Start by marking “Wheels Within Wheels: The Making of a Traveller” as Want to Read:
Wheels Within Wheels: The Making of a Traveller
Preview

Wheels Within Wheels: The Making of a Traveller

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  135 ratings  ·  11 reviews
What is it that makes us who we are? In this beautifully written and searingly honest autobiography, the intrepid cyclist and traveller Dervla Murphy remembers her richly unconventional first thirty years. She describes her determined childhood self - strong-willed and beguiled by books from the first - her intermittent formal education and the intense relationship of an o ...more
Published October 18th 2011 by Eland (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Wheels Within Wheels, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wheels Within Wheels

Mukikamu
It’s not long ago that I mentioned that it would be interesting to know more about Dervla Murphy. Well, I hope all my wishes come through so quicklly. I got plenty of exciting travel volumes for my birthday and finished Wheels Within Wheels already. This autobiography from my admired Miss Murphy claryfies most issues about her life and about her motives for escape. Her tough childhood and stubborn personality all come through marvellously readibly in her book and I found it hard to put down. Her ...more
Ape
Dan Oconnell
Her unconventional growing-up in rural Ireland - 30's to 50's. Powerful. 50 mile by bike at age 11, set the plan for biking to India.
Amy
I really like this book! She is born the same year as my father, 1931, in Ireland. I've not read anything else by Dervla Murphy, and I can't remember how I heard about her. At the age of 31, Dervla set off by bicycle to India. It was 1962, definitely the pre-hippy, pre- vagabonding era. Her travel writing brought her renown, but her life prior to her extensive travels is highly interesting, especially given her immense ability to write. Wheels Within Wheels is her autobiography of her childhood ...more
Catherine
Already a huge Dervla Murphy fan, I came across this book about her unconventional upbringing in a charity shop and read it that afternoon. Her writing style is so engaging and enjoyable to read that I immediately felt that I wished to be her friend! And that I wanted to re-read her other immensely enjoyable books.
Rachel
Moving, well-written and unflinching self-examination. Read Full Tilt first and this explained much of her character and ability to live as she did.
Karen Cramer
I really enjoyed her honesty about her life. I have read two other of her travel stories. Both are quite incredible adventures. She travels alone and frequently on a bicycle. The travel was done in the 1960's. Although heading into her eighties she still travels extensively.
Peter Perhac
A great book, a must read for every Dervla fan, but! a bit too heavy on the IRA political stuff right from the beginning (i advise to skip/skim over this) and one major piece of information - one that I was so eager to find out about Dervla - was completely omitted. Bummer!
Jane Routley
This was a terrificially honest book. Dervlas love of cycling, her fraught relationship with her bed ridden mother and the birth of her child stays with me still after 20 years. Clearly a strong minded and independant woman.
Laurie
wonderful writer, read it over a long time period to savor. She was great in person at the Banff Mt book Festival a few years back. This is her memoirs and subtitled: the making of a traveller.
Sherri
In spite of having read her other books, when I read this one I discovered both a kindred spirit and a mentor.
Christine O'brien
Christine O'brien marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
Jana Botkin
Jana Botkin marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Juanita Sicktastic
Juanita Sicktastic marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Stephanie_papst
Stephanie_papst marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2015
Diana
Diana marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
Staci
Staci added it
Mar 06, 2015
Meg Metzler
Meg Metzler marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2015
Linda Barker
Linda Barker marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Aisling Healy
Aisling Healy marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Siobhan
Siobhan marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2014
Jennifer Love
Jennifer Love marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Wind in My Wheels: Travel Tales from the Saddle
  • Devoted Ladies
  • Miles from Nowhere
  • Where the Pavement Ends: One Woman's Bicycle Trip Through Mongolia, China & Vietnam
  • In the Name of the Father: The Story of Gerry Conlon of the Guildford Four
  • Love and War in the Apennines
  • Solomon Time: Adventures in the South Pacific
  • All Will Be Well: A Memoir
  • The God Squad
  • Danziger's Travels: Beyond Forbidden Frontiers (Paladin Books)
  • The Price of My Soul
  • Darwin and the Barnacle: The Story of One Tiny Creature and History's Most Spectacular Scientific Breakthrough
  • Strange Places, Questionable People
  • To School Through The Fields
  • By Any Means: His Brand New Adventure from Wicklow to Wollongong
  • 44: Dublin Made Me
  • Wild Geese (New Canadian Library)
  • Bridge Across My Sorrows
Dervla Murphy is an Irish touring cyclist and author of adventure travel books for over 40 years. She is best known for her 1965 book Full Tilt: Ireland to India With a Bicycle, about an overland cycling trip through Europe, Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan and India.

Murphy normally travels alone and unaided, without luxuries and depending on the hospitality of local people. When not travelling, Murph
More about Dervla Murphy...
Full Tilt: Ireland to India with a Bicycle Eight Feet in the Andes In Ethiopia with a Mule The Ukimwi Road Where the Indus Is Young: Walking to Baltistan