Start by marking “Going Somewhere Soon: Collected Stories & Drawings: 3” as Want to Read:
Going Somewhere Soon: Collected Stories & Drawings: 3

Going Somewhere Soon: Collected Stories & Drawings: 3

4.50  ·  Rating Details  ·  212 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
The third book in the series was completed in Iowa. It features some of Brian's most resonant stories including Illusion of Control & Butterflies.
Published March 1st 2000 by Storypeople (first published March 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Going Somewhere Soon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Going Somewhere Soon

Ellen
Feb 03, 2009 Ellen rated it really liked it
"There are times I think I'm doing things on principle, but mostly I just do what feels good. But that's a principle, too."
Karli
Oct 22, 2012 Karli rated it it was amazing
"These are little packets of light & you need to plant them early in the year & remember to mark where they were because lots of times they look like weeds in the beginning & it's not until later that you see how beautiful they really are." And that is why this book is amazing.

And this: "I moved a lot when I was young & I still ache a bit at the thought of all those autumns in new & unfamiliar landscapes."

Read this book in autumn. It will make you feel warm and snug in the cr
Kristin
Jun 30, 2013 Kristin rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
Read this in order: Mostly True, then Still Mostly True, then this one (Going Somewhere Soon). I think this is the weakest of the three. None of the stories particularly stood out to me in the way that some remarkable ones from Mostly True and Still Mostly True did. Maybe I've just read too much Brian Andreas over the weekend and I've become desensitized to his style, but I think the other books are stronger.
Susan Fetterer
Aug 12, 2011 Susan Fetterer rated it it was amazing
Charming poetic anecdotes and magical illustrations---this quick read lingers in your head for some time. It has child like qualities and panders to the short attention span we all enjoy at times. There's a universal, appealing aspect to the thoughts reminding the reader that we each have much in common with others.
Karyn
Aug 06, 2008 Karyn rated it really liked it
Recommended to Karyn by: Andrea
Shelves: artsy-fartsy
I've been in love with Story People since I was in high school, when I first saw some of Andreas' sculptures and drawings at an art store in Newport. Andrea gave me this book as a college graduation/moving away to Colorado present. It's among my prized possessions.
Woodge
Dec 31, 2010 Woodge rated it liked it
Got this slim volume as a gift this past Christmas. It contains some very short pieces and doodles which are sort of like thoughtful little musings and mini-stories. Reminded me a little of Barry Yourgrau but more grounded in reality. It was cute.
Randy
Jul 12, 2011 Randy rated it it was amazing
This was the second book of this set I read and really enjoyed them. Mostly True was the best so far but this one had some great one page stories as well. I borrowed these books and glad I found them.
Leonard
Feb 23, 2010 Leonard rated it really liked it
Unique, inspiring, and humorous collection of brief (one page or less) prose observations or memories.
Shanna
Aug 21, 2007 Shanna rated it really liked it
I stole this from my stepmom in the 7th grade.
Just glancing at it still makes me ridiculously happy.
Jackie
May 24, 2008 Jackie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
read it, read it, read it!
Jacqueline Cocklin
Aug 16, 2012 Jacqueline Cocklin rated it really liked it
Love it!
Pepper
Pepper marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Lyndon Taylor
Lyndon Taylor marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Erin Bunge
Erin Bunge rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2016
Lexie Gardner
Lexie Gardner rated it really liked it
Apr 06, 2016
Christa Cohen
Christa Cohen marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2016
Wayne Foco
Wayne Foco marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
Jamie Kern
Jamie Kern marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2016
Kait
Kait added it
Mar 18, 2016
Jayme Williams
Jayme Williams marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2016
Jessica Morris
Jessica Morris rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2016
Nicole Francesca
Nicole Francesca rated it it was amazing
Jan 22, 2016
Peg Schuler-Armstrong
Peg Schuler-Armstrong rated it it was amazing
Jan 10, 2016
Ember
Ember added it
Dec 26, 2015
Sanskriti Tiwari
Sanskriti Tiwari marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2015
Erin Kartheiser
Erin Kartheiser marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2015
Ashley McFarland
Ashley McFarland rated it it was amazing
Oct 17, 2015
  • A Softer World: Second Best Isn't So Bad
  • The Hell with Love: Poems to Mend a Broken Heart
  • Ten Poems to Set You Free
  • Creating Mandalas
  • The Slightly Irregular Fire Engine
  • Spring Essence: The Poetry of Hô Xuân Huong
  • Negative Blue: Selected Later Poems
  • Crafty Superstar: Make Crafts on the Side, Earn Extra Cash, and Basically Have It All
  • Lawrence Booth's Book of Visions
  • Flash of the Spirit: African & Afro-American Art & Philosophy
  • The 72 Names of God: Technology for the Soul
  • Art Journals and Creative Healing: Restoring the Spirit Through Self-Expression
  • In a Time of Violence: Poems
  • Altered Books Workshop: 18 Creative Techniques for Self-Expression
  • The Selected Poems, 1968-1995
  • Brave on the Rocks: If You Don't Go, You Don't See
  • Great American Prose Poems: From Poe to the Present
  • Practical Gods
Brian Andreas (born 1956 in Iowa City, Iowa) is an American writer, painter, sculptor and publisher. Most notable of his works are the StoryPeople objects he makes using salvaged wood from old rural homesteads. These mixed-media works include a short story that focuses on a moment or a memory, and the deliberately crude folk-art-like shapes display bright yet soothing colors and shadowy amorphous ...more
More about Brian Andreas...