Confessions of a Hostie: True Stories of an International Flight Attendant

Confessions of a Hostie: True Stories of an International Flight Attendant

3.27 of 5 stars 3.27  ·  rating details  ·  99 ratings  ·  35 reviews
If you have ever wondered what it would be like to be a jet-setting hostie, or international flight attendant, then spending a little time in Danielle's life is a captivating journey. You might be surprised and shocked to discover many of the truths behind the lifestyle as well as the incidences and behaviour of passengers at 30,000 feet. In this updated edition, which fea...more
Published October 1st 2013 by Monsoon Books (first published July 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Confessions of a Hostie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Confessions of a Hostie

Sandra Theberge
"Confessions of A Hostie: True Stories of an International Flight Attendant" was a fun, entertaining book written by Danielle Hugh. The book is full of amusing stories about Hugh 's travels to exotic and not so exotic locations, unruly passengers, the affairs of her coworkers, her adventures in glamorous cities around the world and battling constant jetlag. This was an insider's look at an industry that is not nearly as glamorous as most of us assume. This humorous, lighthearted book would make...more
CL (www.loveisastateofmind.net)
Received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

2.5*

As a big fan of airports and air travel, I was looking forward to reading this and getting an insight into the life of a flight attendant. Did it live up to expectations?

Sort of. The eye-opening tales are included such as the incident with the Polynesian man, what hosties do to get revenge on high maintenance passengers, not to mention the drinking, partying and infidelity in the downtime.

H...more
Kim D
Not just bad...bordering on terrible.
I am unsure of the author's national origin. If she is American or Canadian, she employs a pathetic use of British spelling and slang periodically. It does not add a suave, Continental flavor. it adds pretension. If she IS in fact British, she should sack her editor. (Oh. Sorry. Fire/dismiss/&!@#can her editor.)
Kirstie
I was surprised by how much I actually enjoyed this book. I downloaded it for free from the iBook store thinking, eh why not? But upon opening to the first page . . . well, what a lovely surprise. This book is a little gem that enlightens you to the not-so-glamourous side of being a "hostie". Danielle brings us through her story from alcoholic friends, dealing with hangovers and jet lag, exotic locations, shopping sprees, boy problems and troublesome passengers.

There are truly some hilarious sto...more
Sanjeev
Would you find it entertaining or vexing if flight crew takes revenge on a rude passenger by falsely tipping them off to Customs for search? Or that hostie is worried that if a sick passenger dies she will have to do lot of paperwork? Or a female flight attendant gets upset when a married male colleague is not responding when she is hitting on him?

The book is full of stories of bad behavior by airline flight crew (and passengers) including flight attendants farting in plane toilets, having sex o...more
Harn
Content was good but writing style a huge buzzkill. Writer makes herself sound like an airhead; a little difficult to get past.
Ea
So.. the content was nice. Quite amusing, even. At times, anyway. So, why the low rating? Let me tell you why:
"I grimace, and then flash him a half-smile, displaying acting skills that should win me an Academy Award, or at least the nomination.

I realise that is not the best example, but it sort of gives you an idea of what kind of writing we're dealing with. I had 50SOG-flashbacks more than once.

That being said, there's quite some interesting little anecdotes hidden in this one, and it gives y...more
Margaret Madden
Excert from BleachHouseLibrary.Blogspot.ie

I received a copy of this from Net Galley for review purposes.

Ever wondered what those glamorous Cabin Crew get up to when they land? What they are really thinking as they pass over the drinks and do their safety demonstrations? As I worked for an airline for 11 years, I already knew the answers to these questions but as I was based on the ground, I was curious to see if it was different in the air.....

Danielle Hugh ( not her real name ) has written a sh...more
Yuska Vonita

I received a copy of this book from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I've read a book about stewardess memoir, Cruising Attitudes, and I loved it. This book is no exception.

There are parts that made me say eeewwww... Being a hostie is no difference than being a nurse. I agree, stewardess is a complete package. I used to think being a flight attendant was glamorous. But, after reading two books about hostie, na-ah. You have to be a tough lady to be a flight attendant.

I...more
Tara Chevrestt
I liked some of this and didn't like some of it. It's about 50/50. The first half made me laugh or chuckle and was told in a witty manner. I appreciated some of the irritating passenger stories and learning a flight attendant's schedule and how easy it is to get sick and all that, but really, I'm disappointed to say, not much of it really takes place on the plane/s.

She goes on and on about shopping. I got so sick and tired of hearing about her shopping. To be honest, she came across as a snot, e...more
Eustacia Tan
This was an extremely light-hearted book that I finished in two days. Like the title says, it's a real-life account of what it's like to be a flight attendant (loosely given narrative form with a sense of time), although partly fictionalised to make sure that the writer doesn't lose it's job.

And when the title gives away more or less what the whole book is about, I guess the only thing that people want to know is: is this book worth reading? My answer is yes.

I've always thought that flight atten...more
Simone
When most people think of flight attendants they think "glamour" - after all they are always immaculately groomed, unfailingly polite (most of the time) and endlessly patient with the hundreds of travellers they interact with on a daily basis. Not to mention the fact their job involves endless travel to some of the most exciting and sophisticated cities in the world. On the surface it seems like an amazing job, but scratch beneath the surface and you soon discover it is certainly not all it is c...more
Teena in Toronto
I fly a bit and thought this book sounded interesting to give me the behind-the-scenes scoop on what it's like to be a flight attendant.

Is it as glamourous as it seems to be?

Danielle is an international flight attendant (aka "hostie") who gets to travel to places like Singapore, Japan and Hawaii (it doesn't say where she is based out of but it doesn't sound like it's North America). She knows where all the best shopping is, where the best bars are and where the best restaurants are. But in addit...more
As someone who flies often I find myself often wondering what fun behind the scenes action is going on with the flight attendants. I have seen a lot of zany things on flights and often wonder "How the hell does a flight attendant handle that asshole?"

Well this book let me get an insight into some of the fun stories, not just on the flights, but even while they are between flights.

I found myself giggling, groaning, laughing & sympathetic multiple times in this book.

This book touched my hea...more
Vicky Hall-newman

i knew this was going to be a good book when i read the first page and it was Danielle saying how she woke up in a hotel room, not knowing where she was and being hungry so she reached for a chocolate bar, but before he could finish the chocolate bar she fell asleep and woke up some hours later with chocolate over her face and peanut indents too - lets face it many of us can relate to this, but would never admit it.

When you read this book you feel like you are up there 30,000 ft in the air with...more
Online Eccentric Librarian
I have read really good books about aviation recently (e.g. Cockpit Confidential) and as a frequent international flier, I was looking forward to learning more about what goes on behind each flight. But admittedly, the title is really what you get - one woman's confessions about drinking, shopping, sex, her friends on and off flights, and revenge on annoying passengers. Yet surprisingly, as salacious as that sounds, it really isn't that fun to read.

Danielle Hugh (not her real name) is an interna...more
Dani Chakra
*I received a free e-copy of this book from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

This book was a quick and easy read and I have to say I enjoyed it quite a bit. Danielle Hugh has a light writing style and flair that keeps you hooked. Unfortunately, in describing her adventures she can sometimes appear superficial and materialistic and at times makes herself out to be a bit of an airhead (excuse the pun). Though there were a fair number of spelling mistakes in the e-copy t...more
Nancy The book junkie
Rating: 3.5/5

First thanks to Monsoon books for providinng me with a copy of this book via netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I had a terrific time reading this book! It’s hard to believe the way people can behave sometimes, but I worked with the public and I have a friend who worked as a flight attendant for a couple of years…let’s just say that peoples can act like jackass when they paid for something and they think they’ll never see you again!

Danielle Hugh tells her stories with parts...more
SE Stone
Imagine a job that includes jet-setting across the globe, staying in luxurious 5-star hotels, and shopping in a different international city every week. It doesn’t sound like a real job. But take into consideration the task of serving cranky passengers at 30,000 feet, and that is the world of an international flight attendant. In Confessions of a Hostie, Danielle Hugh shares stories from her twenty years in the profession. She pulls back the galley curtain to give readers a glimpse into her life...more
Viktoria Jean
"Caffeine is not a drug - it's a vitamin. Comedian Steven Wright makes a joke about how he first makes an instant coffee just so he has the energy to go ahead and make a regular one."

Confessions of a Hostie is truly laugh out loud funny! Life of a flight attendant is more than serving coffee/tea at 35,000 feet - Danielle Hugh exposes the behind-the-scenes scandals, real-life anecdotes, and unfortunate mishaps of a cabin crew.

The novel starts with Danielle Hugh waking up in a hotel room, not know...more
Martina Clark
If you’re at all like me, you sometimes watch the on-board crew and wonder what their lives are really like – who are they really? This new memoir, Confessions of a Hostie, gives you a light-hearted chance to find out. Our narrator, Danielle, takes you along for several journeys during which we get to find out a few insider tricks while in-flight, how to shop in a pinch, plenty of gossip and, most interestingly, an insight into how they – the hosties – view us, the passengers. Set mainly in the...more
Kimberly Fisher
A great beach read: funny, light-hearted and entertaining. I found myself laughing out loud to Danielle's wit as she jet-sets her way around the world...and in the process deals with unruly passengers, jet lag and inevitable life of a flight attendant or "hostie".
Naomi-beth
Fantastic

Fantastic

this book kept me interested all the way through. I did not want to put it down. can't wait to read the next installment.
Lyn
Funny and Entertaining
What started out as a laugh aloud funny tale quickly turned into a tough read. Something has been lost in the translation to English. I keep thinking it was written as a high school project where the student wanted us to know how really wild they were – when indeed they weren’t. The ending was a nice recovery and we can only hope that Danielle finishes out her career in style. A perfect book to read during a layover or short flight – it will make you appreciate and be kinde...more
Tally
Danielle Hugh writes in a witty way about the ups and down of life in the air. It is definitely a light read, and her tone is breezy and chatty, which makes it perfect for a flight or a holiday read. She talks about many aspects of flight attendant life I had no idea about, and reveals quite a bit about the challenges of constant time-zone changes, living out of hotel rooms and never-ending jetlag. That said, she absolutely loves her job - though not always the passengers, who do, according to h...more
Karen
Reading some of the other reviews on this book really makes me wonder...

I thought this book was horrible. Poorly written, uninteresting prose, and not particularly illuminating regarding the industry. I almost wonder if the version I got from NetGalley wasn't the complete book, but I'm pretty sure it was.

Sorry. I don't have another flight industry memoir to recommend, but if you're looking for a scathing look at a different area of the service industry check out "Heads on Beads."
Kerri Sackville
This is a rollicking good read with some laugh out loud stories about life behind the scenes on international flights. It is also appallingly written. In some sections every second sentence ends with an exclamation mark! Oh yes they do! There are grammatical errors (eg ''the men THAT ...'), typos, repetition etc. Never have I read a more in more dire need of editing. Oh, and the ending doesn't ring true. Shame, cause it's fun stuff.
Vicki Jaeger
Jan 12, 2014 Vicki Jaeger rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Vicki by: advance reading copy
It was an okay read, though I expected it to be a bit juicier based on the use of "Confessions" in the title. An interesting walk in the shoes of a modern-day stewardess.
Mark
Enjoyable yarn which demonstrates that someone can be part way along a learning curve even with experience in the subject that they are learning. Some of Danielle's customer experiences resonate with encounters I have endured at the hands of irrational and unreasonable customers, however Danielle's tales are somewhat funnier than I remember!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
More Confessions of a Hostie: The Second Sector Confessions of a Hostie - A Shopper's Guide to Asia (with bonus section on Australia & Pacific) Confessions of a Hostie: A Shopper's Guide to the USA