Start by marking “The Catholic Imagination” as Want to Read:
The Catholic Imagination

The Catholic Imagination

Catholics live in an enchanted world: a world of statues and holy water, stained glass and votive candles, saints and religious medals, rosary beads and holy pictures. But these Catholic paraphernalia are merely hints of a deeper and more pervasive religious sensibility that inclines Catholics to see the Holy lurking in creation. The world of the Catholic is haunted by a s ...more
Published April 28th 2000 by Perseus - Ucal Pod (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Catholic Imagination, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Catholic Imagination

Margaret
Prior to his passing in May 2013, Andrew Greeley created a prolific legacy of books with incredible range: from serious spiritual fiction (The Cardinal Sins, White Smoke, etc.) through clever mysteries (Father, later Bishop, Blackie), 'science fiction' (the angel books),and sentimental Irish romance (Nuala McGrain et al).

The Catholic Imagination exhibits yet another side of a multi-talented author's ouevre. This is Greeley the conscientious and precise sociologist, culling data from a multitude
Bishop
Jun 01, 2010 Bishop rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a pleasure to read. Father Greeley is a good author as well as a Roman Catholic priest and sociologist. He really captures the essence of the Catholic culture in all of its richness and diversity. Catholicism really is one of the great human achievements in religious imagination and experience. Greeley expresses well as to why that is the case. This is a good book for anyone who would want to have a greater understanding of Catholicism whether one is a Catholic or not.
Trevor Thompson
Dec 16, 2010 Trevor Thompson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sociology, religion
I've read this book in the past - maybe in late 90s, but I returned to it b/c it appeared on the table in the staff room at church as a "give-away." Plus, I recently returned to some of the themes I remembered in this book - that the things most shaping the imagination (in religion) are metaphors, stories, rituals, and images - that religion is primarily poetry in its rawest and truest sense - that the Catholic sensibility particularly sees the world in this way because of its sacramental emphas ...more
Donald
Jul 19, 2013 Donald rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The late Fr. Andrew Greeley’s “Catholic Imagination” draws delicate, beautiful lines between great works of art and music by Catholic artists and the enchanted world of votive candles, care for the poor, devotion to the Holy Mother, and the acceptance of the Divine-in-the-world in which Catholics, and I think many Anglicans and Johannites, live. Greeley shows us a way of relating to God through images and thoughts which can improve our social relations and give us hope. As a catholic with a smal ...more
Sam Grace
Feb 12, 2013 Sam Grace rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Pamela Hardigan
So, this is unusual one in my comps list on religion. The author is a Catholic priest and a sociologist and apparently taught at a few universities including mine, but this book is much more targeted at a lay audience than most of what I read. It was a very fast read, which was appropriate to the content. He had some survey data, but I thought that was not very convincing. More interesting was his depiction of the importance of distributed hierarchy in and through communities (particularly given ...more
Steve
This book has been referenced a few times, so I decided to read it. I read it as part of trying to answer my on-going question, "Why have the arts and imagination, generally flourished, more in the hands of catholic artists and writers, than in protestant?"

Is there something in Protestantism that "blocks" artistic pursuit? Is there something in the nature of Catholicism that is more likely to engender the arts?

Greeley points to sacramental and enchanted worldview, the sense of community, heira
Lisa
Sep 17, 2007 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Greeley takes an interesting approach by using sociological data to analyze how Catholics think--in contrast to Protestants, in particular. His argument that Catholics' religious background infuses the way they encounter sacred places, art, community, and the church hierarchy is compelling, though I'd be interested to see how a non-Catholic would interpret the data. I'm also not sure if non-Catholics would find this argument interesting, though I did.
Danielle
Oct 18, 2015 Danielle rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: grad-school
Read this for a class but did not enjoy it. Gave up around the time Greely used the phrase "primal masculine power" or maybe around the 50th time sympathy was used in correlation with women. I can't remember.
Sandi
Nov 14, 2008 Sandi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Greeley is one of my favorite authors. As a priest/sociologist, in this book he examines the role of imagination in the Catholic rituals and community. I ofter tell my family, he is my priiest. If only I could find one like him in a nearby parish, I wouldn't consider myself a "semi-Catholic".
Theresa
Sep 13, 2007 Theresa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
helps one look at what it means to be a Catholic (or to have a Catholic imagination) in a new way. Would recommend it to anyone who's willing to re-examine their Catholic identity.
Angela9600
Feb 11, 2013 Angela9600 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
While some of the ideas are ok, it is very clear why this book does not have an imprimatur in it. I will not be reading any further books by him.
Kaily
Oct 07, 2011 Kaily rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Due to his sociology background, Greeley is a little dry. Nonetheless, it's quite insightful with his use of statistics to make his point about the Catholic imagination concrete.
Debbie
Debbie rated it really liked it
Mar 18, 2016
Sue Erdman
Sue Erdman rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2013
Brenda
Brenda rated it really liked it
Feb 28, 2015
Mikeh
Mikeh rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2016
Ted Bernard
Ted Bernard rated it it was amazing
Oct 21, 2014
Terry Travis
Terry Travis rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2014
Melissa Wentzel Horan
Melissa Wentzel Horan rated it it was amazing
Jul 04, 2011
Rui Cordeiro
Rui Cordeiro rated it really liked it
Dec 23, 2015
Christina Gimlin
Christina Gimlin rated it liked it
Mar 26, 2016
Caitlin Westenberger
Caitlin Westenberger rated it it was amazing
Nov 07, 2012
Roger Overton
Roger Overton rated it it was ok
Feb 22, 2015
Marc Bentley
Marc Bentley rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2014
Rachel Aschmann
Rachel Aschmann rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2012
Bob
Bob rated it liked it
Jan 29, 2008
Melody
Melody rated it liked it
Jun 15, 2012
Justin Bailey
Justin Bailey rated it really liked it
Sep 13, 2014
Nathan
Nathan rated it it was ok
Aug 23, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Letter and Spirit: From Written Text to Living Word in the Liturgy
  • The Selfless Way of Christ: Downward Mobility and the Spiritual Life
  • Blessed Are the Bored in Spirit: A Young Catholic's Search for Meaning
  • Mission of the Messiah: On the Gospel of Luke
  • Why Catholicism Matters: How Catholic Virtues Can Reshape Society in the Twenty-First Century
  • Catholic Prayers of Thanks
  • How to Defend the Faith Without Raising Your Voice: Civil Responses to Catholic Hot-Button Issues
  • God's Voice Within: The Ignatian Way to Discover God's Will
  • Bible Stories for Grown-Ups
  • Catholic Dictionary: An Abridged and Updated Edition of Modern Catholic Dictionary
  • Spiritual Warfare for Every Christian: How to Live in Victory and Retake the Land
  • Living in the Abundance of God
  • Grieving God's Way: The Path to Lasting Hope and Healing
  • Finding God in the Dark: Faith, Disappointment, and the Struggle to Believe
  • Jesus, the Ultimate Therapist: Bringing Hope and Healing
  • The Blessed Woman: Learning About Grace from the Women of the Bible
  • Vatican Council II: Constitutions, Decrees, Declarations (The Basic Sixteen Documents)
  • The Apostles' Creed
Andrew Greeley was a Roman Catholic priest, sociologist, journalist, and author of 50 best-selling novels and more than 100 works of nonfiction. For decades, Greeley entertained readers with such popular characters as the mystery-solving priest Blackie Ryan and the fey, amateur sleuth Nuala Anne McGrail. His books typically center on Irish-American Roman Catholics living or working in Chicago.

htt
More about Andrew M. Greeley...