As the BOTOX ECONOMY was laid bare and the financial filler of other people's money became evident, the JAGGERS, JUGGLERS and BONO BOOMERS struggled to maintain their slice of a diminished pie.

However the author saw a possible solution to Ireland's quandaries. Taking a trip around the globe from Shanghai to New York, from Latin America to Central Europe, he says we can lea...more
Published May 29th 2012 by Gill & MacMillan (first published January 1st 2007)

Frank Peters
The book is really very outstanding. It was eerie reading it in 2009, since we are now seeking much of what the author predicted in 2007. He is very astute yet blunt, sometimes ride and often very funny. I had planned to rate the book much more highly, however the author completely ran out of steam in the last few chapters. He started to pontificate and be much, much, much too repetitive. For the fist 80%, I didn’t want to put the book down, yet the last 20% was boring and dreary.
Alan
The man who insulted both Brian Lenihan and Miriam O' Callaghan in his latest book, makes up fancy names for groups of people in this "social commentary of Ireland" circa 2006/2007.

A waste of money, in my opinion, reading this guy as he tells us what we already know.
Jim
Considering when this was published (the inside of my edition says 2007 rather than 2008 on the page here), this bopk is not as bad as he rating suggests. I think this has the potential to be an important book for either economics or history sudents in a few years.
Johanna
More of a social commentary than an economics book - but for us ex-pats in Ireland it gives a good compare/contrast with the present day Ireland (if a very jaded view) to what things were like in the 80's and 90's.
Bengü
It's so scary to realize the game is applicable to any nation, what's even worse, the game is already on. Fantastic piece of study with an in-your-face attitude of the author. It's a keeper.
Merete Aasen
Merete Aasen marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2014
El Dan
El Dan marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2014
Bren
Bren is currently reading it
Feb 02, 2014
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2013
Norah
Norah marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2013
Vincent
Vincent marked it as to-read
May 19, 2013
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2013
Elizabeth Barrow
Elizabeth Barrow marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2012
Rosie
Rosie marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2012
The Pope's Children: Ireland's New Elite The Good Room Follow The Money The Pope's Children Galatians: A Mentor Commentary