Start by marking “Little Cakes from the Whimsical Bakehouse: Cupcakes, Small Cakes, Muffins, and Other Mini Treats” as Want to Read:

The mania for miniature sweets is gaining momentum–maybe due to happy memories of the magical tea parties of our childhood, or the intimacy of having our own tiny treat in a supersized world, with no need to share!

The mother-daughter team at the Riviera Bakehouse in Westchester, New York, and authors of The Whimsical Bakehouse and Christmas Cookies from the Whimsical Bake
Published February 19th 2008 by Clarkson Potter

To ask other readers questions about Little Cakes from the Whimsical Bakehouse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Cakes from the Whimsical Bakehouse

Riona
Nov 08, 2012 Riona rated it liked it
Shelves: owned, cookbooks
I don't think I've actually made anything from this book, but everything in here is adorable, the pictures are great, and it's one of my favorite places to turn for inspiration. Unfortunately, many of the cakes require specialty pans or other equipment, and some appear to be very fussy and difficult (and I'm speaking as someone who regularly makes multiple-page recipes that use every pan in the house just for fun). There are some valuable techniques explained in these pages, though - the section ...more
Lorie
Apr 08, 2009 Lorie rated it really liked it
Shelves: food-drink
I am giving this one 4 stars with trepidation. It is a wonderful book, full of mini creations that are beautiful and fascinating to behold.

That said, it is NOT a book for the beginner or casual baker. There are difficult techniques and very time-consuming ideas here that are daunting to me (and I bake all the time). Many of the recipes look good and seem fairly simple and straightforward, but the embellishments and decorating ideas are very involved.

There are some good tips here for regular bake
Country Mum
Mar 01, 2011 Country Mum rated it it was ok
Shelves: dow-lib
Nicely presented but haven't tried anything. Too complicated and icings are made up of that much syrups, sugars to make you feel ill just reading the recipe!
Emily S.
May 28, 2008 Emily S. rated it it was ok
Most of the cupcakes in this book are difficult...something only a seasoned cook would attempt. Still, for the adventurous, they'll be a lot of fun!
Cecily
Mar 18, 2010 Cecily rated it it was ok
I had such high hopes for this book. It does contain several recipes I'll try, but I thought the book would contain more decorating ideas.
Jerzy
Jerzy rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2016
Gini
Gini rated it it was amazing
Nov 01, 2015
Jessica
Jessica rated it it was ok
Feb 25, 2008
Ellrina
Ellrina rated it liked it
Jun 13, 2012
William Bartilson Jr.
William Bartilson Jr. rated it really liked it
May 24, 2015
mary walters
mary walters rated it did not like it
Aug 23, 2015
kushana
kushana rated it it was amazing
Dec 03, 2016
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was amazing
Sep 27, 2012
Catherine
Catherine rated it really liked it
May 29, 2012
Kaylynn
Kaylynn rated it it was amazing
Sep 07, 2016
Claudia
Claudia rated it it was amazing
Feb 25, 2015
ezra
ezra rated it it was amazing
Dec 23, 2015
Nicole Hamilton
Nicole Hamilton rated it it was amazing
Dec 14, 2015
Zaid Naji
Zaid Naji rated it liked it
Jun 07, 2015
Marsha
Marsha rated it really liked it
May 15, 2015
Kikiok
Kikiok rated it liked it
Nov 19, 2011
mary church
mary church rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2015
judymae
judymae rated it liked it
Mar 22, 2015
mark ofosu
mark ofosu rated it it was amazing
Jul 28, 2016
Jillian
Jillian rated it it was ok
Jun 12, 2011
chloe Louise shafe
chloe Louise shafe rated it it was ok
Mar 29, 2016
Rachel
Rachel rated it liked it
Dec 09, 2013
Sarah Scanlon
Sarah Scanlon rated it it was ok
Jan 07, 2016
Cache
Cache rated it it was amazing
Aug 11, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Confetti Cakes Cookbook: Spectacular Cookies, Cakes, and Cupcakes from New York City's Famed Bakery
  • Crazy About Cupcakes
  • Cupcakes!
  • 500 Cupcakes: The Only Cupcake Compendium You'll Ever Need (500 Series Cookbooks)
  • Cake Love: How to Bake Cakes from Scratch
  • Seasonal Fruit Desserts: From Orchard, Farm, and Market
  • Sugar Baby: Confections, Candies, Cakes, & Other Delicious Recipes for Cooking with Sugar
  • What's New, Cupcake? Ingeniously Simple Designs for Every Occasion
  • Sticky, Chewy, Messy, Gooey: Desserts for the Serious Sweet Tooth
  • Sky High: Irresistible Triple-Layer Cakes
  • 101 Things to Do with a Cake Mix
  • The Art of the Cookie: Baking Up Inspiration by the Dozen
  • All Cakes Considered: A Year's Worth of Weekly Recipes Tested, Tasted, and Approved by the Staff of NPR's All Things Considered
  • Homemade Soda
  • Whoopie Pies
  • Food Network Magazine Great Easy Meals: 250 Delicious Recipes for the Whole Family
  • Kaffeehaus: Exquisite Desserts from the Classic Cafés of Vienna, Budapest and Prague
  • The Magnolia Bakery Cookbook: Old Fashioned Recipes From New York's Sweetest Bakery