Start by marking “Collision Course: The Classic Story of the Collision of the Andrea Doria & the Stockholm” as Want to Read:

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  46 ratings  ·  7 reviews
How the Stockholm and the Andrea Doria met in one of history's deadliest collisions.
Published August 1st 2004 by Lyons Press (first published October 1st 1960)

To ask other readers questions about Collision Course, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Collision Course

I was just 5 years old in 1956 whem my family returned from a trip to Denmark . We had traveled on the Stockholm and much to our surprize the ship had it's collision on it's very next trip between New York and Copenhagen. I've read this book several times and it's very hard to put down once you start.
Cary Lackey
Although the first edition of this book was written only 3 years after the 1956 collision and sinking of the Andrea Doria, the book holds up very well as a riveting and detailed account of the collision itself aboard both ships, the rescues and tragedies experienced by its survivors, and the aftermath.

I especially liked the updated chapters on the salvage and scuba diving experiences on the wreck.

This is a white knuckled account, and it is just the kind of book that I love: one that's hard to p
Kater Cheek
If you're older than, say, 65, you might remember where you were when the Stockholm crashed into the Andrea Doria. I'm considerably younger than that, and had never heard of this boat crash, which apparently riveted the world in 1956. But I'm a sucker for maritime tragedies. I love seeing ordinary people turn into heroes, and I love reading about disasters I will likely never experience firsthand. (All the thrill of vicarious danger and none of the anxiety that I'm in danger of this happening to ...more
Becca Tyler
In the early sixties when I was a young teenager, we lived in a small town that barely had a library. I resorted to reading my father's Readers Digest Condensed books. One of them was Collision Course.

I've thought about it for over 50 years and finally decided to read it again. I enjoyed the second read at least as much as the first. Moscow presents the facts without speculation as to what people were thinking,etc. resulting in an interesting read.

I wish more nonfiction writers would realize t
Jan 12, 2009 Janet rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: History Buffs, Advernture Readers
Collision Course is a very detailed somewhat dry account of the tragic sea collision in 1956 between the luxurious Italian Liner Andrea Doria and the Stockholm. Illustrations and photos give this book the fourth star.
Rob Roy
The sinking of the Andra Doria was still fresh in my mind, having seen the sinking on the news.
Nautical thrilled about the collison of two ships. If you're a boat buff its for you:)
Josh marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2015
Lauren marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
Matthew Smith
Matthew Smith marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Bryan marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Harold E. Tartell
Harold E. Tartell marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Lex marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Ashwise marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
KC marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2013
Jb Baniqued
Jb Baniqued marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2013