I'm Taking a Trip on My Train

I'm Taking a Trip on My Train

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  44 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Shirley Neitzel and Nancy Winslow Parker are back with what may just be their best picture-book rebus yet. After all, who can resist a ride on a train? And with words like locomotive, boxcar, tanker, tunnel, trestle, and caboose, the cumulative story invites imaginative play while building vocabulary and basic reading skills. Pure fun for young engineers.
Published March 25th 1999 by Greenwillow Books (first published January 1st 1999)

Yuri
"This book is boring." - Yuri, age 4 years, 4 months
Asho
My son liked the train pictures in this one and enjoyed pointing to the pictures within the text. I'm sure an older kid would enjoy it even more. The repetition is fun for kids but as a parent it gets old pretty quickly. Also, it was challenging for me to read because I had to remember what the heck each picture was supposed to be, which is fine for things like "cap" but more difficult when it came time to name the various train cars. Obviously, I need to get up to speed on my train parts.
Emily
Although somewhat repetitive (which is annoying for grownups but great for kids), this is a super book. Each page introduces a new image to learn that is incorporated into the story. On subsequent pages they use the image instead of the actual word so that kids can read the story too. LP LOVED telling me each word when I pointed to the images...
Ky
This is a boy's imagination coming to life before his mom comes in. This book allows you to let the children participate while you are reading. There are pictures in the sentences for the kids to name. When the mother comes in the text turns into a conversation that rhymes.
Jen
This books also doesn't end abruptly, and the last thing the mom says is funny. Some of the words are very hard. I didn't know what a Gondola was (related to Trains).
Tricia
story adds on each page a new picture/word. ends strangely...if reading aloud would probably end when the train whistle page is completed. both viv and em loved it.
Dree
My older son loved this. It's exhausting to read, but made him giggle. Cute cats to boot.
Sarah Sammis
These cumulus rebus type books are a pain to read.
Erin
Jenni
Jenni added it
Apr 18, 2014
Lori
Lori marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Arlyn
Arlyn added it
Mar 25, 2014
Tamara
Tamara marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2014
Emily
Emily added it
Nov 16, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
The Jacket I Wear in the Snow The Bag I'm Taking to Grandma's The Dress I'll Wear to the Party We're Making Breakfast for Mother I'm Not Feeling Well Today