The Highwayman's Footsteps

The Highwayman's Footsteps

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  178 ratings  ·  23 reviews
"The novel gallops along at a cracking pace, packed full of plot twisters." — THE HERALD (UK)

"I felt cold metal on the side of my skull before I heard the voice. I knew at once what it was. A pistol. Resting on the bone just behind my ear. The favorite place for murderers, robbers, highwaymen — because, by angling the pistol slightly inward, they could be sure to blow a ma...more
Published October 9th 2007 by Candlewick Press (first published November 6th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Highwayman's Footsteps, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Highwayman's Footsteps

Maryana
Inspired by the famous poem by Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman’s Footsteps trace the adventures of William, a young runaway and his friend Bess, a highwayman’s daughter. 18th century England is a context of national turmoil. Against this backdrop, the pair must determine the boundaries between right and wrong as they try to make a difference.

Morgan is certainly true to her inspiration and uses rich and vivid poetic language in order to bring the time and place of her tale to epic life. Words are c...more
David
The Highwayman's footsteps really delves into a real historical viewpoint of the classes in 18th century England (Pre-American Revolution)... A young nobleman, experiencing cruelty from his brother and injustice (caused by the brother's lies) at the hands of his father, runs away from home. He finds himself at the mercy of a highwayman (sort of) and quickly a bond is formed between the two.

This one is written for the young adult market, but I found it very, very, well written, though at times,...more
Pip
A pretty average book. Not great but not bad. The start of the book was good, straight into the action with the main character being held at gun point and telling himself 'I am not a true gentelman! I should have duelled my father and brother for that insult!' but after what I thought was a strong opening it quickly deteriorated. Will, you're a good character but please stop asking questions! They made up the majority of the book so after the 5th chapter the book really became a chore for me. I...more
Kaitlyn
Okay, I liked the main character of this book. He wasn't perfect, but he was well-intentioned and I felt fairly believeable. Yes, he was rather typical. However, he seemed like the kind of guy I wouldn't mind knowing, and while he didn't make for an absolutely fabulous main, he wasn't bad. Bess I didn't like NEARLY as much, probably because of my problem with strong, beautiful, independant heroines without faults. Yeah... she bugged me. But it was okay... except for a few things.
First of all......more
Jalyn Ely
I don’t normally read historical fiction, but two things convinced me to pick up this book. One was the promise of highwaymen, which sounded at least interesting. The other was the three-dollar price tag. I figured for three bucks, it couldn’t be that bad.

It wasn’t exactly like I expected, but it wasn’t bad. And it’s almost funny that Henry played such a big part in the story (despite the fact that he wasn’t in much of it) and wasn’t even mentioned in the synopsis.

Will was the main character and...more
Harley
Feb 28, 2008 Harley rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: If you like Adventure and History this is your book.
This book is called The Highwayman’s Footsteps. Author of this book is Nicola Morgan. She wrote other books like Chicken Friend, Flesh Market, and The Passion Flower Massacre.
The story starts in the old days when the Revolution war was starting. A young boy that has every thing he could ever dream of runs away from home. He leaves because his dad was a very mean man. Who leads the war for the British.
When he runs away he goes into an ally and a young girl points a gun at him. She is really...more
Sammi
This book has a lot of morality questions in it. It talks about social status, and it's implications, as well as why we do the things we do. On top of that, it had many insinuations that women are less worthy than men, which is natural considering the time period it is set in. Some of the views were interesting, but many of them, also were irritating. Will spends so much time pondering right, wrong, and how he's about to die, we sometimes forget that there is an actual story behind it all. On to...more
Lily
This book reconnected me to my absolute love for Alfred Noyes' poem The Highwayman, and for that I thank it. So many fangirl moments reading this book.
Jaden (Booklol6)
I frst fought this book was 3 0ut 5 and went to a 2 it just really not my type of story.
Gordon
Loved it, but sadly the ending was a slight letdown. A real shame as this book had amazing potential.
Kathy
I enjoyed this book. I liked how both Will and Bess's attitudes and opinions changed and especially how Will learned that all people are the same regardless of social stature or race.

I liked Bess's strength and very much like that even though she was the strong one, the "girl power" message wasn't preachy or over done.

I was very impressed by how the author interwove the glorious poem the Highwayman in to the story and still stayed true to it.

I do have to say I was slightly perturbed by the en...more
Liz

I wanted to love this book, honestly I did. I loved the idea of and was excited to read a novel based around one of my favorite poems, "The Highwayman" by Alfred Noyes. But it just didn't live up to my hopes. The language felt clunky and didn't read smoothly and the main character's constant questioning and inner turmoil grated my nerves. The retelling of the events of the famous poem felt too much like a copy-and-paste project with some added details and paraphrasing. Overall, I was bored.
Claire
Set in the mists of Scotland's history, The Highwayman's Footsteps leads us on a chase for justice through the farm holds, woods, moors and towns. The unlikely duo of the soft-hearted son of a lord and a hiwayman's gritty daughter strive together to combat the iron hand of the gentry that is squeezing the life from the Scots.
Jenny
Will is a highborn second son fleeing his father and brother. Now he's being robbed at pistol point, only to find its a wounded girl, Bess. The two build trust in each other as they flee redcoats. Their pasts come out, and it may be the only thing that will save them is the ghost of a highwayman, Bess's father.
PickyReader
I'm not sure why, but I just can't read this book. The pace is very dull, and so is the narrator. I'm sure his point of view kept up with the times he was supposed to be in, but his voice is very dull. I don't like him.

I got to page 146 before I realized I had enough.

The end.
Katie Jane
This historical fiction novel tells the story of the daughter of the Highwayman and the landlord's daughter from the poem "The Highwayman" by Alfred Noyes. I came across it while I was browsing the library shelves, and I'm glad I did. Action-packed to say the least.
Leeland Mooring Freak
Really neat twist on The Highwayman, a poem I have always loved. The author really keeps you guessing on everything that's going to happen next, a really rare quality to find in most books nowadays. Really an inspiration and hope for all writers!!
Molly
When I first read The Highwayman in seventh grade, it transfixed me, so, naturally, when I found this book, I could't wait to see what it was all about. IT'S WONDERFUL! Read it. I promise you won't regret it.
Rachel
Very slow moving. The main characters thoughts come out in lots of questions which makes it harder to read. The questions get a little boring after awhile.
Hailey
Oct 16, 2012 Hailey rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Hailey by: My friend Kennedy
Shelves: favorites
I loved the way the author writes. She based this story on a poem. You have to read it. I haven't read a book like this one for a while.
Erin
This book is not exactly a romance, but I found it romantic. The way the story was told certainly made my heart flutter.
Jeanette
I liked the story, but it had a little too much self reflection for me. I found myself skipping over sections.
Tiffany
A sad yet memorable story full of emotions.
Tameka
Tameka marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014