Start by marking “Christmas: A Candid History” as Want to Read:
Christmas: A Candid History

Christmas: A Candid History

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  117 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Written for everyone who loves and is simultaneously driven crazy by the holiday season, "Christmas: A Candid History "provides an enlightening, entertaining perspective on how the annual Yuletide celebration got to be what it is today. In a fascinating, concise tour through history, the book tells the story of Christmas-from its pre-Christian roots, through the birth of J ...more
Published October 10th 2007 by University of California Press (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Christmas

Deborah Markus
This is a wonderfully readable and succinct history of a most misunderstood holiday. The author is a Christian who understands that people have been throwing late-December parties for much more than two thousand years. As he puts it, "A midwinter carnival is a very understandable way for human beings to cope with winter, and yes, the widespread human impulse to party in the face of winter has influenced the development of Christmas." Early Christians, however, did *not* celebrate Christmas; and ...more
Diana
Great history and insights in this book. It can definitely help calm your personal Christmas anxiety to know that it started back in Roman times and therefore predates its ties to the nativity story by 200 years.

Starting in late December, the Romans held the party of the year, called Saturnalia, to celebrate the harvest. It was a week-long time of merriment with no work but much drinking, feasting, decorating with greens and gifting of candles and wax fruit. Sound familiar?

The book further reco
Cormacjosh
I read this book for work so that it can be aired during the Christmas season. It didn’t tell me anything I didn’t already know personally, but it is an excellent concise and readable history of Christmas’ progress from pagan times to our modern day. I added a few well known carols and other pop songs as interludes in my recording and I’m rather proud of the outcome. It will always be a great amusement to me that I read this holiday book during a heatwave where each day was above 90 F, and I dra ...more
Emily
It was fascinating to learn that the early Christian church did not celebrate Jesus' birth. Early Christianity was, according to Mr. Forbes, “an Easter-centered religion” which focused on the death and resurrection of Christ. In fact, Origen, an influential early Christian writer, roundly condemned the recognition of birthdays. After all, the Bible records that both Pharaoh and Herod, hardly paragons of virtue, celebrated their birthdays in nefarious ways – the Pharaoh killed his chief baker whi ...more
Erika RS
This short book gives a fairly thorough overview of the history of Christmas. If you have read any of the annual articles about Christmas and its history, you'll likely have heard some (but not all!) of what Forbes mentions. Forbes does a good job of showing how Christmas, even though a Christian holiday, has always co-existed, often uneasily, with non-religious celebrations.

Perhaps the most surprising thing I learned was that Christmas as we know it is just as manufactured a holiday as modern
Rachel
Kerith
I really enjoyed this book. This is a quick overview to a social history of Christmas celebrations, mostly in America but not limited to that. The author's attitude is lighthearted yet fascinated, and his Christian outlook does not negate the fact that other faiths can read this and find it helpful and interesting.
He has a great bibliography for anyone wanting to go further. He recommends, as I do, Nissenbaum's BATTLE FOR CHRISTMAS, among others.
I really appreciated his chapter on "Wrestling Wit
Brian
I saw this book at the bookstore and thought it looked interesting. Forbes is a theology professor. This is not an in-depth history of Christmas, but rather a general taste of how our Christmas customs and traditions came to be--especially in England and the United States.

This was a fascinating read. I knew that many of our traditions stemmed from pagan rituals, however I didn't realize how recent the enormous popularity of Christmas came to be. It really did not become an important religious or
Amanda
Jan 22, 2015 Amanda rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
I am now fascinated with the roots of all that we celebrate as Christmas. Great book, and easy to read.
Victoria
This is truly more of a 3.5 star rating. I loved it. The book told a grand history about origins of so many Christmas traditions both Christian and pagan. The author is a Christian, but you really can't tell until the last chapter of the book. It was a pretty unbiased and excellent documentation of things such as Saturnalia, St. Nicholas, and the birth of Christ. It was something I wanted everyone to know about. If only they knew about Christmas trees and the commercialization of the holiday. It ...more
Aaron Calvert
A good starting point for Christmas research. Brief, accessible, and includes an annotated bibliography.
Susan
Fascinating, fun read about the history and evolution of Christmas. Filled with interesting trivia about Christmas trees, Santa Claus, gift giving, and much more. Well researched and written. The author is Christian, but he gives a very unbiased history, and through his research comes to the conclusion (as many others have) that Christmas is and always has been more of a secular holiday. Christians have a hard time keeping Christ in Christmas because he wasn't really in it to begin with. Great i ...more
Sally
An engagingly written history of how Christmas became the holiday it is, from its pagan roots in the Roman empire and northern Europe, through its transformations in the 19th and 20th centuries. Thesis: Christmas is the modern face of age-old mid-winter festivals and has always been a difficult celebration to Christianize. I would recommend this over most such histories I've read; and it has a particularly useful annotated bibliography.
Margaret Sankey
A social history of Christmas, from the desperate need to party in the depths of a pre-modern dark winter, early Christian co-opting of Saturnalia, Eastern and Western church arguing about dates, German royalty spreading Christmas trees, wrapped presents as a Victorian demonstration of impulse control, FDR moving Thanksgiving to extend the holiday shopping season and the flood of movies and music manufactured for popular consumption.
Priscilla
I really love this book. The author wanted to discover the reason Americans celebrate Christmas and why we celebrate the holiday the way we do. I really enjoyed learning about how Christmas spread through the world alongside Christianity. The book also changed the way I think about tradition and challenged me to think about how I celebrate Christmas so that my holiday can be more peace and less hectic.
Stacy Rose
I've been reading Christmas origin books to help me write better letters from Santa Claus, and this one is really good. It is so well researched, but not dry at all. I love learning about why we celebrate the way we do. How most of our traditions are from pre-Christian mid-winter festivals that we just can't let go. It just amazes me that so much of what we do in many holidays goes back to ancient Rome.
Mary
If you, like I, have wondered just what Christmas is really all about, then Christmas: A Candid History is what might explain it for you. How did we get to where we are in this major holiday celebration? Is it really all about the birth of Jesus Christ? What about all these presents, the wrapping paper, the cards? I recommend this book for answers. It is easy to read and worth the time.
Alli
There really wasn't anything in here I didn't already know, and on one of the very last pages there was a quote that SERIOUSLY pissed me off. I try to put that aside though, because it was a pretty concise history nicely put together. The author did have a bit of a Christian bias but he tried his best to hide it and he did a pretty good job up until the end there.
Claire
Excellent, level-headed explanation of how Christmas as we know it today evolved from midwinter celebrations and onward.
Eric Hoefler
Recommended for anyone interested in the roots and evolution of the Christmas holiday. I would have appreciated a more detailed analysis of specific traditions and their roots to pagan practices and beliefs, but given the slim size, it's still an interesting and informative read.
Jenn
Fantastic quick little read - great background, whetting my appetite for another book called the Battle for Christmas!

Actually makes me feel like celebrating a mid-winter return of sunlight instead of avoiding it altogether! I think I'm celebrating Sol Invictus this year!
Sallie
This was required reading for a history class I took. I expected to hate it. I'm not into overly celebrated holidays. Turns out this book was a well thought and written book on the history of the traditions we still use today and why we do.
Jeanette Brewer
For a short book of 153 pages, this manages to cover a fascinating subject in sufficient detail to make you feel you have really learned some things from reading it and gives you plenty if information on doing additional research. Great book!
Barb
Informative, though provocative book on the history of Christmas and how it combines - or separates - religious and commercial Christmas in modern day. Also, suggestions for making Christmas a simpler time.
Martha
Quick read, very informative, and the author's voice really came through. I think it would be enjoyable for readers coming from almost any religious or nonreligious point of view.
Peggie Hart
Excellent - I am now much more comfortable as to the way this holiday is celebrated
Tovis
I enjoyed this bool very much. The only thing I wish it had was more information. It did give various other resources to read and such the for more information.
Gary
A somewhat dry-yet informative-little book by a Methodist minister explaining how keeping the Christ in Christmas wasn't originally the reason for the season.
lorena boyd
Interesting to discover the origins of Christmas. It's not what I thought. Read this book and see if you agree with a child's "4 Basics of Christmas".
Josie
This was a slim volume that was an article disguised as a book. It was redunant and slow moving. A vast disappointment.
  • The Battle for Christmas
  • Halloween: From Pagan Ritual to Party Night
  • The Man Who Invented Christmas: How Charles Dickens's A Christmas Carol Rescued His Career and Revived Our Holiday Spirits
  • Treasures of Tutankhamun: National Gallery of Art, Field Museum of Natural History & the University of Chicago, New Orleans Museum of Art
  • The History of the Snowman: From the Ice Age to the Flea Market
  • Stories Behind the Best-Loved Songs of Christmas
  • How to Prove God Does Not Exist: The Complete Guide to Validating Atheism
  • Project Conversion: One Man, 12 Faiths, One Year
  • The World of Jesus: Making Sense Of The People And Places Of Jesus' Day
  • Worlds Torn Asunder: a Holocaust Survivor's Memoir of Hope
  • Maria
  • Maverick Genius: The Pioneering Odyssey of Freeman Dyson
  • Laura Ingalls Wilder: Young Pioneer (Childhood of Famous Americans)
  • Did Jesus Rise From The Dead?
  • The Illusion of "Truth": The Real Jesus Behind the Grand Myth
  • Death Makes a Holiday: A Cultural History of Halloween
  • Calories & Corsets: A History of Dieting Over 2,000 Years
  • Tutankhamen: Life and Death of a Pharaoh
Religion and Popular Culture in America Rapture, Revelation, and the End Times: Exploring the Left Behind Series Religion and Popular Culture in America Religion and Popular Culture in America: Revised Edition