Start by marking “Radio Iris” as Want to Read:
Radio Iris

Anne-Marie Kinney

Radio Iris

3.16  ·  Rating Details  ·  216 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews
Radio Iris follows Iris Finch, a twenty-something socially awkward daydreamer and receptionist at Larmax, Inc., a company whose true function she doesn't understand (though she's heard her boss refer to himself as "a businessman").

Gradually, her boss' erratic behavior becomes even more erratic, her coworkers begin disappearing, the phone stops ringing, making her role at L
Published May 15th 2012 by Two Dollar Radio

To ask other readers questions about Radio Iris, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Radio Iris

Manfred
Jul 26, 2012 Manfred rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was mostly a misfire for me, it was like some dreamy druggy Nico song that went on for 200 pages. The author definitely has skill but in service of what, exactly? Maybe I'm old school but a novel needs to tell a story, not just toss some atmosphere in your general direction. I kept reading because I was waiting to develop an interest in any of the characters, but that never happened. It was never compelling reading and Kinney seemed to go to lengths to make uninteresting daily chores a ...more
Scott
Nov 04, 2012 Scott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book, an impressive depiction of contemporary loneliness in daily office work. Iris is a receptionist in an office that seems to have almost no one working there and a distant boss who doesn't seem to be up to anything in particular. Iris sees things differently, choosing to notice details that most people don't - to the point where it alienates her from most people. She lives in minor details and daydreams about them for much of the novel, which is the novel's biggest strength. By paying ...more
Miranda
This whole book was weird. I kept waiting for a plot to develop and though it started to get into some back story on the main character it was underdeveloped and left you waiting for more. The ending was extremely bizarre and I have no idea what even happened. Maybe it was supposed to be a metaphor for something but, if so, I didn't get it. I wouldn't really recommend this book to anyone unless you're just looking for something to fill your time. It left me unsatisfied, to say the least.
Holly
Sep 27, 2012 Holly rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I am still not sure what the plot of the story was and kept reading waiting for something to happen that never came. Not the best book I've ever read.
Lori
Apr 11, 2012 Lori rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
From publisher for review

Read 4/4/12 - 4/8/12
4 Stars - Strongly Recommended to fans of whimsical writing with slightly unnerving, twisting tension
Pgs: 209
Publisher: Two Dollar Radio
Release Date: May 2012

I was first made aware of Anne-Marie Kinney's debut novel Radio Iris when Two Dollar Radio submitted it back in December as their Indie Book Buzz feature. It sounded absolutely amazing and I was desperate to get my hands on it.

I mean, a book about a socially awkward receptionist working for a co
Nina
Mar 25, 2013 Nina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The best way to describe my rating is to say I liked the mood Kinney set with her prose. The setting/subject matter was mundane (9-5 office life) on purpose, described with such detail that anyone who's been a desk jockey can relate, but with a bit of a dream-like, fantastical quality. Iris is fascinating and complicated, and I feel like I never totally figured her out. I look forward to seeing what this author produces in the future.
Joe Milazzo
Aug 12, 2012 Joe Milazzo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A novel that, with quiet assurance, estranges us from many of the rules and expectations that have come to define the form. There's something Bartelby-like about the titular heroine -- her loneliness, her relationship to both vocation and workplace -- but the nausea (Sartre, not Exene) that suffuses the book is both completely original and rather beautiful.
Andrew Miller
Feb 03, 2015 Andrew Miller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In Radio Iris, author Anne-Marie Kinney has managed to capture the low fidelity hum that office life can take on. This book however is never monotone, and is definitely not monotonous, as it plays with the reader's desire to understand what Iris is experiencing in her reality, versus what she's managing to amplify through her imagination. The characters are all charmingly quirky instead of absurd, and the mysteries Iris allows her imagination to explore around these individuals kept me engaged t ...more
Beth
Aug 22, 2012 Beth rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
oooooooooooooo ........... don't know the last time i read a book where i waited for the entire book for it to get "better". this book was nonsensical and depressing. don't bother.
Ashley
Sep 27, 2012 Ashley rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I can honestly say that I feel dumber after reading this book. Don't waste the time and effort it might take you to turn the page.
Joyce
Sep 08, 2012 Joyce rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is reminiscent of The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake by Aimee Bender but not nearly as good. Iris and her brother Neil are both alienated from life. Neil is too intense, Iris's heartbeat could barely register on a stethoscope. Iris wants to relate to Neil, Neil wants - what? Only to fly, I guess. In Lemon Cake the main character had taste as her only significant sense, Iris has hearing, particularly music, specifically - for a woman in her mid twenties - a love of Oldies. She loves d ...more
Susie
I gave this book 3.95/5 stars on InsatiableBooksluts.com. A digital ARC was provided to me by Two Dollar Radio.

Review Excerpt:

"Kinney’s writing is lovely, striking a delicate balance among ennui, existential terror, and the pioneer spirit that comes out when one has nothing at all left to lose. The whole time I was reading the book, though, I was struck with how much it reminded me of the novella Shopgirl by Steve Martin. Both protagonists were young-lady loners who were reaching out for somethi
Gregg Sapp
I've known women like Iris, the introverted heroine of Anne-Marie Kinney's "Radio Iris." They often come to work in the morning with wet hair. They don't always answer the question that you asked them. They have innate intelligence that gets thwarted by a brief attention span.

Yes, I've known women like Iris... but I've never had much of a clue about what makes them tick. This book helps by getting into Iris's head, but even so, she remains a bit of a mystery. Iris can be a sharp observer, even
Morgan
Dec 06, 2012 Morgan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Iris is a strange young woman. Not everyone will be able to relate to her extreme social anxiety and introversion. However, more than anything this a novel about overcoming apathy and seeking a purpose in the mundane, workaday world, knowledge of death always on the periphery, and I can't imagine anyone who wouldn't relate to that.

I found myself falling easily into Iris's routine. Then, she becomes an impromptu detective of sorts, and I happily followed her in the breakdown of this routine. The
Randi Strauss
I enjoyed reading this book, but I have no idea what it was about. The storyline is all but nonexistent but I still loved the extremely sensory writing style. Would not reread.
Liv
It's been nearly a week since I read this strange little novel, and I haven't quite shaken it from my mind just yet. Radio Iris is a difficult story to describe. It's both realistic and surreal, simple and meandering. Dreamy and grounded.

I wasn't quite sure what to make of it when I read it. I'm still not sure, even. I think I may have loved it, although I can't quite pinpoint why. Fans of Aimee Bender -and particularly Alexis M. Smith's similarly dreamy little novel Glaciers- should find Radio
Dana Brown
A convincing story that I could relate to right up till it fell apart and lost me. Disappointing.
Natalie Hamilton
Aug 02, 2012 Natalie Hamilton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quirky, solitary Iris is the protagonist of this quiet, but compelling novel. The plot is by turns funny, charming, odd, vaguely sinister, and outright surreal. There is an overwhelming sense of the disconnectedness of our world, the anxiety of regular folks affected at a distance by the financial crisis, and the residue of childhood trauma. Kudos to Kinney for not taking any of the easy ways out in terms of plot resolution. A thoroughly enjoyable and engaging read.
Vicky
Oct 10, 2012 Vicky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the atmosphere in this book. The hum-drum day of a seemingly ordinary 20-something year old woman. Although, you could tell that something was going on underneath the surface (i.e. her dreams, visions, etc.) It had some laugh-out-loud moments, along with some confusing and dark moments. So, I really dug this book... all the way up until the end. Not quite sure what to make of it... how I feel about it... if I even got it...?

At any rate, very nice read!
Julia
Apr 24, 2016 Julia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, awp-2016
Quiet, unraveling, lovely, and a little insane. I loved it.
Laurel Beth
moody does not a novel make.
John
Nov 18, 2012 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library_books
I liked the chapters focusing on Iris's very quirky day-to-day life in the present, though wasn't so interested in the flashbacks to her youth, nor the chapters from the point-of-view of her brother. As for the as the conclusion goes, I think there was an allegory there, but can't be completely sure. Recommended for reading on the plane, etc. rather than a tackling a "novel" (as such).
Thomas Thonson
It wasn't great. Had some moments, but for the most part I felt outside of the story. I think that feeling of alienation was intentional, but it works against a reader's involvement. Also, it just wan't original enough to pull off some of the noirish attempts at style. It felt like someone's idea of a book rather than the thing itself.
Chelsea
Jan 03, 2014 Chelsea rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I severely disliked the book. I had to force myself to finish in hopes that it would get better; it did not. Awful.
Mandy
Jun 01, 2016 Mandy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was very strange, and I'm not even quite sure what the plot was supposed to be because it was all over the place. Yet for some reason, I liked it. Maybe it has to do with the fact that Iris is an administrative assistant/receptionist like me.
Courtney Brown
Dec 28, 2015 Courtney Brown rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, own
A strange, druggy, and ultimately kind of terrifying book--a grown up Weetzie Bat, if Weetzie Bat accidentally got an office job, but more about loneliness, and immersed in a weird punky western 1950's glamour.

I don't know if I liked it entirely, but I did enjoy it.
Rebecca
Sep 08, 2015 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-books
This short novel was a beautifully written and quirky tale of loneliness, connections, and some just plain weird stuff. I'm still puzzling over the ending, but it was a lovely read.
Lauren
Sep 06, 2012 Lauren rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
2.5 stars. Pretty words but no point to the story. I really liked the writing and the characters, but I wish there was more meat to the story, or at least a resolution to the plot.
Jena
Feb 23, 2013 Jena rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I liked Iris. This book felt incomplete, more like a novella than a novel. I think. But I really liked Iris. She was so fun, unpredictable, introverted. Whimsical.
Moonit
Jul 30, 2012 Moonit rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Unusual and compelling, with beautiful descriptions that make the ordinary seem extraordinary. The pacing snowballed towards the end, leaving me feeling exhilarated.
Do you often read small press books? 3 9 Nov 22, 2012 07:37PM
  • Four New Messages
  • The Odditorium: Stories
  • How to Get into the Twin Palms
  • Damascus
  • The Tender Hour of Twilight: Paris in the '50s, New York in the '60s: A Memoir of Publishing's Golden Age
  • Reticence
  • The Magnificent Spinster
  • Vandal Love: A Novel
  • The Story of Avis
  • The Mad Mask (Archvillain, #2)
  • Crapalachia: A Biography of a Place
  • Paper Conspiracies
  • Sword & Blood: The Vampire Musketeers
  • Breakfast at Midnight
  • The Girl
  • The Speed Chronicles
  • Syzygy, Beauty: An Essay
  • Accessible Love Stories
Anne-Marie Kinney's work has appeared in Black Clock, Indiana Review, and Keyhole, and has been performed at Los Angeles's Word Theatre. Her debut novel, Radio Iris, was published by Two Dollar Radio in May, 2012.

Read a free excerpt of Radio Iris here: http://twodollarradio.com/books-forth...
More about Anne-Marie Kinney...