Start by marking “The A.B.C. Murders (Hercule Poirot, #13)” as Want to Read:
The A.B.C. Murders (Hercule Poirot, #13)

The A.B.C. Murders (Hercule Poirot #13)

3.96  ·  Rating Details ·  51,122 Ratings  ·  1,853 Reviews
There's a serial killer on the loose, bent on working his way through the alphabet. And as a macabre calling card he leaves beside each victim's corpe the ABC Railway Guide open at the name of the town where the murder has taken place. Having begun with Andover, Bexhill and then Churston, there seems little chance of the murderer being caught - until he makes the crucial ...more
Published September 1st 2006 by Black Dog & Leventhal Publishers (first published January 6th 1936)

To ask other readers questions about The A.B.C. Murders, please sign up.

Gavin Abdollahi The stories have very little continuation between them, but still, there is continuation. Not reading it in order doesn't really o anything, you just…moreThe stories have very little continuation between them, but still, there is continuation. Not reading it in order doesn't really o anything, you just have to be careful of books where Poirot spoils other books.(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Brandy
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
And Then There Were None by Agatha ChristieMurder on the Orient Express by Agatha ChristieThe Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha ChristieDeath on the Nile by Agatha ChristieThe A.B.C. Murders by Agatha Christie
Best Agatha Christie Book
5th out of 88 books — 903 voters
Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha ChristieThe Complete Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan DoyleAnd Then There Were None by Agatha ChristieThe Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha ChristieThe Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle
The Best British Crime/Mystery Fiction
20th out of 949 books — 1,028 voters

More lists with this book...

Jason Koivu
Jan 17, 2014 Jason Koivu rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
Agatha Christie is such a crafty devil that midway through a novel she might have you believing that YOU are the murderer!

Indeed, The ABC Murders uses slight-of-hand most deftly. Again, I was thrown off the scent of the real killer and was ready to blame others. I feel a bit foolish when she dangles bait in front of me, and although I guess it for what it is, I take it anyway. And yet, if ever it felt good to be played the fool, it's while reading a cracking good mystery.

Ah, but never fear, Her
Valerie
May 28, 2010 Valerie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Geometry Students
Recommended to Valerie by: Grandma
Shelves: math
I try to get my math students to read mysteries, because the logical skills of finding a pattern and using inductive and deductive reasoning are often skillfully laid out. If you've read this book, you know why its one that I use to illustrate that point in my class. Sadly, the point is underappreciated by my high school students.
Shobhit Sharad
Agatha Christie is a WITCH! I don't know how but she manages to confound me EVERY TIME I read one of her books. Specially, with this one. You're going with the story, reading with a flow, building up to the climax, and then suddenly whatever you were thinking is snatched away from you, and you begin to look at the things in a way that you never thought of until now.

And to do her justice, not only was this story (and any of her others) thrilling, but it had an element of reality better than most
Amy (shoutame)
Oct 28, 2015 Amy (shoutame) rated it really liked it
Shelves: classics
Agatha Christie is quickly becoming one of my favourite authors and definitely a go-to author for when I fancy a quick pick-me-up!

This novel is the 13th book in the Hercule Poirot series, I am reading them out of order as I'm just grabbing them from my library's e-book collection when they become available - although I don't think it matters too much if you read them slightly out of order!

- This novel follows Poirot as he endeavours to solve a series of mysterious murders. After receiving an ano
Dina
Mitch
Sep 26, 2011 Mitch rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Before I begin my review, let me start off my saying I am a HUGE fan of Agatha Christie. Throughout the years I have always used her novels as "go to" books if I am in a literary dry spell and yearn to read something I am guarentee to enjoy. My girl Aggie usually hits the spot! However, sadly, I must say that "The A.B.C. Murders" is thus far my least favourite of all her books.

The following may contain spoilers:

Poirot, everyone's favourite detective, receives a mysterious letter warning him of
Alexandra
3,5-3,75 (I CAN'T DECIDE) STARS.

I'm not going to write a big review here, so don't be afraid of spoilers.

I just wanted to say that this book is really good and the whole idea of "The A.B.C. Murders" was pretty intriguing.

But the ending was disappointing (for me personally).

I was waiting for something like this (As usual, when it comes to detective stories.):  photo zomg_zpsxoq90vlt.gif

But in the end I was like: Yeah? And all this time it was BLABLABLA? That's good. Right? Nice move, Agatha. Despite the fact, that I pretty
David Schaafsma
“Who are you? You don't belong to the police?'

“I am better than the police,” said Poirot. He said it without conscious arrogance. It was, to him, a simple statement of fact.

Poirot #13 is one I had read many years ago, but am re-reading anyway, since I am not reading them all in order.

In this one Christie creates an idea followed by hundreds of others in different ways: Having a killer use the alphabet to associate with his killings--Mrs. Ascher in Andover, then Betty Barnhard in Bexhill, and so
Tracey
Feb 20, 2015 Tracey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, 4-star
What: paperback
What else: First person narrative
Wherefore: it was on Mount TBR, and my Kindle was acting up

Hastings: "I admit," I said, "that a second murder in a book often cheers things up."

Poirot has semi-retired, but has discovered he is no better suited to the state than Holmes is said to have been, and so lets it be known that he is available to take those cases that interest him (again, like Holmes). At the beginning of this tale Hastings has come home to England from his ranch in Argent
Naddy
Sep 04, 2016 Naddy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
When it comes to mysteries, murder, whodunit, Agatha Christie has no equal, I m not sure how she able to pull it always together. It is third book on my shelf from Agatha i m sure there will be more in near future too.

To catch a fox and put him in box and never let him go! That is not le sport !

description

Coming back to The ABC Murders, when i picked this book i was sure it was serial killer, when it comes to serial killer, i believe anybody will be have an idea it will be homicidal lunatic or maniac wi
Bắp
May 30, 2016 Bắp rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Trước khi 2 chương cuối cùng mở ra, cảm giác của mình là hoàn toàn không thỏa mãn :3
Tính tới thời điểm đó thì mình thấy 1 sự may mắn ngập tràn dành cho những người thuộc team phá án. Mình mong chờ việc ông Poirot sử dụng 1 chút chất xám như thường lệ, cùng với sự trợ giúp đắc lực về mặt chân tay của đội quân nhí nhố Scotland Yard, để bắt tận tay day tận trán gã nhân vật X đó. Ở đây, vào 1 ngày đẹp trời, nhân dạng và nơi chốn cư trú của gã bỗng "ngã vào vòng tay" của cảnh sát. Và cũng ở cái ngày
Grace
May 04, 2008 Grace rated it liked it
I enjoy the Poirot tales, though I often get a little impatient with the ones which are told from the first person narrative of Captain Hastings, who frequently plays Watson to the Belgian detective's Sherlock. These stories, in particular, often seem a bit too heavily padded with scenes where the two men conference - Poirot speaks very enigmatically about the case, Hastings gets frustrated, and Poirot admonishs him to "use the little grey cells." Mystery investigations are by their nature ...more
Kirstine
I got 10 of these books for my birthday, so there might be a few reviews in the foreseeable future. I grew up reading Agatha Christie, and to this day she's one of my go-to authors when I want a comfy, interesting and straight-to-the-chase book.

This one is very good. Poirot is at his best and for once directly involved in the murders, as the murderer contacts him beforehand. I had an inkling of where the story would be headed, but I hadn't figured it out before the big reveal. It will keep you
❆ Crystal ❆
Review for audiobook ~ 5 stars story 5 stars narration
I love Poirot. I've seen most of the shows and read a few of the books. I couldn't pass up this full-cast dramatization audiobook Poirot s Finest Cases Eight Full-Cast BBC Radio Dramatisations Poirot s Finest Cases Eight Full-Cast BBC Radio Dramatisations by Agatha Christie. This is the 1st of 8 and I loved it. Very well done. I can't wait to hear the rest of them.
The narration was superb with 5+ stars. It was a wonderful way to spend my time.
Joseph
Oct 08, 2016 Joseph rated it really liked it
You went to mystery-writing school girl
To learn plot and twists you never knew before
Like how to infuse your story with humanity
And create a sleuth like Poirot the fans adore
Now, now, now
Christie gonna teach you
(Teach you, teach you)
All about writing girl
(All about writing)
Sit yourself down, take a seat
All you gotta do is repeat after me

A B C
Intricate ending I di
Siddharth Chakravarthy
Jun 06, 2016 Siddharth Chakravarthy rated it really liked it
4 Stars

Hercule Poirot,the famous detective, is thinking of hanging up his boots once and for all but the devil has other plans for him.

Hercule is faced with yet another mystery to solve. But this time, he knows that it isn't going to be a stroll in the park for him.

It all starts when Hercule Poirot receives a letter from a mysterious man who goes by the name ABC, informing him about a murder which would take place soon.
Any other time, Hercule would've dismissed it for a hoax but things get s
Thomas Strömquist
Long before The Silence of the Lambs and The Bone Collector, there were odd and quirky serial killers.

Hercule Poirot encountered one in the mid-30's (just as retirement was approaching) and this murderer brought death by alphabetical order. Agatha Christie's Poirot books are most often quite entertaining and good, this one is no exception!
Stela
Definitely, Agatha Christie is one of the best. I read this book a long time ago (in my teenage years, I think) and although I had a vague recollection of the plot, the narrative seemed to contradict my memories until the very last pages.

Furthermore, it was so relaxing a reading that I'm looking forward to the next one on my shelf (i've decided to read three or four Christie in a row). Maybe after finishing them I will write a more extensive (and synthetic) review.
Farzane
May 03, 2016 Farzane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
داستان قتل های سریالی ک بر اساس حروف الفبا جلو میروند و با گذاشتن یک دفترچه ی قطار از نوع "ا ب س " ک نوعی مارکدار کردن است در حال وقوع اند .
پوآرو مثل همیشه با زیرکی قاتل را ک برادر مقتول سوم است تشخیص میدهد . این قاتل شخصی مستعصل و دارای صرع را ک زیاد ب خودش مطمدن نیست را طعمه ای برای قاتل بودن قرار میدهد ...
Cata
Dec 07, 2012 Cata rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: emprestados, 2012
3,5 estrelas

Penso que por esta altura não é segredo que sou uma grande fã de Agatha Christie, apesar de gostar mais de alguns livros do que de outros [o que é absolutamente normal].

Dito isto, Os Crimes do ABC apresenta uma sinopse extremamente sedutora. Aliado à sinopse, existe uma frase logo no Prefácio que conseguiu captar a minha atenção:
”Quanto à resolução do mistério do ABC, só posso dizer que, na minha opinião, Poirot se revelou um verdadeiro génio no modo como lidou com um problema compl
Hengameh
Jul 14, 2015 Hengameh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
خیلی جنایت پیشرفته تری بود به نظرم نسبت به کل سری های دیگه ی پوآرو که از کتابا خوندم یا فیلماشو دیدم.بعد از قتل توی قطار سریع السیر این دومین داستانیه که با اختلاف از بقیه سر تر بود.

خوبی کتابای آگاتا کریستی اینه که آدم میشینه یه دفعه 200-300 صفحه میخونه تموم میشه کتاب. با اعصاب هم بازی نمی کنه خدا روشکر
Penélope
Sep 05, 2016 Penélope rated it did not like it
“Words, madmoiselle, are only the outer clothing of ideas.”
― Agatha Christie, The A.B.C. Murders
Medhat
Nov 05, 2015 Medhat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Remarkably, this is one of my favorite Hercule Poirot and Whodunit books!
Reem Alhalboni
أعتقد أن هذه الرواية من أمتع ما قرأت!
Meredith
Oct 05, 2016 Meredith rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
Another great mystery solved by Hercule Poirot! The story kept me interested and listening to the audiobook made doing chores a whole lot more bearable! I'm definitely looking forward to listening to more of Christie's works as audiobooks, maybe I'll try a Miss Marple next...
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Sep 08, 2013 Lisa (Harmonybites) rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Mystery Fans
I recently read a biography of Agatha Christie and it gave me a hankering to read one of hers I had never tried. I've heard The A. B. C. Murders called one of her best, so I thought I'd give it a shot. I thoroughly enjoyed myself from beginning to end, and goodness this was a fast read--just a few hours. It's a short novel, and Christie is very dialogue heavy and undemanding, so her books zip right along. I was amused early on by the little jokes about the detective novel in the repartee between ...more
El
Jul 13, 2010 El rated it liked it
Anytime someone talks to me about Agatha Christie lately, I find myself heaving a big sigh. By all accounts I should be all over this lady, I should be ripping through her mysteries like no one's bidness. But so far each of the books I've read feel interchangeable and if you were to ask me the plot of one over another I'd probably tactfully change the topic. Or say, "Look, a deer!" and run the other direction.

I'm not discounting what Christie has done for detective fiction, or what she has done
Haiiro
Mar 13, 2016 Haiiro rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hình như có lần tôi nghe loáng thoáng đâu đó là Agatha Christie không mấy ưa Conan Doyle (?) thì đọc cuốn này được chứng kiến một màn mỉa mai hơi bị thẳng thừng của thám tử béo Poirot nhắm vào người tình trong mơ của nhiều thiếu nữ - ngài Holmes trứ danh. Agatha Christie đúng là một quý bà hài hước.

Và không kém phần sắc sảo. Tôi phải thừa nhận thế. Những câu văn của bà dù cũng có đôi chút nữ tính, song nét trung tính có vẻ chiếm phần nhiều. Nếu không được ám thị trước rằng tác giả là một phụ nữ,
Chris
Sep 26, 2012 Chris rated it it was amazing
Hercule Poirot is not having fun at this party.

Our favorite little Belgian detective's little gray cells are most offended by the actions of the ABC killer. Why? Because this is, to use his term, a "public" murder. Messr. Poirot is much more comfortable with "personal" murders where there the deed is done to act out one of those common (and personal between the killer and victim) human emotions like greed, lust, jealousy, desire for revenge, or a quest for power---but usually cash is king. In M
Vishakha Motwani
Feb 06, 2016 Vishakha Motwani rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: crime-mystery fans
Shelves: 2015
My first Agatha Christie novel and I'm looking forward to read more of her books. I just find the chapters that are not from Hastings Narrative a bit confusing and sometimes I felt there were too many characters to keep track of, I had to pause briefly to remember who he/she was.

But eventually I got a hang of it, I like books with unexpected yet good endings, I'm glad I read the book, because until the end I was pretty sure the way it is going to end but.....

I like it overall and I would love to
http://trexmusclesite.com/megadrol-testosterone-booster/ 1 2 Nov 21, 2016 10:51PM
Monthly Reads: The ABC Murders 2 4 Nov 16, 2016 08:42PM
http://www.tophealthbuy.com/iron-bull-edge/ 1 2 Nov 14, 2016 10:56PM
Crime and mystery 9 20 Oct 25, 2016 05:35PM
Around the Year i...: The A.B.C. Murders, by Agatha Christie 3 18 Oct 11, 2016 03:35PM
Agatha Christie L...: September 2012 - The A.B.C. Murders 41 124 Jul 04, 2016 11:34AM
  • Death in Ecstasy (Roderick Alleyn, #4)
  • The Golden Spiders (Nero Wolfe, #22)
  • Clouds of Witness (Lord Peter Wimsey Mysteries, #2)
  • Behold, Here's Poison (Inspector Hannasyde, #2)

More about Agatha Christie...

Hercule Poirot (1 - 10 of 39 books)
  • The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot, #1)
  • The Murder on the Links (Hercule Poirot, #2)
  • Poirot Investigates (Hercule Poirot, #3)
  • The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (Hercule Poirot, #4)
  • The Big Four (Hercule Poirot, #5)
  • The Mystery of the Blue Train (Hercule Poirot, #6)
  • Black Coffee (Hercule Poirot, #7)
  • Peril at End House (Hercule Poirot, #8)
  • Lord Edgware Dies (Hercule Poirot, #9)
  • Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10)

“Words, madmoiselle, are only the outer clothing of ideas.” 146 likes
“It's like all those quiet people, when they do lose their tempers they lose them with a vengeance.” 112 likes