Start by marking “Book of Transformations: Legends of the Red Sun: Book Three” as Want to Read:
Book of Transformations: Legends of the Red Sun: Book Three

Book of Transformations: Legends of the Red Sun: Book Three (Legends of the Red Sun #3)

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  180 ratings  ·  25 reviews
A new and corrupt Emperor seeks to rebuild the ancient structures of Villjamur to give the people of the city hope in the face of great upheaval and an oppressing ice age. But when a stranger called Shalev arrives, empowering a militant underground movement, crime and terror becomes rampant. The Inquisition is always one step behind, and military resources are spread thinl...more
Published June 1st 2011 by Tor Books (first published May 25th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Book of Transformations, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Book of Transformations

Jason
5 stars

I am really enjoying the evolution of Mark Charan Newton as a writer, the depth of the Legends of the Red Sun, and the fun that it all is to read. Like the previous two novels this is a fantasy, sci-fi, and New Weird novel rolled into one. Unlike the first two, this one does not play out as a detective novel, but it does not suffer as a result.

In this the third book in the series, we return toVilljamur with a whole new cast and very different plot line. Yes, war is impending but this book...more
Neil Pearson
The third installment of the "legends of the red sun" is the most unique so far with a focus on superheroes as a political tool. While this idea is well explored in the realms of comic, I haven't really seen it done in fantasy before. The motivations behind these "heroes" are, oddly enough, more realistic than in modern set comics. It also explores the "good people doing bad things" in a mature way and also highlights that people are often powerless against the system - something I'm sure Mark w...more
Pauline
And here we reach the book in the series where crap hits the ceiling. The third installment of the the Legend of the Red Sun series take readers even further into the issues and devious plots that surround Villamanjur with the impending ice age.

In a time of unrest, what is a city to do to alleviate its' inhabitants of the unease that lingers with each passing day? The obvious answer is to round up a trio of people with questionable backgrounds and magic them into superheros. They are then used...more
Ahimsa
This aptly named book takes the Red Sun series to new and unexpected places.

It's not perfect, and at times the prose feels first drafty. Some of the dialogue is clunky, and the modern vernacular is distracting; ie; "What's up?" a character refers to their "rep," an angry boss yells "my office, now!" There are two mentions of Neandrathals, which seems to make no sense to this world. Presumably the dialect has been translated from a foreign tongue to modern English, but it can be jarring.

Newton d...more
ChristinaJL
Another great addition to the series. Imaginative characters again and I love the mystery to the world's beginnings/history. This is fantasy that makes the reader think about the environment and society in general as well. Really looking forward to the next book!!!
Liviu
very Short Comment: Just awesome and continues the very high level of a series that is already in my top-top level; the best characters of the author so far, especially Lan and Fulcrom.

will have more as time goes by and release date gets closer
Bill
Unfortunately, nowhere near as good as the first two books in this series,both of whom were excellent.
Liviu Szoke
Superheroes employed by the emperor to fight against the anarchists ruled by a determined cultists! Awesome! And a love story between a rumel-investigator for the Inquisition. And one of the two Moons which rotates around the planet is actually a city created hundreds of thousands of years ago by a Demi-God called Frater Mercury. I think this volume prepares us for the climactic last volume, where everything must mix and explode in our faces.
Though I didn't understand why the second volume takes...more
Mark Newton
Jun 20, 2012 Mark Newton rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Well, I wrote it. Of course I'm going to like it!
Goran Zidar
This series is dark fantasy, and this book is no exception, in fact I think this is actually the darkest of the books so far. Villjamur is a cold, bleak, place with the new Emperor Urtica on the verge of losing everything he finagled his way into. All the bribes, murders, and politicking could come to naught given the threat that faces the ancient city.

Enter the Villjamur Knights.

In keeping with the Emperor’s methods are three individuals who are blackmailed into accepting transformations that...more
Aleksander Cristea
Third in Mark Charan Newton’s Legend of the Red Sun series, The Book of Transformations, was one of my most anticipated read this year and I looked forwards to returning to Villjamur to discover the events unfolding there in a timeline parallel to that of City of Ruin.

The Book of Transformations picks up where Nights of Villjamur left off: the refugees are freezing to death outside the gates whilst the citizens inside attempt to carry on their lives as normally as possible through the onset of...more
Dave de Burgh
I’ve been a fan of Mark’s work since I read the first chapter of Nights of Villjamur. That book was something special, and Book 2 in the Legends of the Red Sun, City of Ruin, was even better. So when I started reading Book 3 I was pretty confident that Mark wasn’t going to disappoint – after all, being two books into a series should mean that the storyteller is more confident and at ease. I’m happy to report that The Book of Transformations didn’t disappoint. :-)

This third book in the series is...more
Kathryn
This is not the review I want to write, sadly.

The Book of Transformations is the third in Newton's Legends of the Red Sun series, and is the most distanced book. Unlike City of Ruin, it doesn't particularly follow on too much from the previous book, although chronologically it's set almost directly after. Whilst a few familiar characters crop up and we return to Villjamur once again, the rest of the book revolves around new characters.

Whilst the book gets off to an incredibly good start, I felt...more
Philip Jones
The whole book simply seems to be filler, moving the story along from the end of book two to four and could have simply been a chapter as far as anything interesting happened. I only read this as was given the book after finding book 2 disappointed. Without the ending of book two; which I struggled to read; i would not have even started it.

I didn't find myself liking any of the characters and was hoping they would all be destroyed in Villjamir at the end. Book four might be more interesting, but...more
Raman
Ok, things got crazy in this book. Again with the heavy handed diatribe against our sexual mores in society, this time about the transgendered community. Lan is a great character, but really, how many times do I have to be hit over the head with this commentary about our ill treatment of people that are different?
The plot progressed in fits and starts and the deaths and abuse in this book became distasteful. I did like Vuldon as a character, but Ulryk's last minute deus ex machina thing he did...more
Nicole
Jacen
This series really shifts into high gear with this latest novel. We have seen before Mark is not scared to tackle issues, serious issues that we as a society have to deal with. This book takes a much deeper look at such things than the other novels in the series, they were great but with this book I think Mark has really hit his stride.
Through the story gender, the nature of power structures and social responsibility are all covered, however don't let that put you off they are all issues that...more
Denise
The third book in the Legends of the Red Sun series takes us back to the city of Villjamur and introduces a number of interesting new characters while moving along the storyline through last-ditch attempts to quell the rising anarchy in the city and setting the stage for what promises to be a breathtaking conclusion of the series. I did miss some of the protagonists from the first two books in this one that I'm certainly looking forward to seeing again in book four.
Praan
Another splendid entry in this series. At times, I was more interested in the Knights/Lan/Fulcrum scenes than the Dartun scenes, but they tied together well in the end. Brynd's missive re: the events of Villirien suggest that Book 4 is going to lead to very intriguing developments, especially now as a certain Frater is on the scene.
John
(meget) Kort fortalt: Startede ok og midtvejs troede jeg at det ville være klart bedre bog end de to forrige i serien, men..men den sidste 1/4 trak voldsomt ned :)
Tror ikke at jeg læser flere i bøger i denne serie...nu har jeg seriøst givet den flere chancer.
Yagiz Erkan
Even though I didn't enjoy it as much as the first two, the Book of Transformations is still a great book. I love Newton's style and I can easily connect with his characters.

A more detailed review will follow...
Adrian Faulkner
Another great book from Newton. personally, I felt some of the character arcs were a little rushed in places, but still a very worthwhile read
Matt
Definitely a series worth checking out for fantasy fans. While I enjoyed the first two more, this book was still quite entertaining.
Robert
After reading the other books of this series, I was disappointed. but the ending was good
Chibi Fearon
146 of 150 copies exclusive to Goldsboro books
Daniel Brecht
Daniel Brecht marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
N I
N I marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Rashmit Mishra
Rashmit Mishra marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Aubrey
Aubrey marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
  • The Warlock's Shadow (The Thief-Taker's Apprentice #2)
  • The Sea Watch (Shadows of the Apt, #6)
  • Canticle (Psalms of Isaak, #2)
  • The River of Shadows (The Chathrand Voyage, #3)
  • Seasons of War (Long Price Quartet, #3-4)
  • Corvus (The Macht, #2)
  • Knife Sworn (Tower and Knife Trilogy, #2)
  • Sworn in Steel (Tales of the Kin, #2)
  • The Hammer
  • The Sacred Band (Acacia, #3)
  • Orb Sceptre Throne (Malazan Empire #4)
  • The Obsidian Heart (Echoes of Empire, #2)
Mark Charan Newton was born in 1981, and holds a degree in Environmental Science. After working in bookselling, he moved into editorial positions at imprints covering film and media tie-in fiction, and later, science fiction and fantasy. He currently lives and works in Nottingham. His major label debut is Nights of Villjamur, which is published by Tor UK (Pan Macmillan) and Bantam Spectra (Random...more
More about Mark Charan Newton...
Nights of Villjamur (Legends of the Red Sun, #1) City of Ruin (Legends of the Red Sun, #2) Drakenfeld (Lucan Drakenfeld, #1) The Broken Isles (Legends of the Red Sun, # 4) The Reef