Start by marking “Inside Toyland: Working, Shopping, and Social Inequality” as Want to Read:
Inside Toyland: Working, Shopping, and Social Inequality

Inside Toyland: Working, Shopping, and Social Inequality

"I got my first job working in a toy store when I was 41 years old." So begins sociologist Christine Williams's description of her stint as a low-wage worker at two national toy store chains: one upscale shop and one big box outlet. In this provocative, perceptive, and lively book, studded with rich observations from the shop floor, Williams chronicles her experiences as a ...more
Published January 9th 2006 by University of California Press (first published December 10th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Inside Toyland, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Inside Toyland

Tiny Pants
CLW hits it out of the park with this one -- this book was fantastic. I would particularly recommend it instead of the Juliet Schor books I recently reviewed. CLW takes a much more nuanced approach, looking not at whether consumption is good or evil, but instead examining how relationships of race, class, and gender are played out in the employment practices, store policies, and customer interactions via ethnographic work in two different toy store chains. Her detailed observation as well as her ...more
Holly Donnelly
Interesting, but kind of depressing. It's tough to aviod shopping in these big box stores where employees are miserably treated, low paid and tracked by gender and race into separate streams of work. I was disappointed that the unionized store the author described had many of the same problems (and closed due to bankruptcy anyway.)Maybe online shopping is the answer. . . Wonder how employees at Amazon.com are faring?
Izzy
Nov 22, 2016 Izzy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
This was an incredibly boring book. I've never worked in a toy store but from working in a grocery store, I can tell you that I have experienced all of this first hand and having to read about it was a waste of my time. I don't understand why any of this was worth writing down. Anyone could tell you these things.
Robin
Jul 22, 2007 Robin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The section on teaching kids how to shop was especially interesting. There are a lot of ideas brought up here. In spite of its academic style, it sustains interest.
Courtney
It was an interesting read, although I'd hoped for more "horror stories" about working at toy stores. Definitely a lot of social context and studies/research cited.
Allison
I liked the chapter on the history of retailer and manufacturer relationships.
Elise
Aug 16, 2007 Elise rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eh.
Kelly
Kelly rated it it was ok
Mar 18, 2012
Bethy
Bethy rated it liked it
Jul 15, 2012
Amanda Richio
Amanda Richio rated it liked it
Jul 10, 2016
Vanessa
Vanessa rated it it was ok
Apr 22, 2011
Lia Garcia
Lia Garcia rated it liked it
Feb 22, 2017
corinne
corinne rated it it was amazing
Mar 12, 2007
OMGpistachio
OMGpistachio rated it did not like it
Nov 23, 2012
Rachel Nickens
Rachel Nickens rated it it was amazing
Oct 19, 2015
Jacob
Jacob rated it really liked it
Nov 01, 2014
Kate
Kate rated it it was amazing
Aug 15, 2007
Morgan
Morgan rated it liked it
Apr 08, 2012
Caitlin
Caitlin rated it it was ok
Nov 16, 2011
Jery
Jery rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2016
Will
Will rated it liked it
Nov 28, 2010
Fabiola
Fabiola rated it it was amazing
Apr 28, 2013
R.
R. rated it liked it
Oct 13, 2010
Zoe
Zoe rated it it was ok
Aug 13, 2010
Tristan Bridges
Tristan Bridges rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2012
Stephanie L. Moore
Stephanie L. Moore rated it liked it
Dec 22, 2014
Amy Herren
Amy Herren rated it really liked it
Dec 01, 2011
Michelle  Hogmire
Michelle Hogmire rated it liked it
Aug 23, 2012
Sarah Patterson
Sarah Patterson rated it it was amazing
Jul 18, 2015
Breanna
Breanna rated it it was ok
Jul 18, 2011