Start by marking “MLA Handbook For Writers Of Research Papers” as Want to Read:
MLA Handbook For Writers Of Research Papers

MLA Handbook For Writers Of Research Papers

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  2,464 ratings  ·  118 reviews
Since the publication of the first edition in 1977, more than three million copies of the highly regarded MLA Handbook have been sold. The Handbook includes a discussion of student research and writing, sections on using computer technology in preparing research papers, standards for the mechanics of writing, complete instructions of using MLA documentation style, extensiv ...more
Paperback, Third Edition
Published 1988 by Modern Language Association of America (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about MLA Handbook For Writers Of Research Papers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about MLA Handbook For Writers Of Research Papers

James
According to the blurb on the back cover, NEWSWEEK has said the MLA Handbook is "The style bible for most college students," and I'm confident this is very much the truth. Nevertheless, this (indispensable) guidebook fails quite miserably in qualifying as a joy to read, and, thus, I am led to ponder that Satan himself may be using "Joseph Gibaldi" as a pen-name. If the Bible was the greatest story ever told, then the MLA Handbook is, perhaps, the greatest necessary evil ever written.

So, I'll ave
Lit Bug
A great, terrifying scrutiny of every single thing you need to know about writing a proper, acceptable thesis. Super-annoying, super-useful. Confusing with its wealth of detail but really simple if you know where you’re headed. I got a really blasting headache making sense of it.

Citing a thesis is definitely harder than writing a thesis. Now, please spare the poor person who spent years on researching and writing. Wasn’t that enough for you folks up there??? Leave us alone!!!
K.
Chris
Useful, yes. Also, it makes good kindling when you're ready to go on the lam after murdering people due to the absurdity of the MLA format.
Adam Wilsman
4. The Format of the Research Paper
5. Documentation: Preparing the List of Works Cited
6. Documentation: Citing Sources in the Text
7. Abbreviations

"If you borrow more than once from the same source within a single paragraph and no borrowing from another source intervenes, you may give a single parenthetical reference after the last borrowing."

"The second parenthetical citation omits the author's nam
Sean McBride
So I'm not real sure how to edit this, but it was a challenge. In an effort to improve my knowledge and grammatical and editorial skills I decided, like A.J. Jacobs did with the encyclopedia to read this thing straight through. I did glean a bevy of knowledge on how to cite appropriately and I now k ow that the abbreviation for ezra is...ezra, but overall I'd say to leave this book fir what it's meant for...referencing for when you're unsure of something instead of reading it all the way through ...more
sabisteb
MLA, man mag es oder hasst es. Ich bin eigentlich andere Zitiersysteme gewöhnt, die deutlich logischer strukturiert sind. Im MLA System fehlt mir eine durchgehende Logik. Wie auch immer, es ist nicht an mir zu entscheiden, wie MLA auszusehen hat und dass es eigentlich komplett schwachsinnig ist, bei Webseiten keine Links anzugeben und bei Büchern keine ISBN, das müssten die Geisteswissenschaftler unter sich ausmachen.

Letzendlich hat dieses Buch einen eher begrenzten Nutzen, es gibt bessere Webse
HeavyReader
Dec 26, 2011 HeavyReader rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people required to use it when writing a research paper
Shelves: writing, reference
At some point in my life, most probably when I was in college, but maybe in high school too, I used this book as a guide to writing a research paper. I didn't read the book cover to cover. That would be silly.

I'll probably have to use it again if I ever write another research paper. The chance of that happening is slim.
Drew Lackovic
I've never found a MLA formatting book that I've been happy with. This one lives up to the low standard I've grown to expect for MLA books. It seems every time I need to do a strange quotation, these books never really have an answer in an easily findable/existing manner.
Stacy Davis-White
If I never have to see this book again..it will be too soon!!!!!!
Nicole Pramik
Naturally, this has been the go-to citation format guide for years, as I had this text assigned to me when I was a college student and I've assigned it as an English professor to my classes. Thus, it has a monopoly of sorts on the market, you might say, as any other texts I've perused lack the level of detail that this father-of-all-citation guides possesses.

As a brief aside, yes, citation format can be a pain and it can seem nitpicky, but it is beneficial for keeping track of sources in an orga
Tom
Gibaldi, J. (2003). MLA handbook for writers of research papers. New York: Modern Language Association of America.

Citation created by: Tom Shaw

Call Number: LB2369 .G53 2003

Description: This handbook is an easy-to-use reference that can be used to guide students through the task of doing the groundwork, writing and documenting effective research papers.

Content/Scope: Writing style, abbreviations, proper citations, and formatting are covered, along with new material on citing electronic informat
Jill Messer
Name: Jill Messer
Title: Gibaldi, Joseph. (2009). MLA handbook for writers of research papers, 7th edition. New York, NY: Modern Language Association of America.
Type of Reference: Handbook
Call Number: R 808.02 G35m
Brief Description: This book is a step-by-step guide for any one who is writing a research paper. It provides an authoritative source of up to date information about the writing process and style.
Citation of a Review: Booklist review. (1995). Retrieved from http://booklistonline.com/MLA
Lauren Fynboe
Gibaldi, J. (2009). MLA handbook for writers of research papers (7th ed.). New York, NY: Modern Language Association Press.

Citation by Lauren Fynboe

Reference Type: Handbook

Call Number:

Description: Content Scope-This reference presents the most up-to-date information about citing sources, especially as required in high school English classes. Accuracy, Authority, & Bias-This text presents no bias and as it is published by the Modern Language Association, its guides are accurate and reliable
Amanda Daugherty
Gibaldi, J., & Modern Language Association of America. (2009). MLA handbook for writers of research papers. New York: Modern Language Association of America.

Citation created by: Amanda Daugherty

Type of reference: Handbook

Call number: 808.027

Description: This is the handbook that contains all the rules and examples to use when citing information using the MLA format.

Content/Scope: This is the 7th edition of the MLA handbook. It contains the rules on how to properly write citations for informa
Mara Eastern
A good guide for beginners, but it does not cover the needs of anyone actually serious with style. Contains some questionable advice, including the one on capitalising coordinating conjunctions in titles of works while setting subordinating conjunctions in lower-case. Seriously.
Ilib4kids
808.027 MLA 2009

The MLA Handbook is published by the Modern Language Association, the authority on MLA documentation style. Widely adopted by universities, colleges, and secondary schools.

Ref:The New Kids: Big Dreams and Brave Journeys at a High School for Immigrant Teens
Matt
Can't believe I'm reviewing this. But it's a bit rubbish. I keep getting sources which it doesn't specifically cover. Also, would be nice if they could explain exactly how to use MS Word to coordinate its facilities with the whole gamut of resources available.
Snorkle
What this book lacks in entertainment purposes it more then makes up for it in the educational aspects. There is not one element of MLA style that they have not covered in this book. If you are trying to cite something you can look it up in this book and they will have dozens of different examples for every possibility. I used this book a lot for my Comm III class and it helped me understand why I needed to do certain things while writing a paper. Also, if you are a organizational freak like me, ...more
Kristal
Good resource, but honestly I use citation builders on the internet as they are quicker and easier. I will be selling/donating this book as soon as I am done college.

Who actually enjoys reading this stuff?
Donna
Love this handbook, so very helpful for learning MLA.
Peter Anderson
A good book for pedants like me :-)
Lisa (Harmonybites)
When I was in college this was the standard for research papers. And I'd agree it's much easier to use and more lucid than the Blue Book I'd later have to use for legal citations. It's true though that this edition, published in 1995 is probably dated. And given I've finished my higher education, I can't see a reason to keep it any longer on my shelves--but it sure gave good service during my college years--and if you're in or about to enter college--I'd certainly recommend getting whatever is t ...more
Heather
This was one of my graduate school textbooks, and I referred to this often since I haven't used MLA in years and possibly never used it correctly in the past. I believe I will reference it often throughout my time in grad school.
Jewels
I had originally purchased this book because it was required for my British Literature class. I find this odd, since he never assigned a paper. However, it did come in handy for the paper I had to write in my political science class, so there ya go. As far as instruction manuals go, this one was pretty in depth, yet easy to understand. If you are just starting out writing papers or if you need to put some polish on your work, this is a good volume to check out.
Caroline
This was my core book from my subject bibliographies class in school. It was incredibly useful and my copy has all my notes, highlights, and underlines of the key points of referencing print materials and web documents.

Purely reference. Lol, marking this as "read" amuses me, since I didn't read it cover to cover, though, my copy is well-used.

Too bad a the new edition is out so the shiny sixth is a bit out of date.
Aziz Qaissi
Widely adopted by universities, colleges, and secondary schools, the "MLA Handbook" gives step-by-step advice on every aspect of writing research papers, from selecting a topic to submitting the completed paper.
angrykitty
ho ho!! what fun!!! if you've ever had to take an english class....i'm sure you hate/love this book too!!! i don't even know how this book gets sold anymore. citation changes so often, and there really does seem to be a real shift towards ama, or apa, or whatever the hell the citation that starts with an a is....
Aspasia
I got this book from the library but it's full of so much information that I bought a used copy today from Barnes and Noble. This is a must read for any research paper that requires the MLA style. It's broken down into numbered sections and even includes how to cite electronic sources.
  • A Glossary of Literary Terms
  • A Manual for Writers of Research Papers, Theses, and Dissertations: Chicago Style for Students and Researchers
  • Roget International Thesaurus
  • The Associated Press Stylebook: and Briefing on Media Law, Fully Revised and Updated [2004]
  • The Chicago Manual of Style
  • Rules for Writers
  • Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary
  • Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association
  • 501 French Verbs: Fully Conjugated in All the Tenses and Moods in a New Easy-To-Learn Format, Alphabetically Arranged
  • Bartlett's Familiar Quotations: A Collection of Passages, Phrases and Proverbs Traced to Their Sources in Ancient and Modern Literature
  • Style: Toward Clarity and Grace
  • 501 German Verbs
  • Bantam New College Latin and English Dictionary
  • A Handbook to Literature
  • Writing Research Papers: A Complete Guide
  • The Little, Brown Handbook, APA Update with CD
  • The Bedford Glossary of Critical and Literary Terms
  • The Penguin Dictionary of Literary Terms and Literary Theory
MLA Style Manual and Guide to Scholarly Publishing Introduction to Scholarship in Modern Languages and Literatures Approaches to Teaching Chaucer's Canterbury Tales (Approaches to Teaching Masterpieces of World Literature ; 1) MLA 英語論文の手引 A Guide To Professional Organizations For Teachers Of Language And Literature