Start by marking “The Good Liar” as Want to Read:
The Good Liar

The Good Liar

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  160 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Kate Livingston and Liza Kingsley have been best friends since their childhood in the suburbs of Chicago. They know everything about each other. Or do they?When Liza sets up the newly divorced Kate with Michael Waller, an elegant man sixteen years her senior, neither woman expects Kate to fall for him so soon. The relationship is a whirlwind that enthralls Kate…and frighte ...more
Published January 1st 2008 by Mira (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Good Liar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Good Liar

Brenda
This book came to me through my "Read-n-Swap" group. I was in the mood for a spy thriller. This author's writing really held my attention. I loved the twists and turns in the story. I also enjoyed the change of narriators in this book. I would recommend this book to readers who are looking for a thriller with a touch of romance.
Susan
Reread The Good Liar and found it especially enjoyable amid reports about NSA surveillance. "The Trust ... really flourished after Watergate, after laws were passed that curtailed the NSA, CIA and FBI.... It had been simple to design false intel to make it look as if Naponi was supporting Muslim terrorists who would soon target the United States.... The Trust was supposed to be a watchdog, a silent protector of the United States.... When had the organization begun to slip?"

Institutions that all
Jane Stewart
Wow. Surviving. Winning. Powerful events. Intrigue. Neat twists. Surprises. CIA-type suspense thriller.

REVIEWER’S OPINION:
There is not a lot of romance, but romance was an underlying current. The couple falls in love quickly, so we don’t see the slow development of a relationship, but it was good. After they got together, their relationship was like a third character, being tested, changing, and interacting with the plot. I loved some things Kate did near the end. There were some unexpected conv
Kimmay
This is not my usual genre of choice, but i needed something different & not heavy to fill some space between my usual books.

I went into this book not expecting much, but the book was a smooth read.

I would say it is a good solid read for this genre. Would i read more by this author? Sure, if i need another filler book. Like i said it is not my genre, but she is a smooth writer, much smoother than some of the "big" name authors out there.

I am giving it a good solid three stars, which i am t
Christina (AKA Babbling)
Quoted from my review @ http://misscz.wordpress.com

Comments: Though Kate was the main character of the book, I was more interested in Liza. I was never worried that Kate and Michael’s relationship would fall apart beyond repair. But Liza’s journey — and Michael’s professional quandaries — had me turning the pages. That doesn’t mean I thought Kate was unnecessary to the story. Far from it. As Liza’s best friend and the love of Micheal’s life, many of their actions are influenced by their feelings
Seana
Not the highest quality literature that I've ever read, but an involving conspiracy nonetheless. There's espionage, romance, revenge and a thick plot - until the last 20 pages. Just a little disappointed at how this wrapped up.
Poppy
Got a bit predictable, but it was fun most of the way through.
*******

A quick (and I didn't think that was possible anymore!) read. Not earth-shattering yet, but a fun novel of intrigue, international spies, james bond-ish and written by a woman so not full of most of the too-technical jargon that a lot of spy novels get mired in (in my most humble opinion.) I'm especially excited by how FAST of a book it is. I've read over 150 pages since Sunday! And I've not spent a lot of time reading it eithe
Arthur Davis
This book was a quick exciting read. The characters are really well developed, but are portrayed as fairly clueless at times though they are supposed to be very smart. Locales are well described without being overdone or seeming clunky. The build is not slow and the hunger to know more about what is happening makes this a real page turner. With lots of twists and turns this book was really engrossing and I would recommend it to fans of mystery and espionage novels.
Gina
I rarely read thrillers (probably hadn't since I was 13), but this was another that I read for my book club, and I found that writers outside the thriller genre can learn a lot about pacing and tautness from reading these books. Even as I was claiming such books are not really "my thing," boy did I keep turning the pages . . . It was like reading General Hospital or something! Decadent fun.
Patt
A real page-turner! Kate meets Michael, who unbeknownst to her is not really who he appears to be. Michael is a member of The Trust, an organization that attempts to eliminate people who are a threat to the United States. The action travels from Chicago to St. Marabel, Canada, to Rio and to Moscow. No one is who or what they appear to be. A surprise ending clinches an exciting story.
Ladiibbug
Oct 02, 2008 Ladiibbug rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Romantic Suspense fans
Romantic suspense - stand alone

Excellent international thriller ... off-the-books private CIA-like organization.

Solid, complex plot, kept me guessing, lots of twists ... hard to put down!

Locations from Chicago to Montreal to Russia, Finland, Rio ... let's see how long I can go before I read the other romantic suspense this versatile author has written!
Denise Whelan
The Good Liar was an intriguing book to read. It was hard to put down once I got into the swing of it, but I am so glad I bought this book! I am a big fan of Laura Caldwell and she did not disappoint with this book. The secrets, the psychotic attitude of one of the Trust's board members, to hopefully having it all work at the end, was just fantastic!
Cherry-Ann
Not such a fast pace read. Started to get a bit annoyed with the flashbacks though I suppose this was the best way it could have been handled. A bit deja vu but a good read nonetheless.
Sara
Just not interesting enough. Easy read but doesn't keep me engaged. Disappointing because I loved her other book "Burning the Map."
Carrie
This book was pretty suspenseful and I enjoyed it. It was not quite as good as her book Clean Slate which I highly recommend.
Beverly Mccarter
i really enjoyed this book. it reminded me of a movie the way she wrote it. very interesting. i suggest u read it.
Penny
The story interesting if not earth shattering. A good solid story but nothing extraordinary.
Jennifer Horner

Very suspenseful.. Very good interesting read and I normally don't enjoy spy type books .
Manuela
It had some unexpected twists and turns , enjoyed and did not want to put down!!!!
Tory Ferrera
Fast-paced but easy to follow, I enjoyed this suspense book from Laura Caldwell.
Jewelz
Aug 16, 2008 Jewelz rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jewelz by: friend
So far the book has gotten better as I read into it more, i think its a great story!!
Lisa
realized 2 pages in that I'd already read this book. HATE when that happens!!!
Kari
Read a few lines...& never put it down until it was over...very well done.
Melinda
A quick and easy read that never gets convoluted! Great writing!
Lady Di
Lady Di marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
Angela Jarvis
Angela Jarvis marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • A Cold Day in Hell
  • The Tenth Case
  • The Guilty (Henry Parker, #2)
  • A Time To Die (The Protectors, #29)
  • Deep Down
  • The Murderers' Club (Sophie Anderson, #2)
  • Silver Falls
  • Touching Stars (Shenandoah Album)
  • Don't Cry Now
  • The Death List
  • Gilding Lily
  • The Hunted
  • The Liar's Diary
  • Die Before I Wake
  • Murder Among the OWLS (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #14)
  • Miss Marple Meets Murder: The Mirror Crack'd / A Pocket Full of Rye / At Bertram's Hotel / The Moving Finger
  • F2f (R)
  • Willing
Laura Caldwell is a Chicago-based lawyer turned novelist. Her first book, Burning the Map, was selected by Barnes & Noble.com as one of The Best of 2002. Following that, A Clean Slate received a starred review from Booklist. The release of The Year of Living Famously and The Night I Got Lucky prompted Booklist to declare, “Caldwell is one of the most talented and inventive...writers around.”

La
More about Laura Caldwell...
The Year of Living Famously Burning The Map A Clean Slate Red Hot Lies (An Izzy McNeil Mystery #1) The Night I Got Lucky