Start by marking “The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (Hercule Poirot, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (Hercule Poirot, #4)

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (Hercule Poirot #4)

4.17  ·  Rating Details  ·  65,923 Ratings  ·  3,738 Reviews
In the village of King's Abbot, a widow's sudden suicide sparks rumors that she murdered her first husband, was being blackmailed, and was carrying on a secret affair with the wealthy Roger Ackroyd. The following evening, Ackroyd is murdered in his locked study--but not before receiving a letter identifying the widow's blackmailer. King's Abbot is crawling with suspects, i ...more
Published September 1st 2006 by Black Dog & Leventhal Publishers (first published June 1926)

To ask other readers questions about The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Belle Haliday
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Jennifer Oberth I would also say yes, they'll appeal to you. It's not like trying to read Shakespeare where you need a translation for every line. I just finished…moreI would also say yes, they'll appeal to you. It's not like trying to read Shakespeare where you need a translation for every line. I just finished reading 'Mousetrap' and had no problem following everything and I didn't struggle to do so. I highly recommend Agatha Christie.

And don't watch that 'Doctor Who' episode until you've read 'Murder on the Orient Express' - spoilers.(less)
And Then There Were None by Agatha ChristieMurder on the Orient Express by Agatha ChristieThe Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha ChristieDeath on the Nile by Agatha ChristieThe A.B.C. Murders by Agatha Christie
Best Agatha Christie Book
3rd out of 85 books — 857 voters
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingMy Sister's Keeper by Jodi PicoultAnd Then There Were None by Agatha ChristieHarry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. RowlingThe Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown
Best Twists
14th out of 2,297 books — 4,620 voters

More lists with this book...

Madeline
Jan 10, 2014 Madeline rated it it was amazing
I went into this book with a bit of an attitude. Roger Ackroyd is the only Agatha Christie book featured on the list of 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die, and I was skeptical about the List's claim that this was the only Christie book worth reading. But, as much as it pains me to say this, I think the List is right on this one. At least a little - I'm definitely not suggesting that you should read this book and then never pick up a Christie novel ever again, but if you find yourself in a s ...more
Sanjay Gautam
Dec 30, 2015 Sanjay Gautam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A mystery that lasts till the last page and ends with an unprecedented plot twist.

One of the favorite books that I read in 2015. Nothing much can be said about the story or plot, or anything for that matter, without dropping a major spoiler. But trust me, it's bloody clever. Agatha Christie will leave you dazzled. One of her finest.

Highly Recommended!
Ebookwormy
Jun 09, 2014 Ebookwormy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
Just finished a re-read of this classic. I remember the first time I read it, the twist at the end knocked my socks off! My second thought was: "Agatha Christie understands evil in a way that is a little frightening!"

This time through, I remembered how it turns out (which is not always the case!), and was able to watch the clues with the murderer in mind. An astonishingly masterful piece of work.

When it was first published, in 1926, this book caused quite a stir, because no one had ever used thi
mark monday
Dec 10, 2010 mark monday rated it liked it
Choose Your Own Adventure!

You are a country doctor living in a cozy English village - and your friend has been murdered! Suspects abound. Whispers and secrets and dastardly blackmail surround you. Your sister prattles on. The situation becomes increasingly aggravating and even worse, your nosy and very foreign neighbor decides to make your private business his own. His bizarre Belgian behavior soon becomes quite intolerable. Whatever is a country doctor to do?

If you decide to take a nice long tr
Bill  Kerwin
May 03, 2016 Bill Kerwin rated it really liked it

This Hercule Poirot is a genuine tour de force, for a very good reason that you completely understand as soon as you finish reading it.
Nikoleta
Feb 15, 2016 Nikoleta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, classics
Η αλήθεια είναι πως έχω συναντηθεί με την Αγκάθα Κρίστι και στο παρελθόν, αλλά μπορώ να πω, πως μόνο αυτές τις ημέρες την γνώρισα. Ο λόγος είναι ότι όταν την διάβασα στην προεφηβεία, το τελευταίο πράγμα που είχα στο μυαλό μου είναι να λύνω φόνους. Και έτσι στο πέρασμα του χρόνου την λησμόνησα και την περιφρόνησα. Όταν πριν λίγες μέρες έπεσε στα χέρια μου ένα βιβλίο της και δέχτηκα να το διαβάσω, έπαθα πλάκα. Η Κρίστι είναι σαν την ηρωίνη, έτσι και πέσεις σε ένα βιβλίο της θα θες κι άλλο. Δεν το ...more
Richard Derus
Jul 06, 2014 Richard Derus rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rating: 4* of five **THIS REVIEW IS FOR THE AGATHA CHRISTIE'S POIROT EPISODE AS WELL AS THE BOOK**

The Publisher Says: In the village of King's Abbot, a widow's sudden suicide sparks rumors that she murdered her first husband, was being blackmailed, and was carrying on a secret affair with the wealthy Roger Ackroyd. The following evening, Ackroyd is murdered in his locked study--but not before receiving a letter identifying the widow's blackmailer. King's Abbot is crawling with suspects, includin
Josu
Jul 27, 2015 Josu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-julio
Leída en dos sentadas, es una de las novelas de misterio que más me han gustado. La verdad es que no es un género que lea normalmente, pero sí que me va conquistando poco a poco, y creo que es la novela justa para hacer que me enamore del género y continúe con él durante más tiempo.

A Agatha Christie tan solo la había catado con Diez negritos, y pese a gustarme, eché en falta un final que cambiase completamente la historia. Y El asesinato de Roger Ackroyd lo ha conseguido. Cada detalle está medid
Mashael Alamri
Dec 02, 2008 Mashael Alamri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: translated
قررت ترتيب مكتبتي ( المخربطه ) فسحبت الرواية هذه وقلت في نفسي من زمان عن أغاثا كريستي (مع إني كنت مغرمه فيها ) جلست ع الأرض جنب المكتبه قلبت في الكتاب قليلاً وبعدين بديت أقراء لم أعيده إلا حينما عرفت من قتل (روجر أكرويد) فعلاً أغاثا عجيبه في الحبكات الكل متهم والكل لديه دوافع قتل التفاصيل الصغيره للجريمة تهتم بها الغوص داخل أعماق الشخصيات الحس الفكاهي اللذيذ الوصف الدقيق غير الممل للأماكن كل ذلك يجعل من روايات أغاثا كريستي أفلام على الورق :)

إستمتعت وتمنيت لو أنني أقتني باقي روايات أغاثا كريستي
Jenny
May 23, 2016 Jenny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Βγάζω το καπέλο στην Αγκάθα-ειλικρινά,δεν υπάρχει περίπτωση να βρει κανείς τον/την ένοχο/η!!Καθόμουν και κοιτούσα την παράγραφο της αποκάλυψης σαν χάνος,μέχρι που έβγαλα κι επιφώνημα έκπληξης μέσα στο τραίνο!Διάβαζα και ξαναδιάβαζα την παράγραφο.

Η ιστορία είναι καλοδουλεμένη,οι ρυθμοί γρήγοροι κι ο κύριος Πουαρό απολαυστικός!Νομίζω ότι έχω αρχίσει να διακρίνω ένα κλασικό μοτίβο στις ιστορίες που πρωταγωνιστεί,το οποίο βρίσκω πετυχημένο.Βλέπω ότι χαρακτηρίζεται ως ένα από τα δημοφιλέστερα και καλ
Ali AlShewail
سجلّوا عنى , دا من أقصر المراجعات اللى هكتبها لكن أظن إنه يوفى بالغرض و يوصل قصدى كويس أوى :

الرواية دى عبقرية و مذهلة لدرجة انها تستحق فعلا انها تكون بداية التعامل بين أجاثا كريستى و بين دار النشر اللى فضلت تنشرلها رواياتها لمدة تزيد عن خمسين سنة :)
Kat Kennedy
Jan 22, 2013 Kat Kennedy rated it really liked it
She got me! That cheeky beeotch! She got me!
Junta
Feb 23, 2016 Junta rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Junta by: And Then There Were None
I'm not very experienced in crime/mystery novels - I read them for light-hearted entertainment between general fiction (this time I needed some air after Steppenwolf). I loved And Then There Were None (link to review), my first Christie novel, last year so I bought three of her acclaimed works at the recent book fair.

The things I like about Christie's writing are:
- that it makes you feel like you're on the scene yourself
- the characterisation: even if ten characters are introduced at the start a
Ashley
Up until the ending, I really did not understand why this book is widely considered to be the best (or at least the top five) of Christie’s books. Then it happened, and I was like WHAT!?

Actually it was more like a double what, because not only was it a really daring ending, especially for being published in 1926, but I actually guessed the murderer! That has never happened to me before. I am THE WORST at guessing mystery endings. I am gullible and trusting and passive as a reader. Authors: take
Barry Pierce
Another all-round enjoyable Christie novel and the first time that I've ever guessed whodunnit! I'm getting good at these. Memorable for a twist ending that may cause kidney failure in the unknowing reader.
Brad
Sep 13, 2010 Brad rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Chris Simkulet
I love it when a mystery fulfills my desires rather than my expectations, and I have always loved the way that Agatha Christie planted clues so that the careful reader could figure out the mystery. At around page 110 I figured out who the killer was (and I have NO problem with that), but I rejected the thought because, well, it just didn't make sense with what I know about 20s' mystery writing.

Which, apparently, isn't much at all.

Agatha Christie gets much stick for being a bit of Stephen King
L.A. Starks
Oct 03, 2015 L.A. Starks rated it it was amazing
Amazing book by Christie. Glad this was on the monthly recommendation list for the mystery/thriller/suspense group.
Abbey
Ahhh, the infamous Roger Ackroyd! Christie got ENORMOUS press for her plotting in this one, and a lot of it was NOT good - loads of her regular fans were really PO'd at her for using a twist that "nice" mystery writers of the day (mid-1920s) didn't use. There was even a list of the "Don't" things for a writer including her particular hook in this book, and her flouting that convention angered many other writers (and readers) who felt she didn't "play fair". But the brouhaha really spiked her sal ...more
Chiara Pagliochini
« Prendiamo un uomo, ad esempio, un uomo comune. Un uomo che non ha alcuna idea delittuosa nel cuore. Ma in lui, nelle profondità del suo animo, c’è un punto debole, una tara morale. Questa tara non è mai affiorata e forse non affiorerà mai... »

Credevo che la mia opinione su Agatha Christie, vecchia compagna di liceo, fosse ormai consolidata, cristallizzata. La mia personale classifica piazzava nelle prime due posizioni “Dieci piccoli indiani” e “Assassinio sull’Orient Express”, capolavori indis
Branwen Sedai *of the White Ajah*
"You mock yourself at me," said Poiro,t smiling; "but never mind. The old ones they laugh last sometimes, when the young, clever ones do not laugh at all."

Whooooooo was this a whopper of a mindfuck mystery! It had me fully entranced and kept me guessing (wrongly, as usual) as to who the killer was the whole time. And what a surprise the ending was! This book is pure mystery genius. If you read just one book by Agatha Christie, make it this one!
Mela
Apr 25, 2016 Mela rated it it was amazing
Shelves: love-it
Just one more book that is so more than great. Agatha Christie is a queen of crime books and this book is one more evidence about that. My favourite books from her are ''Murder on the Orient Express'' (big proud of my paper-books collection - I must say) and The Clocks.
Also I read this book on Bosnian, because I wanted to understand book better and no, I wasn't able to figure out what happened before Poirot. Is that even possible??
Bắp Nổi Chuột
Thực tế thì vài tháng gần đây mình không mua sách của NXB Trẻ để coi như 1 sự phản đối nho nhỏ (và tất nhiên là trong vô vọng) đối với loại giấy xốp mà họ đang sử dụng để in. Đó là 1 loại giấy rất đau thương :| Nhưng cuối cùng vẫn ko kìm đc cõi lòng lúc chọn để được tặng cuốn này khi trúng giải của 1 trò review dạo linh tinh trên fb :3 Với sự thiếu kiên trung ấy thì có lẽ mình không thể làm 1 chiến sỹ cách mạng đc :))

Mình thấy nhiều người bảo truyện của Agatha cứ tẻ tẻ sao ấy, điều này có thể do
Jenna
I guessed the killer. I feel like a smarty-pants right now :P
Mel
If you've been watching my YouTube videos, or reading my status updates, you know that I've been finding this slow. I even said in my newest video today that I would rate this 4 stars because I was finding it slow. But NO WAY. Nope. The ending blew my socks off.

I honestly, for one split second near the beginning, was like "I bet this happened" but then I was like "I doubt it" and just never even thought about it again. Well holy moly did that ever happen!! Everything fits and makes sense and I j
Adita ✨The Relentless Insomniac✨
Dec 27, 2015 Adita ✨The Relentless Insomniac✨ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone who wants his reading-life to be complete.
5.1 STARS
Ka-boom. Isn't that how you usually feel after reading a masterpiece? Isn't that how you feel after reading an Agatha Christie- Hercule Poirot mystery? Isn't that how I am feeling right now, after reading my very first Agatha Christie novel? Darn' tooting, yes!!!

description

Add to it, the feel of floating in the seventh heaven..because *drumrolls* I just deciphered the cue *no spoilers to aid me- I was left to my own devices* even before the point where the rest of the world would have got an in
Katy Dickinson
Apr 30, 2008 Katy Dickinson rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
From my November 13, 2007 blog

Defending Agatha Christie

A dear friend of mine is no fan of Agatha Christie (1890-1976). He and I are both delighted by Dorothy Sayers (1893-1957) and her creation Lord Peter Wimsey. We have discussed them for many years. But the charm of Dame Agatha and her most famous detective, Hercule Poirot, eludes him. This defense is to present what I have come to like in Agatha Christie's mystery books.

My mother used to read Agatha Chr
Nada MH
Apr 27, 2015 Nada MH rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
إنها حقا مدهشة...
تمتاز قصص أغاثا بالإثارة و باحتوائها على عبرة مفادها أن الشر لابد خاسر..لكن هذه القصة هي أجمل ماكتبت أغاثا على الإطلاق برأيي المتواضع..
تمسك بيدك وتُعرّفك رويدا رويدا على سكان القرية الطيبين مشاكل بعضهم و نزوات بعضهم الآخر ..لكن آخر ما يخطر ببالك أن يُقتل فلان و هنا تبدأ رحلة البحث عن القاتل ...لكل من الشخصيات وجه مخفي ...رغبة دفينة ..ومصلحة ما قد تتحقق باختفاء هذا الشخص..أو تهديد ما قد يزول بزواله...تقنعك بأن القاتل أمامك هاهو ...وتلف حبل المشنقة حول رقبته رويدا ..رويدا ...لكنك
Manju
May 05, 2015 Manju rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Manju by: Anirudh
Ms. Christie is famous for her Hercule Poirot series. this is my third book by her and I loved it.

One of the most shocking thing about this book is of course the murderer and how the crime was planned and then executed. I never suspected that person so when it was told who the murderer was, I wondered how could I miss all the signs that were there.

The other thing that I liked in the story was a part where Poirot made everyone confess about a secret that they were trying very hard to hide from
Nandakishore Varma
Ivonne Rovira
Jul 08, 2015 Ivonne Rovira rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Forget The Labours of Hercules. Forget Death on the Nile. Forget Why Didn't They Ask Evans?. Forget The Body in the Library. Even forget Murder on the Orient Express. This is Dame Agatha Christie’s best novel. Sadly, I have to acknowledge it bests my personal favorite, 4:50 from Paddington, due to its ground-breaking twist.

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd is the novel for everyone who thinks they don’t like love Dame Agatha.
Could you really guess who did it? 86 675 May 20, 2016 07:24AM
Play Book Tag: The Murder of Roger Ackroyd 3 stars 2 15 Mar 25, 2016 10:43AM
2016 Reading Chal...: The Murder of Roger Ackroyd - Agatha Christie 4 27 Feb 22, 2016 11:11AM
Around the Year i...: The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, by Agatha Christie 1 16 Feb 05, 2016 11:47AM
Possible flaws in the murderer's plan 5 56 Jan 29, 2016 01:41AM
The Agatha Christ...: Top 10 Agatha Christie Mysteries 37 90 Dec 31, 2015 10:52AM
Do you think the ending was a cheat? 74 602 Nov 02, 2015 07:44PM
  • Murder Must Advertise  (Lord Peter Wimsey, #10)
  • The Beast Must Die (Nigel Strangeways, #4)
  • The Three Coffins (Dr. Gideon Fell, #6)
  • The Mother Hunt (Nero Wolfe #38)
  • L'aiguille creuse (Arsène Lupin, #3)
  • The Moving Toyshop (Gervase Fen, #3)
  • Death and the Dancing Footman (Roderick Alleyn, #11)
  • An Unsuitable Job for a Woman (Cordelia Gray, #1)
  • The Singing Sands (Inspector Alan Grant, #6)

More about Agatha Christie...

Hercule Poirot (1 - 10 of 42 books)
  • The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot, #1)
  • The Murder on the Links (Hercule Poirot, #2)
  • Poirot Investigates (Hercule Poirot, #3)
  • The Big Four (Hercule Poirot, #5)
  • The Mystery of the Blue Train (Hercule Poirot, #6)
  • Black Coffee (Hercule Poirot, #7)
  • Peril at End House (Hercule Poirot, #8)
  • Lord Edgware Dies (Hercule Poirot, #9)
  • Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10)
  • Three Act Tragedy (Hercule Poirot, #11)

“The truth, however ugly in itself, is always curious and beautiful to seekers after it.” 174 likes
“It is completely unimportant. That is why it is so interesting.” 95 likes