Start by marking “Five Little Chicks” as Want to Read:

found a worm.
eyed a berry.
And this little chick
gave a squirm!

With counting, fun, and vibrant illustrations, acclaimed storyteller Nancy Tafuri brings the farmyard to life. Mamas and little ones everywhere will cherish all the special moments of these little chicks for years to come.
Published February 1st 2006 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published January 10th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Five Little Chicks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Five Little Chicks

Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.Pete the Cat by Eric LitwinThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleBark, George by Jules FeifferFrom Head to Toe by Eric Carle
How to rock toddler storytime
197th out of 329 books — 185 voters
1 Is One by Tasha TudorThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarlePride & Prejudice  by Jennifer AdamsChicka Chicka 1, 2, 3 by Bill Martin Jr.Cats' Night Out by Caroline Stutson
Best Counting Picture Books
21st out of 39 books — 10 voters

More lists with this book...

Necia
Oct 22, 2011 Necia rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens
I didn't really like the way that reading it aloud I was not able to find a rhythm with the forced rhymes and had to stop several times. Also, my four year old who I was reading it with and has never lived on a farm pointed out that the hen was just plain silly for not letting her chicks eat the items that they wanted to because real chickens would have. Two stars because the illustrations are attractive and we liked the counting but that was about it.
Cara Byrne
Jan 21, 2015 Cara Byrne rated it really liked it
Tafuri tells the story of five little chicks as they search for food on their colorful pond. They see butterflies and shimmery fish, but ultimately their mother shows them where to eat and then cuddles with them to get them to sleep. This brief but well-written story would be perfect for bedtime for a one to two year old. A library baby storytime read.
Asho
I've read about how great Nancy Tafuri's books are for babies and toddlers, and this book was in the "Short and Sweet" book bundle I picked up at the library this week (thinking that Short and Sweet=baby friendly). This book didn't float my boat, though. I didn't think the illustrations were that interesting. I can't give you my son's opinion on them because he was nursing while I read this. Sometimes he pops up to look at the pictures if he finds them interesting, though, and this book didn't w ...more
Kristina
Works great for story time with toddlers or preschoolers - plenty of interactive opportunities and chances to make voice different to catch their attention.
Meg McGregor
Feb 25, 2014 Meg McGregor rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-to-lexi
A beautiful story about the warm and loving bond between Mother Hen and her five chicks. Beautifully illustrated. This book is a keeper!
Bree
May 14, 2014 Bree rated it liked it
Shelves: toddler-books
Notes:
a different spin on 'this little piggy went to market'
chicks chase bugs, eat corn, then go to sleep
Jenna
So much cheeping! Cute to read, but nothing that stood out tremendously.
Karen
Jun 23, 2016 Karen rated it liked it
Shelves: ellie, mom
Ellie read to mom..krb 6/23/16
Nicole
Apr 25, 2014 Nicole rated it really liked it
Cute story, nice rhyming.
Cemeread
For toddlers
Chris
Sep 10, 2014 Chris rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Nonexistent rhythm and poor rhymes sabotage what could have been a cute little story.
Gail
Nov 10, 2009 Gail rated it did not like it
Shelves: children-s-books
My two year old really liked this book for the pictures, but I wasn't as enthusiastic. The rhymes are really forced. The chicks want to eat things like worms, ladybugs, strawberries, fish, and the mother hen leads them to to the corn patch instead. Chickens are omnivores and will eat grain, seeds, fruit, other vegetation, and worms and other insects. So why does this book insist they only eat corn?
June
Mar 31, 2015 June rated it liked it
Recommends it for: librarians, parents, teachers
Recommended to June by: Polly Ross
I like William's text better in the Chicken Book, but choose Tafuri's large bright pictures for Lap Time. 4/11/14

This worked very well in Lap Time. Even with one page torn (I got back from vacation and didn't leave myself time to pre-read.) Should be at least a 3.5. I might even boost it to 4 stars. 4/22/14

I like to use this then play 5 Little Ducks and use the mitt.
Miss Niki
Feb 05, 2010 Miss Niki rated it really liked it
Shelves: p-phoneme
Good counting book for preschoolers.
Target sounds / f - p /
"F" Initial - 9 times
"P" Initial - 11 times; Medial - 1 time; Final - 10 times

In general the book targets the bilabial sounds / p - b - m - w / several times; all preschool sounds are well represented and would also be good for Final Consonant Deletion.
My last boss always used to say that Tafuri was the toddler author to go to, but her books can work for infants as well. They are simple stories with bright colorful illustrations, with details to engage busy minds and fingers.
Mary Luzader
I'd seen a finger play very similar to this book. It lends itself well to an illustrated book. I thought it was a little long as a finger play to start with. Sweet, gentle pictures on the baby chicks on the farm.
Ann
Jun 11, 2012 Ann rated it liked it
The pictures in this book are cute, but nothing remarkable, and the rhymes were forced and difficult to read out loud. I thought that the author may be British since she rhymes "strawberry" with "worry", but no.
Korinne Sackela
Sep 04, 2013 Korinne Sackela rated it did not like it
There were really weird rhythms that I felt really forced to try and read it. I was actually frustrated with the way the book read, there wasn't any flow and the pages don't correlate. I was not impressed.
Allison Parker
Mar 17, 2012 Allison Parker rated it liked it
Planning to use this with a flannel board in storytime. Super simple, rhyming text offers plenty of opportunity for actions as well as felts. Great for toddlers especially.
Andria
Jan 10, 2015 Andria rated it liked it
This was ok but the rhymes seemed forced. Good for counting skills and can add to my duck story time but not a favorite.
Wendy Kuzma
Jul 08, 2011 Wendy Kuzma rated it really liked it
Shelves: farm-animals
Loved this cute little book. It would be fun to use in toddler time and have the kids scratch around like chickens. :)
Beverly
Oct 15, 2014 Beverly rated it really liked it
Lovely, large illustrations and a simple rhyme; perfect for group sharing with toddler or pre-school groups.
Sabrina
May 05, 2010 Sabrina rated it really liked it
Shelves: chilrens-books
Excellent book for counting and predictions. It is designed for preschoolers and yound children.
jacky
Nov 09, 2009 jacky rated it liked it
Read at story time at the Auburn Library. It was a cute story. It taught what chicks eat.
Cat Fithian
The meter on the rhymes is haphazard. Illustrations are lovely, as is usual for her.
Paula
Oct 30, 2013 Paula rated it really liked it
Five chicks and their mother peck in the corn patch in search of breakfast.
Deb
May 18, 2013 Deb rated it really liked it
Big illustrations always make Tafuri good for presenting to group.
Gilbert
Nov 02, 2010 Gilbert rated it really liked it
Shelves: rhythm-and-rhyme
Sweet story about five little chicks finding something to eat.
Stephanie
Jul 24, 2012 Stephanie rated it really liked it
very cute for practicing rhyming words!
  • Big Fat Hen
  • Hurry! Hurry!
  • Hello, Day!
  • This Little Chick
  • One, Two, Buckle My Shoe
  • Color Farm Board Book
  • Wee Little Chick
  • How Do You Make a Baby Smile?
  • 1, 2, Buckle My Shoe
  • Two at the Zoo
  • Clip-Clop
  • Let's Count Goats!
  • My Car
Nancy Tafuri is probably best known as the creator of Have You Seen My Duckling?, a 1985 Caldecott Honor Book described by Parent’s Choice as “beautifully precise yet emotionally affecting.” Trained as a graphic designer, Tafuri has authored more than 45 books over 30 years for the very young.

When Tafuri first attempted picture book illustration in the late 1970’s picture books were aimed at five-
More about Nancy Tafuri...