Start by marking “Genghis: Lords of the Bow (Conqueror, #2)” as Want to Read:
Genghis: Lords of the Bow (Conqueror, #2)

Genghis: Lords of the Bow (Conqueror #2)

4.31  ·  Rating Details ·  12,650 Ratings  ·  500 Reviews
Genghis unites Mongol tribes to cross the Gobi Desert and fight the Chin - gleaming cities, soaring walls, and canals. Laying siege to one fortress after another, Genghis cunningly crushes each enemy differently, overcoming moats, barriers, deceptions, and superior firepower—until his army calls the Emperor in Yenking to kneel.
Published March 25th 2008 by Delacorte Press (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Genghis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Genghis

Stephen
Photobucket

Oh really? Well, if the above adage is an accurate sentiment, than I think it's equitable to concede that Genghis Khan, ruler of the mightily manly Mongols, vanquisher and subjugator of a quarter of the known world, was...to state it bluntly...the...MAN...
Photobucket

Your enemies don't come more dripping with macho-awesomeness than that!!

This second installment of Iggulden’s Conqueror trilogy begins several years following the events of Genghis: Birth of an Empire. In the first book, we followed Genghis f
Dan Schwent
Jan 15, 2012 Dan Schwent rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
Genghis Khan continues uniting the Mongol tribes and takes them across the Gobi Desert into the lands of the Chin. The Khan's forces sack village after village, until setting their sights on Yenking. Can even the vast horde break an impregnable fortress-city?

Lords of the Bow picks up a couple years after Birth of an Empire left off. While the story wasn't as gripping as Birth of an Empire, it was still good. The most interesting aspects were the ways Genghis inspired confidence in his men. It wo
Alice Poon
Sep 30, 2016 Alice Poon rated it really liked it
This was a gripping page-turner. 3.7 stars. The author paints a credible picture of Genghis Khan's temperament and psychological tendencies in his decision-making processes and in his dealings with his family, his tribesmen and his enemies.

The story is about how Genghis Khan, having united all the various Mongol tribes, led his army to invade the Xi Xia Kingdom (of Tanguts) and then the Chin (Jin) Empire (of Jurchens). It tells how he developed and improved his assault tactics.

Historical informa
Vagner Stefanello
Jul 09, 2016 Vagner Stefanello rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Review in Portuguese from Desbravando Livros:

Alguns meses após ter lido O Lobo das Planícies, primeiro livro dessa série do Conn Iggulden, consegui encaixar Os Senhores do Arco na lista infinita de leitura e afirmo: deveria ter lido antes!

Esse segundo volume começa alguns anos após o anterior, quando Temujin havia acabado de se anunciar como Genghis e começado a juntar as tribos em prol de um objetivo maior. Liderados por Genghis e seus homens de confiança, mais de 70.000 guerreiros mongóis atra
Mizuki
Jan 09, 2017 Mizuki rated it it was amazing
My review for the first book: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...
My review for the third book: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Thanks to the editor of the Chinese translated version of this book and all those footnotes in the text, here we can get some Mogul Empire History 101:

(1) Genghis Khan had tons of wives, not just two wives.

(2) the Chi Empire (in other translation: the Jin Empire) and the Xi Xia Empire/Tangut Empire did not share the same ancestor.

(3) there is a 'Buddhist mo
David Sven
Feb 16, 2014 David Sven rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This books starts off with Genghis completing his subjugation of the Mongol tribes under his banner before marching on his hated enemies, the Chin, and we end at the walls of Yanjing (Beijing)

There are a lot of large set piece battles this book, but most notable was the battle of Badger Mouth where the Mongols bypassed the choke point by climbing what the Chin thought were impassable peaks - especially in winter.

I think I liked Genghis coming of age story in the first book better because we got
Tim The Enchanter
An Entertaining and Bloody 4 Stars

If you don't know any of the history (and likely some mythology) surrounding the infamous Genghis Khan, I suggest you pick up these books and start reading now. While I was aware of the story of his childhood and his early years, I knew very little of his exploits as a war chieftain. While I was aware that he was successful in bringing together disparate Mongolian tribes I was unaware of the sheer ferociousness and determination of these warriors.

This volume
Paul Powers
Sep 15, 2016 Paul Powers rated it really liked it
Genghis Lords of the Bow is a fast, entertaining read. Writing a book like this must be tough. Balancing Genghis the barbarian and Genghis the family man is difficult. Iggulden does a good job of putting a human face on Genghis and the Mongols, although I think he may have gone a bit too far. These were ruthless men who devastated entire populations and cultures. They killed tens of millions in China alone, and his progeny did just as much damage when they rode their ponies west.

I did not read t
Donna
Jan 11, 2016 Donna rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book almost as much as the first one in this series. I'm not quite sure what it is about these books that I like so much, but there is something about them that grabs me and pulls me in. I knew shortly after starting it, that I would not be doing page math.

Even though this is still fiction, it feels like a glimpse into the way of life for his people. They are always portrayed as the "villain", so getting this perspective is an interesting concept. I can't wait to read the next on
Nate
Dec 10, 2014 Nate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-ages
This was my second experience with this book. The first time through put a markedly bad taste in my mouth after about a hundred and fifty pages and I gave up. I gave it a second shot recently solely because I remember liking the first book a lot and I spent like fifteen bucks on this shit. Thankfully I really liked it this time! I just had to get past the idea of hanging onto even the slightest shred of 21st century Western ideas like, oh..."killing people that are different from you is a bad th ...more
Tariq Mahmood
Mar 21, 2016 Tariq Mahmood rated it it was amazing
Fascinating insight into the mindset of the world's greatest conquerer in written history. The tribes are united under the great Khan and have moved to test their mentor against the Chin. It's raw and ruthless steppe skills pitted against the well orchestrated and structured city powers. Tough soldiers against sedate armies could only have one result. Conn has managed to present this phenomenal era of history in a very captivating manner indeed. I really enjoyed the depiction.

It does seem that
Alex
Aug 04, 2015 Alex rated it really liked it
Conn Iggulden's masterful writing skills make this book a joy to read. The author maintains as much of the historical fidelity as possible and fills in the gaps where needed. If the first book of the series covered Genghis' troubled youth, in Lords of the Bow we see a full grown leader on a warpath. Although the scenes described are often extremely violent they only attempt to give us an idea of life and death in the 13th century and they help build the image of Genghis Khan.

Marcos
Sep 25, 2015 Marcos rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A leitura foi um pouco mais arrastada do que a do primeiro. O ritmo melhora da metade pro final.
لونا
May 23, 2012 لونا rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
اقتباس "لقد أبقونا متفرقين ألف جيل يا كيشون. لقد قاموا باستغلالنا حتى لم نعد أكثر من كلاب متوحشة. ذلك هو الماضي. لقد جمعتُ الشمل، وسوف يرتعشون خوفاً. سأمنحهم سبباً لذلك" جنكيز خان

كانت الصين أو كما أُطلق عليها هنا "إمبراطورية تشن" هي الهدف الجديد "لجنكيز خان"، فبعد أن وحَّد قبائل المغول تحت راية واحدة، قادهم للانتقام من السبب الرئيسي لتشتت المغول. إمبراطورية تشن كانت المسئولة على بقاء قبائل المغول متفرقة بالرشوة ودعم التتار بكل الوسائل لإرهاب المغول. وبعد أن وحَّد "جنكيز خان" المغول وقضى على ال
Mark Halse
Dec 30, 2015 Mark Halse rated it liked it
I didn't like this book as much as it's predecessor. That's not to say that I didn't like it. It is well written and very interesting.

The first problem was that there just wasn't enough Genghis Khan in this book. The first book shifted POVs frequently and focused on other characters however whole chunks of this book barely mention ol' Temujin for chapters! Unacceptable!

My second issue was with the battle scenes. Not many people can write a good battle scene (by good I mean understandable enough
Lee Broderick
I probably didn't make it clear in my review of Wolf Of The Plains , that I felt that a large part of my enjoyment of that book derived from reading it in the steppe. In fact, I had some reservations about the quality of the writing but it just about managed to keep me engaged and the narrative afloat. So, far better then to wait until I was next in the steppe to read the second, right?

In spite of my location, this book has now joined a very small elite group of novels that I just cannot bring
Rachel
Mar 27, 2015 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: exclusives
Of all the authors I've read, I say Conn Iggulden holds the place as having the best writing style. He has nearly mastered the art of writing because he knows what to write and how to write it. (One can never master language. There's always another angle to set this complex gift of God.)
Writing is sometimes like cooking, and he knows just how much of each ingredient he should add.
The story is not weighed down with description, yet the writing is not dull. His characters are realistic and the h
Lance Greenfield
Oct 08, 2009 Lance Greenfield rated it it was amazing
The brilliant second installment of the Conqueror series

Having united the tribes into the unified nation of Mongols, Genghis Khan and his brothers lead their great army into the land of the Chin. They encounter a new type of warfare, besieging great cities with high, strong walls and massive defensive weapons.

Keeping the tribes united is a difficult task and relies upon the brains of the great khan combined with his, sometimes shocking, ruthlessness. It works.

There are many sub-adventures, and t
Terri
This book was a huge surprise for me because I really wasn't into the first book in this series (this being book 2). I can't even remember how many stars I gave the first one, but I found the story really quite boring.
This book, Lords of the Bow, was completely different. I enjoyed it start to finish. The action was thrilling and the storyline was always engaging.
In the first book of this series, Ghengis is Temugin and he is a boy for most of the book. By the end of it he starts to unite the tri
فهد الفهد
سادة البراري

الجزء الثاني من السيرة الملحمية لجنكيز خان، والذي يبدأ من حيث انتهى الجزء الأول، جنكيز يوحد المغول، ويصبح خان أعظم على الجميع، ويبدأ في تحقيق حلمه، وغزو إمبراطورية تشن – الصين -.

الرواية تعرض باحترافية عالية، كل التفاصيل التي ترتبط ببناء الأمة الجديدة، كل الخطط والمعارك الرهيبة، أفكار جنكيز ومحاولته تدعيم جيشه الجديد، بأساليب الحصار، وفتح المدن، هم الذين تعودوا على معارك السهول المفتوحة، والجياد التي لا يردها شيء، كما تتعرض الرواية، لمحاولات الاقتراب من جنكيز، واحتلال أماكن في الدول
Suha
Nov 26, 2014 Suha rated it it was amazing
سادة البراري الحزء الثاني مم سلسلة تروي قصة جنكيز خان المغولي وكيف حرق ودمر مدن في طريقه..
اعجبني ان الكاتب يذكر الحقائق التي غيرها او لم يذكرها، اما بالنسبة للاحداث القتل والحرق فكانت قاسية ،المغول شعب لم يستخدم اي شي لبناء مدينة او تعلم الطب والعلوم الاخرى!! دائما عندما اذكر المغول اتذكر وصف نهر الفرات بأنه اصبح ازرق بسبب الحبر والكتب التي ضاغت للابد مع الاسف..
سوف ابدأ بالجزء الثالث وللوقت الحالي تمت ترجمة 4 اجزاء من السلسلة والتي اسمها الفاتح ! طبعا لايستحق اسم الفاتح ابدااا..
Tanja Berg
Jul 23, 2015 Tanja Berg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rating 4* out of 5. This was really good, although it did not quite live up to the first book. Part of the reason for this is that Genghis Khan takes on a bit of super human quality and does not feel as real in this installment. Nonetheless, this is a very solid historical semi-fiction and superbly readable.
Luca Lesi
Feb 03, 2016 Luca Lesi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Le nostre vite sono come uccelli che volano davanti a una finestra illuminata per poi tornare nel buio. Ciò che importa è non causare sofferenza e difendere le creature più deboli. Solo così la nostra vita diventa un lampo di luce in grado di rischiarare le tenebre per molte vite future.
description
Molto bello anche questo secondo libro dedicato alla storia del Kan e alla creazione di uno dei più vasti imperi creati nella storia.
Avvincente, crudo a tratti, ha il pregio di unire ad una scrittura scorrevole,
Gary
Aug 25, 2008 Gary rated it it was amazing
"To drive Your Enemy Before You, and hear the lamentation of the women."

Poor China - seems they can't get a break these days. Like it's not bad enough with the "Free Tibet" crowd and the Olympic Torch fiasco, here we've got Conn Iggulden piling on, sending Genghis Khan and his fearsome horde crashing through the "Chins" walled cities and wrecking the kind of havoc made popular in John Kerry's now infamous "Jenghis" Khan testimony to Congress in post-Vietnam America.

And like it's predecessor, "
Eamonn Gormley
Jan 02, 2009 Eamonn Gormley rated it it was amazing
Part 2 in the series picks up at the end of his campaign to unite the Mongol tribes with an epic battle with an alliance of Naiman tribes who didn't want to submit to his will. They paid a heavy price.

Ghengis picks up a few useful people, like the Shaman Kochku, along the way and assimilates him into his united tribes. We get to see the logistics of the undertaking, and we start to see an insight into his initial inability to understand what a city was or what it was for. For example, there's a
Jan
Sep 18, 2016 Jan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lords of the Bow continues the story of how Temujin unites the tribes, through both trickery and strength, and introduces some new characters - Tsubodai grows in importance, as does Jelme, becoming trusted generals for Genghis.

There is also Kokchu, the shaman - in many ways the least likeable character, but very well done by Iggulden.

Overall, another good read
Courtney
I definitely did not enjoy this book as much as the previous one. I really loved the first part of Wolf of the Plains, but I found myself less drawn-in by the second part. Lords of the Bow feels more like a continuation of that second part.

I think what I loved so much, initially, about the series was the relationships between the characters. There were no battles, the number of main characters was limited, and you got to see Iggulden's skill of writing this handful of people and how they connect

Robin Kirk
Dec 24, 2014 Robin Kirk rated it it was ok
It took me about 100 pages to figure out why this book wasn't grabbing me (it's part of my annual 'Christmas pile' of books I look forward to reading after the presents and the breakfast and the clean-up). I love me a rollicking historical fiction, and I had finally utterly and completely soured on "Marco Polo." Was it after the female character had to sword fight nude? Maybe... Anyway, I nosed around on the Internet a bit to get some of the background, trying to fire myself up. So many cultures ...more
Lisa
…Or, as I like to call it, Genghis 2: Empire-Building Boogaloo, in which Genghis – you guessed it – further builds his empire having united the tribes into one vast and terrible army. With the tribes now all under his control, Genghis isn’t content to sit back and count the rancid mutton and has instead settled his sights on an old enemy of his people: The Chin. First taking Xi Xia (and one of their princesses for a second wife), Genghis shows that his people aren’t just good at annihilating the ...more
Graham
Nov 12, 2011 Graham rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical, war, asia
An excellent follow-up to WOLF OF THE PLAINS, the debut novel in this series which charts the life and times of Genghis Khan and his ancestors as they conquered half of the world. While the first book was ultimately a small-scale origin story, LORDS OF THE BOW adopts a different tone entirely: this is a war book through and through.

It isn't all massed battles, though, which some readers might be expecting. Iggulden is more nuanced than that, and his goal is to get across the strategy of warfare.
Page count is wrong. 1 30 Sep 01, 2012 09:37AM
  • Centurion (Eagle, #8)
  • King of Kings (Warrior of Rome, #2)
  • Shield of Thunder (Troy, #2)
  • The Road to Rome (Forgotten Legion Chronicles, #3)
  • The Wolf Sea (Oathsworn, #2)
  • Sharpe's Siege (Sharpe, #18)
  • Dawn Of Empire (Eskkar Saga, #1)
119121
I was born in the normal way in 1971, and vaguely remember half-pennies and sixpences. I have written for as long as I can remember: poetry, short stories and novels. It’s what I always wanted to do and read English at London University with writing in mind. I taught English for seven years and was Head of English at St. Gregory’s RC High School in London by the end of that period. I have enormous ...more
More about Conn Iggulden...

Conqueror (5 books)
  • Genghis: Birth of an Empire (Conqueror, #1)
  • Bones of the Hills (Conqueror, #3)
  • Khan: Empire of Silver (Conqueror, #4)
  • Conqueror (Conqueror, #5)

“We are from a line of khans, brother. We rule wherever we are placed.” 5 likes
“He chuckled to himself as he walked. A warm woman and a battle to come. To be alive on such a night was a wondrous thing.” 3 likes