Start by marking “The Good Liar” as Want to Read:
The Good Liar

The Good Liar

Kate Livingston and Liza Kingsley have been best friends since their childhood in the suburbs of Chicago. They know everything about each other. Or do they?When Liza sets up the newly divorced Kate with Michael Waller, an elegant man sixteen years her senior, neither woman expects Kate to fall for him so soon. The relationship is a whirlwind that enthralls Kate…and frighte ...more
Published December 19th 2007 by Mira (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Good Liar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Good Liar

Jane Stewart
First 300 pages were almost tedious, a lot of back story and jumping around. The last 100 pages were excellent.

I first read this in 2009. The ending was so good that I gave it 5 stars. A few years later I started to reread it and was bored. I quit at 124 pages. So now in 2017 I thought I’ll give it one more try and reread the whole thing. Below is my revised thinking.

An private organization (the Trust) acts like the CIA. They gather intelligence and kill people who are dangerous to U.S. interest
Brenda
Jan 16, 2010 Brenda rated it really liked it
This book came to me through my "Read-n-Swap" group. I was in the mood for a spy thriller. This author's writing really held my attention. I loved the twists and turns in the story. I also enjoyed the change of narriators in this book. I would recommend this book to readers who are looking for a thriller with a touch of romance.
Leslea
Apr 27, 2015 Leslea rated it liked it
This was the old "I married a spy and didn't know" type of story. It was a good read but nothing to knock my socks off. Lovely flowing writing and I enjoyed Kate's growth in character and strength as the book progressed. Would probably make a great movie.
Susan
Jul 15, 2013 Susan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller, mystery, fiction
Reread The Good Liar and found it especially enjoyable amid reports about NSA surveillance. "The Trust ... really flourished after Watergate, after laws were passed that curtailed the NSA, CIA and FBI.... It had been simple to design false intel to make it look as if Naponi was supporting Muslim terrorists who would soon target the United States.... The Trust was supposed to be a watchdog, a silent protector of the United States.... When had the organization begun to slip?"

Institutions that all
Kimmay
Aug 16, 2011 Kimmay rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
This is not my usual genre of choice, but i needed something different & not heavy to fill some space between my usual books.

I went into this book not expecting much, but the book was a smooth read.

I would say it is a good solid read for this genre. Would i read more by this author? Sure, if i need another filler book. Like i said it is not my genre, but she is a smooth writer, much smoother than some of the "big" name authors out there.

I am giving it a good solid three stars, which i am t
Christina (AKA Babbling)
Mar 16, 2008 Christina (AKA Babbling) rated it really liked it
Quoted from my review @ http://misscz.wordpress.com

Comments: Though Kate was the main character of the book, I was more interested in Liza. I was never worried that Kate and Michael’s relationship would fall apart beyond repair. But Liza’s journey — and Michael’s professional quandaries — had me turning the pages. That doesn’t mean I thought Kate was unnecessary to the story. Far from it. As Liza’s best friend and the love of Micheal’s life, many of their actions are influenced by their feelings
Poppy
Oct 02, 2008 Poppy rated it liked it
Got a bit predictable, but it was fun most of the way through.
*******

A quick (and I didn't think that was possible anymore!) read. Not earth-shattering yet, but a fun novel of intrigue, international spies, james bond-ish and written by a woman so not full of most of the too-technical jargon that a lot of spy novels get mired in (in my most humble opinion.) I'm especially excited by how FAST of a book it is. I've read over 150 pages since Sunday! And I've not spent a lot of time reading it eithe
Linnet
Apr 01, 2016 Linnet rated it it was ok
Kate's recovering from her divorce when her best friend Liza introduces her to Michael. Kate and Michael hit it off, so well that they marry, with Liza was maid-of-honor. It isn't long before Kate is beginning to wonder what she's done. Life with Michael is odd, he's away too much, he seems to have meetings with unusual people, he always wants to walk and talk, and what's with those odd white discs that are on the window sills?
Arthur Davis
Aug 19, 2013 Arthur Davis rated it really liked it
This book was a quick exciting read. The characters are really well developed, but are portrayed as fairly clueless at times though they are supposed to be very smart. Locales are well described without being overdone or seeming clunky. The build is not slow and the hunger to know more about what is happening makes this a real page turner. With lots of twists and turns this book was really engrossing and I would recommend it to fans of mystery and espionage novels.
Patt
May 27, 2013 Patt rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery-suspense
A real page-turner! Kate meets Michael, who unbeknownst to her is not really who he appears to be. Michael is a member of The Trust, an organization that attempts to eliminate people who are a threat to the United States. The action travels from Chicago to St. Marabel, Canada, to Rio and to Moscow. No one is who or what they appear to be. A surprise ending clinches an exciting story.
Gina
May 14, 2008 Gina rated it liked it
I rarely read thrillers (probably hadn't since I was 13), but this was another that I read for my book club, and I found that writers outside the thriller genre can learn a lot about pacing and tautness from reading these books. Even as I was claiming such books are not really "my thing," boy did I keep turning the pages . . . It was like reading General Hospital or something! Decadent fun.
Denise Whelan
May 19, 2013 Denise Whelan rated it it was amazing
The Good Liar was an intriguing book to read. It was hard to put down once I got into the swing of it, but I am so glad I bought this book! I am a big fan of Laura Caldwell and she did not disappoint with this book. The secrets, the psychotic attitude of one of the Trust's board members, to hopefully having it all work at the end, was just fantastic!
Ladiibbug
Oct 02, 2008 Ladiibbug rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Romantic Suspense fans
Romantic suspense - stand alone

Excellent international thriller ... off-the-books private CIA-like organization.

Solid, complex plot, kept me guessing, lots of twists ... hard to put down!

Locations from Chicago to Montreal to Russia, Finland, Rio ... let's see how long I can go before I read the other romantic suspense this versatile author has written!
Cathy Austin
Apr 25, 2016 Cathy Austin rated it liked it
Definitely a thrilling page turner. Called a 'suspenser' in reviews, this lightweight mystery has a plot that is pretty tricky and nicely played out. Lots of 'aha' moments, likeable characters in Kate, Michael and Liza. Various settings round out the storyline and the conclusion is well done.
Seana
Feb 22, 2014 Seana rated it liked it
Not the highest quality literature that I've ever read, but an involving conspiracy nonetheless. There's espionage, romance, revenge and a thick plot - until the last 20 pages. Just a little disappointed at how this wrapped up.
Cherry-Ann
Oct 13, 2013 Cherry-Ann rated it liked it
Not such a fast pace read. Started to get a bit annoyed with the flashbacks though I suppose this was the best way it could have been handled. A bit deja vu but a good read nonetheless.
Jennifer Horner
Oct 12, 2012 Jennifer Horner rated it really liked it

Very suspenseful.. Very good interesting read and I normally don't enjoy spy type books .
Nancy
Sep 11, 2016 Nancy rated it it was ok
Nice HEA ending which I expect from a HQN published book but not my cup of tea.
Kathy Andrzejewski
Oct 29, 2016 Kathy Andrzejewski rated it liked it
Reminiscent of The Firm
Kari
Apr 02, 2008 Kari rated it it was amazing
Read a few lines...& never put it down until it was over...very well done.
Sara
Mar 24, 2013 Sara rated it it was ok
Shelves: gave-up-reading
Just not interesting enough. Easy read but doesn't keep me engaged. Disappointing because I loved her other book "Burning the Map."
Beverly Mccarter
May 08, 2013 Beverly Mccarter rated it it was amazing
i really enjoyed this book. it reminded me of a movie the way she wrote it. very interesting. i suggest u read it.
Carrie
Mar 22, 2010 Carrie rated it liked it
This book was pretty suspenseful and I enjoyed it. It was not quite as good as her book Clean Slate which I highly recommend.
Jayne
Jayne rated it liked it
Dec 12, 2015
Angie
Angie rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2011
Bruce
Bruce rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2011
Angela
Angela rated it liked it
Sep 14, 2014
Jen
Jen rated it really liked it
Dec 17, 2015
Racheli Bensky
Racheli Bensky rated it it was amazing
Sep 13, 2011
Catalina
Catalina rated it it was amazing
Dec 07, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Puppet Master
  • A Cold Day in Hell (Bayou #9)
  • The Tenth Case (Jaywalker, #1)
  • The Murderers' Club (Sophie Anderson, #2)
  • The Guilty (Henry Parker, #2)
  • Deep Down
  • Silver Falls
  • Gilding Lily
  • Don't Cry Now
  • The Death List
  • Touching Stars (Shenandoah Album)
  • Grab Bag
  • Firefall
  • Murder Among the OWLS (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #14)
  • Home Invasion
  • The Cleveland Connection (Milan Jacovich, #4)
  • What Men Want
  • Love and Honor
Laura Caldwell is a Chicago-based lawyer turned novelist. Her first book, Burning the Map, was selected by Barnes & Noble.com as one of The Best of 2002. Following that, A Clean Slate received a starred review from Booklist. The release of The Year of Living Famously and The Night I Got Lucky prompted Booklist to declare, “Caldwell is one of the most talented and inventive...writers around.”

La
More about Laura Caldwell...