Strange Stories, Amazing Facts

Strange Stories, Amazing Facts

4.35 of 5 stars 4.35  ·  rating details  ·  252 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Published March 17th 1975 (first published January 1st 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Strange Stories, Amazing Facts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Strange Stories, Amazing Facts

Derek
This book was on the shelf of my grandmother's house when I was a child. It may have influenced me more than any other text in or out of print, and has acquainted me with all manner of things bizarre, paranormal, and futurist.

The woman who channeled Franz Liszt's symphonies from beyond the grave, the guy who sold the Brooklyn Bridge, Spring-Heeled Jack, the Chinese Chess-Playing Automaton Hoax or hundreds of other fantastic, bite-size tales - all of these and more I have read and re-read and th...more
B
whoa nellie, is this still in print???? YAHOOO!!

This isn't the well loved, straightforward red and gold cover of the copy I had (which i think was originally my grandmother's book...) but i was TOTALLY addicted to this book as a kid!

I read and re-read many of the stories, sometimes scaring myself half to death, sometimes convinced I was actually a descendant of the Romanov family, sometimes sure I should begin my careeer as a paranormal investigator. It could not get more awesome as an 8 or 9 ye...more
Laini
My grandma had a copy of this book, and I would always pick it up when we visited. Finally, she insisted that I take it and keep it. There are so many interesting stories in here-- of science, history, social studies, disasters, and mysteries. It kept me fascinated for a long time.

And for a 15 year old girl, I could always whip out some interesting factoid on people in discussions, and hear things like "Wow! Where did you learn THAT?" Right here in this nifty encyclopedia of the weird and intri...more
Rhys
In the 70s, ghosts still existed and many of the stories of the supernatural presented here seemed, at the least, plausible. We had a copy of this on the bookshelf when I was a kid and I read it cover to cover and back again a few times. Of course, most of the stories have dated in a somewhat delightful manner -- especially the section dealing with predictions of the future, which has repeatedly failed to deliver me the comfortable life in an underwater city it promised -- but I'm not giving it...more
Eddie Fuller
This is an all-time favorite, a book I've been reading and rereading since I was a kid. I especially loved the astronomy and supernatural sections of the book, though the sections about con artists throughout the years was good as well. This book has something for everyone, and while some of the sections might be a bit dated by this point in time (notably the sections about technology), I'm sure it's a selection I'd be happy to pick up and read again and again and again and...
Nandakishore Varma
I was just randomly browsing through my books on GR when I came across this. Of course, now I know that the "facts" reported by Reader's Digest are mostly fantasy, but this book gave me an introduction to many fascinating things which I had no knowledge of: it also kindled an interest for the bizarre in me.

A nice read if you take it with a pinch of salt.
Amy
My grandfather (who found it really irritating if I called him "Grandfather", so I did it often because even as a kid I was hilarious) was into all this paranormal stuff but not openly. Like he kept all these books around but never really talked about it. He was also a Masonic Grand Master two times.

I read this repeatedly as a kid when I'd stay with my grandparents. The stories about the Devil's footprints in the snow somewhere in England stuck with me the most and kept me up late into the night...more
Deb
My favorite of the Reader Digest Books my parents amassed when I was young. When my mom 'downsized' several months ago she sent it to me because I was always reading it and it has spent the last few months on my bedside table. The book is a compilation of just what the title says--"Strange Stories and Amazing Facts." Subjects run the gamut from space and nature to science and engineering to my favorite sections of legends and unsolved mysteries, hoaxes and interesting bits of creepy history. Les...more
lyndsay ortiz
This was my grandparent's book and I would sneak away and read it whenever we visited their home. Although I was only 8 years old I quickly became hooked on the macabre stories, the creepy legends, and most of all, the scary pictures.
That was all the way back in 1982.

The book now rests here on my very own bookshelf. My grandparents were nice enough to let me have it - the very same copy I would hide away with to enter the realm of Strange Stories and Amazing Facts.

In terms of who might enjoy th...more
Kaethe
Something else that I dearly loved back in the day, and now realize is almost entirely crap. The stories are truly amazing if you don't bother to do any research.
Sherry Ford-reid
Have had this book since I was a kid. Still like to think of some of the stories as being good campfire tales.
Ams78
This was my book OBSESSION when I was a kid! I carried this thing everywhere I went. I read my favorite stories in here dozens of times. I loved the paranormal ones, historical oddities, and mysteries the best. I even bought another copy as an adult after the original was destroyed in a house fire. This book did more to boost my imagination than anything else I ever read did.
Rob
I love this book, even though 85 percent of it is outdated, and most of it is sensationally written. Anyone know of a modern version of a book like this? A compendium of ghost stories, eccentrics, hoaxes, black magic, the supernatural, cryptozoology?
France'
Man, had a blast reading this.

Very interesting.
torque
An interesting glimpse of the worldview in the 70's. Also many interesting myths, legends, inventions, persons and stories although not all true.
Seth
This is a classic. Includes hoaxes, science, history, anything that will titillate my 12 year old mind! Passed to me from my father.
Jo
Oct 19, 2007 Jo rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Shelves: nonfiction
I devoured this during my first Alaskan winter. I still remenber and anticipated the next subject covered. It is crammed with EVERYTHING.
Christina Knotts
These are certainly some strange stories. I skip over all the "ghost" stories, etc but otherwise, some good historical accounts.
Amanda
Sep 07, 2012 Amanda added it
Amazing book! I read this when I was in elementary and high school and it was originally my great grandfather's. A must-read!
Gina
Found this on a bookshelf collecting dust. Man there are some very cool/weird things in here, especially the unsolved mysteries.
Natalie
It is an amazing collection of information and stories and treasure hunts and....it's superb! I love it.
Laurie Stoll
As the book jacket says: Stories that are bizarre, unusual, odd, astonishing, and often incredible.
Lu Brito
awesome book love reading everything in the book i will read it again later
Ariana
Loved it; want it now for my own library
Allen
Sep 19, 2007 Allen rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all
A lot of great strange and amazing facts.
Kristen
Wonderful bedside book
Neil Jeffer
i just want to read
Norman Menzies
Norman Menzies marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
  • Mystic Places (Mysteries of the Unknown, #1)
  • A Soul's Calling
  • The Peripatetic Coffin and Other Stories
  • Dreaming of Wolves: Adventures in the Carpathian Mountains of Transylvania
  • Keowee Valley
  • The Ultimate Survival Manual (Outdoor Life): Urban Adventure - Wilderness Survival - Disaster Preparedness
  • A Little Bit of Everything For Dummies
  • Searching for Calamity: The Life and Times of Calamity Jane
  • 50 Big Ideas You Really Need to Know
  • The Titanic: End of a Dream
  • My Father's Keeper: Children of Nazi Leaders-- An Intimate History of Damage and Denial
  • Masters of Chaos: The Secret History of the Special Forces
  • High Road to Tibet: Travels in China, Tibet, Nepal and India
  • Harriet Tubman: The Moses of Her People
  • Unexplained!: Strange Sightings, Incredible Occurrences & Puzzling Physical Phenomena
  • The Dreamer (The Fall Series, #1)
  • Real Illusions: Stories
  • Life Unworthy of Life
The Reader's Digest Association, Inc. is a global media and direct marketing company based in Chappaqua, New York, best known for its flagship publication founded in 1922, Reader's Digest. The company's headquarters are in New York City, where it moved from Pleasantville, New York.

The company was founded by DeWitt and Lila Wallace in 1922 with the first publication of Reader's Digest magazine, but...more
More about Reader's Digest...
Back to Basics New Complete Guide to Sewing Complete guide to needlework Quotable Quotes Homemade: How-to Make Hundreds of Everyday Products Fast, Fresh, and More Naturally