Start by marking “The Weird World of Eerie Publications: Comic Gore That Warped Millions of Young Minds” as Want to Read:

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  42 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Eerie Publications' horror magazines brought blood and bad taste to America's newsstands from 1965 through 1975. Ultra-gory covers and bottom-of-the-barrel production values lent an air of danger to every issue, daring you to look at (and purchase) them.

"The Weird of World of Eerie Publications" introduces the reader to Myron Fass, the gun-toting megalomaniac publisher who
Published November 30th 2010 by Feral House (first published October 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Weird World of Eerie Publications, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Weird World of Eerie Publications

Angel Zapata
Finally, a comprehensive history of my favorite horror mag publisher of all time, Eerie Publications. I read it in one sitting. Yeah, I shed a happy tear.
Kurt Reichenbaugh
Guilty! as a twerpy, gawky kid in the 70's I would look at these gruesome and tasteless magazines in the racks and wish I had the change and guts to buy them. No way my parents would have let me take one home. Instead, I figured that if I'm going to get busted for having prohibited and forbidden magazines stashed away in my room, it might as well be the likes of OUI or Penthouse. If you're going to get in trouble, make it worth it! Anyway, this book is a nice look down memory lane for those of u ...more
David
Wow. After reading this, I felt like taking a tick bath. Eerie and its brethren were the crudest, low-brow magazines dealing with horror, true crime and the like. Poorly written fiction and salacious journalism, abominably executed artwork, an editor who carried a .45 tucked in his belt while he worked to destroy the moral fiber of our nation. There really isn't a modern equivalent anymore, in print anyway. One now has to find it on the Internet.

The book itself does a good job with the history
Eric Orchard
This book made me think publishing might be better now than it these books were being published. Yikes. Some parts are dry and I found some content didn't really pertain to horror comic fans. But the horror stuff is fascinating and the author lets you know that the book is dealing with material inferior to both EC and Warren. If anything there is too much detail. These comics were gruesome and cheap and often poorly drawn which makes them even more disturbing than the better crafted horror title ...more
Gary Shindler
If you're a fan of horror comics you will enjoy this. Maybe I'm old but I was kind of taken back by some of the explicit detail. It's interesting to see how derivative the industry could be especially stealing frames and recycling them via covers, stories, etc.
Scott Baker
The text is a little dry and sometimes drags -- I skipped through the 50-page chapter providing bios of all the Eerie Pu artists. But if you're a fan of the gory covers, this book is chock full of them, and for that alone it's worth the price.
Matt
Great book examining Eerie Publications, publishers of uber-trashy horror comics, some of which are responsible for my life-long love of the genre.
James J
great behind scenes book.wacky(cheap)publisher publishes wacky comics and makes a fortune.lots of great illustrations too.
Jacob
Public library copy.

Nice art reproductions with insightful and in-depth publishing history commentary.
Tiffany Overton
Tiffany Overton marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
Rodney Blair
Rodney Blair marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Hideo
Hideo marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
Jonny Sorgasm
Jonny Sorgasm marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2015
Arthur Graham
Arthur Graham marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Jon Sheffer
Jon Sheffer marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
Andy
Andy is currently reading it
Jan 02, 2015
Robert Marsh
Robert Marsh marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Cura
Cura added it
Nov 23, 2014
Donkey Hotei
Donkey Hotei marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
Pete R.
Pete R. marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Brent
Brent marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Worst of Eerie Publications The Weird Indexes of Eerie Publications Hey Kids, Comics!: True-Life Tales From The Spinner Rack Haunted Horror: Banned Comics from the 1950s