Start by marking “Don't Go Where I Can't Follow” as Want to Read:
Don't Go Where I Can't Follow

Don't Go Where I Can't Follow

Don't Go Where I Can't Follow is a tender collection of letters, photographs, and drawings Anders Nilsen has compiled in memory of his fiancee, Cheryl Weaver, who died of cancer in November 2005. It is an appreciation of the time they shared together, and a heartbreaking account of the progression of her illness. Including early love notes, simple and poetic postcards, ta
Published January 15th 2007 by Drawn and Quarterly

To ask other readers questions about Don't Go Where I Can't Follow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Go Where I Can't Follow

Melissa
Jul 27, 2013 Melissa rated it liked it
I thought I had a lot to say about this, but I'm going to table any attempt at a review & go hug my husband.
Lauren
Feb 09, 2013 Lauren rated it it was amazing
There is so much I want to say about this book and yet I don’t think I can quite put it into words. I absolutely LOVE it. When I first saw it at our local bookstore, I flipped through it a few times, thinking, “Hmm. Looks interesting, and kind of a cute love story.” Went back in today and decided to buy it. As I chatted with Skylar (bookstore employee) about why I was buying it, I referenced my friends/family that have been impacted by cancer; I thought Nilsen’s approach would be a unique way to ...more
Jimmy Mcnulty
Jul 13, 2015 Jimmy Mcnulty rated it it was amazing
How do you write a review about a book like this? Anders shares with us a few key memories about the love of his life, Cheryl Weaver.

If I have one valid criticism, I suppose it's that I wish the book was longer. But I figure it's rude to even ask for that-- he's let us pry into this private part of his life for long enough. This book, in its sparseness, makes you want to meet her, want to know her as he does, so perhaps this criticism is also a strength.

Possibly written as a tribute to her, to
David Schaafsma
All of Nilsen's work that I have read besides this work (Dogs and Water, Big Questions, Monologues on the Coming Plague) seems philosophical, deliberately spare, ironic, Becket-like, stripped down emotionally and technically. Controlled, in a certain way. Not personal in any obvious sense. Maybe some people might see the work as flippant, as obviously anti-aesthetic, anti-Art School pretension. I find a kind of shyness, tenderness, vulnerability, humor in it. More philosophical than personal or ...more
Erene
Jan 04, 2013 Erene rated it it was amazing
This book is a collection of photographs, letters, journal entries, drawings and ticket stubs — the catalog of someone else’s memories, archived so you can (kind of voyeuristically) look into the writer’s material life. If this is the kind of thing you collect in your own day-to-day, you'll probably like this.

The book is short, and I got through it in about an hour. But there were so many details I liked that made me linger. I liked the collecting of tickets, and the compiling of lists, and the
Jeff
Nov 11, 2011 Jeff rated it liked it
I'm rapidly becoming a big fan of Anders Nilsen's work, and Don't Go Where I Can't Follow has got to be the cornerstone piece of his career to date. While this is a short work, easily read in an hour or so, it is deeply affecting, and personal and powerful to an astonishing degree. [return][return]My only real disappointment with this work is the dearth of information about Cheryl Weaver, Nilsen's late fiance, and the subject of this book. Although we get to know Cheryl from a variety of differe ...more
Raina
Made me cry, of course.

It's a beautifully designed book, and the story is inevitably heart-breaking.

It chronicles the relationship of the author with his significant other, who died while they were still engaged*.

Letters chronicling their travels, photographs of their adventures, drawings of her in the hospital, postcards from one to the other. It's a bit of a mishmash, a jumble, a potpourri of memories. There's a beauty in the mixed-bag feeling.

I never got the sense of who either of these peop
Esther
Sep 13, 2013 Esther rated it really liked it
Very poignant and interesting. Ran a huge interview with the author in The Guardian which was really interesting and made me seek this out at the library. Its a mixture of comic strip, scrapbook and photos about his girlfriend who died of cancer. Originally meant to be a small private publication for her friends and family, he then decided to publish it.
One point, asking in the library where the 'adult graphic novel' section is (not one I frequent or even knew existed before last week) felt like
Nic
Dec 18, 2008 Nic rated it it was amazing
This is one of the most honest and heart-breaking memoirs of love that I have ever read. Period. I should have bought it the first time I saw it at Quimby's in Chicago, and sadly it is now out of print. I actually cried in the book store as I read it. Is it better to have loved and lost? Anders Nilsen makes me think YES.

... but you don't have to take my word for it.
Alexandria Godina
Oct 23, 2011 Alexandria Godina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult
Wow- that was hard to read but impossible to put down. The artwork is beautiful, the sentiment tugs your heart out. Well done. I can't imagine a better tribute.
Brandon  Barrett
May 16, 2009 Brandon Barrett rated it it was amazing

Gut wrenching, painful, incredible. I cannot overemphazise the simple beauty of this book, and wouldn't want to. Read when you're in a healthy and balanced frame of mind.
Jessica
Jul 12, 2016 Jessica rated it really liked it
A collection of drawings, comics, letters, and journal entries compiled by Anders Nilsen in memory of his fiancée, Cheryl Weaver, after her death of cancer in November 2005. It opens with some postcards sent to each other and funny memories of time they spent together. As the book continues, Cheryl gets sick and deteriorates, while Nilsen continues doing what he does best - draw and write. It ends with an account of her memorial service.

Obviously this book is kind of depressing. It does honor h
Fuzzy Gerdes
Aug 30, 2007 Fuzzy Gerdes rated it it was amazing
Don't Go Where I Can't Follow is a spare and affecting work from Chicago comic book writer and artist Anders Nilsen. It's snapshots of his relationship with his girlfriend Cheryl Weaver, culminating in her sudden illness and death in the winter of 2005. By no means an exhaustive memoir of their life together, instead we get illustrative moments -- postcards they sent each other, a letter to his sister detailing a comically disastrous camping trip, a short list of Anders' faults as a fiancee. An ...more
Katie
Aug 17, 2014 Katie rated it liked it
I'm sure this is a nice memorial for readers who knew the couple personally. The comic about the ashes is lovely, as are a few of the postcards. I was intrigued by the mix of letters, postcards, photos, and comics; I appreciated that there wasn't heavy foreshadowing or narrative hand-holding. That said, it didn't feel like all the right moments had been chosen to show us these people or make an arc. It doesn't hold together, for me, as a book for the rest of us.

Perhaps the theme does some work
Emilia P
Apr 21, 2010 Emilia P rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-books, churrrch
So I have been avoiding this for probably years because of its mixed-media aesthetic -- photos, pages and pages of text, random drawings in random places. But um, it took me like maybe 2 hours to read, and that is pushing it, and it gave me the chills - its the sparse and yet deeply heartfelt story of love and death and the little details of it that make it more beautiful and tragic along the way.

My verdict's still out on Nilsen because he is often so dark and existential and sparse, but when h
Alexander
Dec 25, 2007 Alexander rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphicnovels
I found this at Newbury Comics on the bottom shelf, looking as if someone had dropped it there. Anders Nilsen is one of my favorite artist/writers, so I reached for it, thinking I would first glance inside and then buy it and leave. Instead, I read the entire thing in the store, stunned. I wept and then brought it to the register, bought it and left with it.

It's not like any of his other work. It's partly about his growth as an artist, partly about his fiancé and their travels, and then how he
Emily
Sep 16, 2016 Emily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really didn't expect much out of this book when I picked it up. I grabbed it in the library in the adult graphic novel section because I liked the title. As soon as I dove in I loved they were in my hometown of Chicago and was pleasantly surprised to find myself laughing and relating to some of the travel disasters. I was enjoying it so much I wasn't prepared for it to take me somewhere else entirely. It was powerful. It was moving. And it was beautiful. All in such a short amount of pages. I ...more
Audrajung
Mar 24, 2010 Audrajung rated it really liked it
The Walker Library in Minneapolis is one of my favorite places to find graphic novels I never would have been so lucky to stumble upon. I picked this up and immediately went to a coffee shop and read it in its entirety laughing and falling in love along the way and ultimately having to face how fleeting and temporary the human experience is despite what you want to cling to. I cried a lot, it was beautiful. One of my favorites now.
Richard
Dec 17, 2012 Richard rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
A beautiful tribute. It is a bit short, but I think that also speaks to how few real raw recordings any of us has of our relationships with one another. I suppose there are more types of media nowadays where this type of interaction is recorded (ie. Facebook, twitter, Instagram, text message, etc) than there was commonly used when Nilsen put this together. Anyway, that's neither here nor there. I thought the publication was amazing and highly recommend it.
Olavia Kite
Sep 06, 2016 Olavia Kite rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Love and loss in its purest, rawest form.
Artnoose Noose
Jan 21, 2008 Artnoose Noose rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who's ever loved and/or lost
A beautiful glimpse into the mind of an artist as his fiancee goes through her final months struggling with cancer. At the same time, a monument to her honor. I cried when I read this and asked the love of my life what would happen if one of us died. He replied by putting on a song called "What's Gonna Happen If One of Us Dies."
Kean Soo
Mar 27, 2012 Kean Soo rated it it was amazing
An absolutely heartbreaking account of love and loss.

The final chapter is a phenomenal feat of cartooning, with its wide, distancing shots, and the intimate, conversational tone of the writing -- it's only 8 pages of comics, but it gets me every single time.

It's understandable why this book has lapsed out of print, but I do wish it wasn't. I want everyone to read this.
Robin
Jul 07, 2009 Robin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2009
A beautiful tribute by comic book artist Anders Nilsen to a partner who passed away. Original, poignant and refreshing on a subject that could be perceived as common and predictable, Nilsen offers a sincere portrait. This is the best work I've read all year, and was well worth special-ordering from the library.
Mathew
Dec 30, 2007 Mathew rated it really liked it
A great, small book. All the write-ups that recommend this book do too much to recommend it. It was a great read, but I wish I dicsovered this book accidentally or had a friend push it on me without knowing anything about it instead of reading reviews about it (for the most part, the reviews are longer than to book, btw).
Sylvia
I put some stars up and then I felt that putting a star rating on this book would be inappropriate. I just want to say that I read this book/ comic/ memoir about the author's relationship with his partner, and it was really touching and emotional and raw, and I'm glad that he decided to do a second printing.
Kerry
Dec 26, 2013 Kerry rated it really liked it
Kristen
Dec 31, 2012 Kristen rated it it was amazing
Honest and raw and real and beautiful. And utterly heartbreaking. An outstanding tribute to a person, a relationship, a series of moments in time. Made even more poignant for me personally by the Chicago setting. Thank you to Anders Nilsen for sharing this with us.
Brenna Sydel
Oct 22, 2013 Brenna Sydel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel
This was one of the most heartbreaking, beautiful, touching, moving, and all around well done books I have had the great privilege of reading. Have you ever read something and realized you would never be the same afterwards? Yeah. This book.
Nathan
Mar 14, 2011 Nathan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wishlist
One of the most heartbreaking works I have ever read. It still jerks my stomach around when I think about it. I had some money troubles a while back and I had to sell it because it was rare and fetching fifty bucks at the time. I still regret not just selling my pinkie-toe instead.
Stasia
Dec 03, 2013 Stasia rated it liked it
Shelves: 07-graphic-novel
This is a sweet and sad story about a fellow's relationship with a woman who ultimately dies (don't worry, that doesn't give it away;). My only complaint is that it seems so short, like read-it-in-an-hour short and almost don't-really-get-a-sense-of-characters short, too.
  • The Story of My Tits
  • Over Easy
  • Nine Ways to Disappear
  • Susceptible
  • Hey Princess
Anders Nilsen (born 1973) is a popular artist and graphic novelist who grew up in Minneapolis and lives in Chicago, IL.

He works on an ongoing comic series, Big Questions (Drawn and Quarterly), which has been nominated several times for the Ignatz Award. In addition, his comics have appeared in the anthologies Kramers Ergot[1] and Mome.[2] His graphic novel Dogs and Water won an Ignatz Award in 200
More about Anders Nilsen...