Start by marking “I'm Taking a Trip on My Train” as Want to Read:
I'm Taking a Trip on My Train

I'm Taking a Trip on My Train

Shirley Neitzel and Nancy Winslow Parker are back with what may just be their best picture-book rebus yet. After all, who can resist a ride on a train? And with words like locomotive, boxcar, tanker, tunnel, trestle, and caboose, the cumulative story invites imaginative play while building vocabulary and basic reading skills. Pure fun for young engineers.
Published March 25th 1999 by Greenwillow Books (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about I'm Taking a Trip on My Train, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I'm Taking a Trip on My Train

Tanya
Mar 01, 2017 Tanya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
One of my all-time favorite children's books! It is a bit like "This is the House that Jack Built" in its meter. Young children have fun filling in the word for the pictures, and parents will love the ending!
Sidney
I love the books by Neitzel because the story is so well thought out and there are pictures in some of the harder words so beginning readers can still enjoy. This has pictures over different parts of the trains which is genius. The illustrations are so wonderful and even as an adult I enjoy reading these books and I am sure that children feel the same. I hope to have all or almost all of the Neitzel books in my classroom.
Asho
My son liked the train pictures in this one and enjoyed pointing to the pictures within the text. I'm sure an older kid would enjoy it even more. The repetition is fun for kids but as a parent it gets old pretty quickly. Also, it was challenging for me to read because I had to remember what the heck each picture was supposed to be, which is fine for things like "cap" but more difficult when it came time to name the various train cars. Obviously, I need to get up to speed on my train parts.
Emily
Sep 21, 2011 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-with-lp
Although somewhat repetitive (which is annoying for grownups but great for kids), this is a super book. Each page introduces a new image to learn that is incorporated into the story. On subsequent pages they use the image instead of the actual word so that kids can read the story too. LP LOVED telling me each word when I pointed to the images...
Ky
This is a boy's imagination coming to life before his mom comes in. This book allows you to let the children participate while you are reading. There are pictures in the sentences for the kids to name. When the mother comes in the text turns into a conversation that rhymes.
Sarah Sammis
These cumulus rebus type books are a pain to read.
Tricia
Jan 21, 2008 Tricia rated it liked it
story adds on each page a new picture/word. ends strangely...if reading aloud would probably end when the train whistle page is completed. both viv and em loved it.
Jen
Sep 18, 2012 Jen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pb
This books also doesn't end abruptly, and the last thing the mom says is funny. Some of the words are very hard. I didn't know what a Gondola was (related to Trains).
Yuri
Jun 04, 2014 Yuri rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
"This book is boring." - Yuri, age 4 years, 4 months
Dree
Nov 05, 2011 Dree rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
My older son loved this. It's exhausting to read, but made him giggle. Cute cats to boot.
Rachel
Review to follow soon.
Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2015
Gabe
Gabe rated it it was amazing
Mar 17, 2017
Nanny Kids
Nanny Kids rated it it was amazing
Feb 15, 2017
Kim
Kim rated it really liked it
Nov 07, 2012
Janice
Janice rated it really liked it
Jun 11, 2009
Jessica Fell
Jessica Fell rated it it was ok
Oct 12, 2012
Lily Tice
Lily Tice rated it liked it
Dec 04, 2016
Holly Boothe
Holly Boothe rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2015
Amy
Amy rated it liked it
Dec 14, 2016
Dancingdiva
Dancingdiva rated it it was amazing
Feb 27, 2017
Kim
Kim rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2010
Tiffiny
Tiffiny rated it it was amazing
Jul 08, 2012
Violet B
Violet B rated it did not like it
Jul 02, 2015
Rachael
Rachael rated it it was ok
Nov 10, 2015
David
David rated it it was amazing
Mar 17, 2017
Darby
Darby rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2010
Kathy E.
Kathy E. rated it really liked it
Jun 29, 2016
Sarah Foreman-sanford
Sarah Foreman-sanford rated it it was amazing
Dec 09, 2013
Heidi
Heidi rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2014