Start by marking “Witness for the Prosecution and Selected Plays” as Want to Read:
Witness for the Prosecution and Selected Plays

Witness for the Prosecution and Selected Plays

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  3,141 ratings  ·  46 reviews
* Witness for the Prosecution
* Towards Zero
* Verdict
* Go Back for Murder

Witness for the Prosecution, Agatha Christie's highly successful and award-winning stage thriller, opened in 1953 to spectacular reviews. It went on to become an acclaimed feature film, nominated for six Academy Awards. This special 50th anniversary edition comes complete with three other mysteries, de
Published October 7th 1995 by HarperCollins Publishers Ltd (first published 1954)

To ask other readers questions about Witness for the Prosecution and Selected Plays, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Witness for the Prosecution and Selected Plays

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonAnd Then There Were None by Agatha ChristieAngels & Demons by Dan BrownRebecca by Daphne du MaurierIn Cold Blood by Truman Capote
Best Crime & Mystery Books
79th out of 4,468 books — 10,252 voters
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingMy Sister's Keeper by Jodi PicoultAnd Then There Were None by Agatha ChristieHarry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. RowlingThe Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown
Best Twists
120th out of 1,703 books — 3,867 voters

More lists with this book...

Diwita
Sort of has SPOILERS.

SO, the collection I picked up had:
1. Witness for the Prosecution
2. Towards Zero
3. Verdict
4. Go back for Murder

I thoroughly enjoyed this! It is such an amazing script!
Witness for the Prosecution, is the best, hands down! The sheer brilliance and ingenuity behind it! Agatha Christie left me as spellbound as Sir Wilfrid!

I enjoyed the concept behind towards zero a lot! The idea that a murder is a culmination of events and actions is presented in a very neat fashion.

The Verdict
Rebecca
This is my favorite Agatha. And yes, I've actually read them all! (Even read a few in French.) While many of her mysteries are formulaic and sometimes even poorly edited (especially her later books), this one is solid, fascinating, and strong throughout. I highly recommend it!
Katie
This is one of the most confusing Agatha Christie books I've ever read. There are so many different angles that I didn't completely understand the story until the last paragraph.
Melvyn Foo
Oh. My. Gawd. Brilliant, as always. Reading the last page left me deliciously chilled. Agatha Christie's plots are too superior.
Tali
Out of the four plays in this collection, three of them, Witness for the Prosecution, Towards Zero and Go Back for Murder, I had already read either in short story or novel format. I have to say that while I liked how Witness for the Prosecution would've been staged as a play, the other two I preferred in the more detailed and intricate novel format, although it was interesting to see how one of my favourites of Christie's, Towards Zero, would've been adjusted to be staged in a theatre. The play ...more
Chuck
Tricia
I primarily got this book from the library because I didn't realise one of the story collections I had contained Witness for the Prosecution and I wanted to read it before I read Agatha Christie's Secret Notebooks. But it winds up I read Witness in the recent short story collection, and I got to read it in play format in this volume. The play is quite different than the short story, with the focus from the mystery to become more of a courtroom drama for the theatre production. Still a powerful s ...more
Beetle13
"Witness For The Prosecution" is an Agatha Christie short story collection, first published in 1948. The edition I have contains ten of the short stories - "Accident", "The Fourth Man", "The Mystery of the Blue Jar", "Witness For The Prosecution", "SOS", "The Red Signal", "Philomel Cottage", "Sing A Song Of Sixpence", "Wireless", and "The Second Gong" - an early version of the Hercule Poirot mystery, "Dead Man's Mirror". Most of them are crime stories with a slight touch of supernatural, and eac ...more
Kaethe
Lots of fine twists to the spaghetti. Christie is particularly well served by the short form/script because of her focus on plot. I think I read the play first, then the story for comparison.

Library copies
Bausertron
This is getting a little too "2 minute mystery"-ish for me right now. Gonna go back to novel-ing it up for a while, but will keep this on my night stand.

Huh, just realized this is a short story. Sure enough it says 'and other stories' right there on the cover. I guess I am none too observant. I was a little confused as to why they were giving away all the plot lines in the "first chapter." Well the fact that it was originally a 24 page short story makes me all the more impressed with the movie!

I
Sudipto De sarkar
And it is just a play! The details are a bit involving at the beginning but with a purpose. The climax is superb!
Lisa
Opinion is definitely influenced by seeing the play performed live.
Sara
Again, I wrestle with putting Agatha Christie mysteries on the stage. It works for me on film, (essentially adaptations), but I think Christie's best work is in novel format. This play mostly takes place in a courtroom pondering the murder of Emily Jane French, with Leonard Vole as the main suspect. The play moves slowly, but there are some interesting characters. 18 men, 4 Women, various barristers and jurors.
Danielle
I read each of these plays with delight. Christie has long been a favorite of mine and I had the pleasure to direct The Mousetrap at West Orange High School in 1991, 92? The twists and turns are so much fun and although I can frequently figure them out, having read pretty much all of the 80+ books Christie wrote, it's still fun to see where she is taking it every step of the way.
Meredith
The edition I read was only Witness for the Prosecution. A very good and suspenseful play. Though over the last 60 years the material has been referenced in popular culture, so you may be able to see the end coming, it still leaves you guessing and impresses itself as being very inventive and cutting edge.
Fehr
Jul 26, 2008 Fehr rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Fehr by: mi abuela
Desarrollé gradualmente un gusto por Agatha Cristie a lo largo del libro. Siempre recae el interés de la lectura en el final cercano. Son nueve cuentos que siempre dejan una duda del victimario y su móvil. La traducción de selecciones de biblioteca oro no era tan buena.
Jim Hager
After seeing Witness for the Prosecution on stage, I was surprised to see that it is a short story. The stage play has even more twists to it
Amy
It's Agatha, so the mysteries are good, but being that they were so short, I felt disappointed when there wasn't more to the story (or in this case, stories). I did like there was a supernatural/paranormal bend to the last story.
Fredrick Danysh
The victim in a bizarre locked-room murder had enlisted the services of Herecules Proitot. Included are several other short stories. A good mystery read.
Melissa
I didn't realize this was a collection of short stories when I picked it up. Some were good, others okay. I'm not a big short story fan to begin with.
Yanni
It bored me, because I read too many Chrisite's short stories anthology and it was muddled up, like some story mixed with another.
Ann
This one really redeemed Christie for me. Fantastic story with a chilling surprise twist at the end. I love courtroom drama.
Chrisshepard12
This was really a good one...and the movie was just as good....produced late 40's or early 50's....a Hitchcock.
Karl-Friedrich Lenz
One of my favorites from Christie.

This is a story with a punch line at the end. And most readers will be surprised.
Syamala
Stunning plays that won six Academy Award! This plays deserves more than that.The best book I have ever read!
TheRose
Some of the stories were rather ho-hum, but a few were gems. The title story was fantastic, though!
Lili
Another collection of plays none as successful as the Mousetrap but all worth reading.
Victor
Genius story. Is not who you think? :-). Great, enjoyable shot story.
Celeste
One of my favorite Christie's along with Murder on the Orient Express.
Meghan
  • Who Killed Roger Ackroyd?: The Mystery Behind the Agatha Christie Mystery
  • Unfinished Portrait: A Novel of Romance and Suspense.
  • Agatha Christie: A Biography
  • A Wreath for Rivera (Roderick Alleyn, #15)
  • Agatha Christie
  • The Floating Admiral
  • Feluda Stories
  • The Pirates of Penzance
  • Agatha Christie
  • Deathtrap
  • The Documents in the Case
  • Pearls Before Swine (Albert Campion Mystery #12)
  • Younguncle Comes to Town
  • Innocent Blood

Agatha Mary Clarissa Miller was born in Torquay, Devon, England, U.K., as the youngest of three. The Millers had two other children: Margaret Frary Miller (1879–1950), called Madge, who was eleven years Agatha's senior, and Louis Montant Miller (1880
More about Agatha Christie...
And Then There Were None Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10) The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot #1) Murder at the Vicarage (Miss Marple, #1) Death on the Nile (Hercule Poirot, #17)