Start by marking “Full Tilt: Ireland to India with a Bicycle” as Want to Read:
Full Tilt: Ireland to India with a Bicycle

Full Tilt: Ireland to India with a Bicycle

4.02  ·  Rating Details ·  1,681 Ratings  ·  162 Reviews
When Dervla Murphy was ten, she was given a bicycle and an atlas, and within days she was secretly planning a trip to India. At the age of thirty-one, in 1963, she finally set off and this book is based on the daily diary she kept while riding through Persia, Afghanistan and over the Himalayas to Pakistan and India.
A lone woman on a bicycle (with a revolver in her trouser
Published May 14th 2014 by Eland (first published January 1st 1965)

To ask other readers questions about Full Tilt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Full Tilt

Sovotchka
There are very few occasions where my enjoyment of a book will depend on liking the protagonist of the story (or, in the case of nonfiction, the way the author portrays him- or herself). "Full Tilt" is such a case.

Dervla Murphy gives an account of her incredible journey, travelling from Ireland to India via bicycle (or rather, from Iran to India, because the first leg of the journey is dealt within the first twenty pages). She relies on her letters and diary entries, leaving them standing on th
Ambur
Jan 14, 2012 Ambur rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Finished....oh thank goodness! I'm so glad that I'm done this book. The only thing that kept me pushing through was the fact that I was reading it for a class.

I thought that Dervla's adventures were interesting, and that she was incredibly eager to get into the craziest situations, but I'm not a fan of her form of storytelling...at all. I understand it's in diary form, but I would have much preferred the focus to be on the environment, the different things that she describes as being beautiful,
Ruth
May 03, 2010 Ruth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really can't believe this woman. She goes on this crazy trip from Europe to India on a bicycle (leaving in the middle of winter), meets all sorts of sweet people (and a few jerks), lives on clover for days and nearly starves to death, gets sick and sunburnt multiple times, deals with nasty insects and bad sanitation and wild animals and human beaurocracies, climbs up and down mountains and drags her bike along (sometimes on her back) when the roads get bad, falls in and out of love with the cu ...more
Krishnan Srinivasarengan
Aug 05, 2015 Krishnan Srinivasarengan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel
This book left me with mixed feelings.

The high points are, the awesome journey, the grittiness of the lady and the authentic feel of the trip through day-to-day fluctuating emotions/thoughts. It surely gave a good picture of the 1960s in the middle east, Afghanistan and Pakistan and her non-judgemental attitude (which sometimes is a bit too patronizing) made the reading enjoyable.

The low points are: Near empty description about her journey in Europe and India (the Indian part of journey was ver
Mariann
Mõnus lugu vahva naise seiklustest! Autor kirjutas meie-vormis, pannes mind alguses mõtlema, kes on ta salapärane reisikaaslane, kuni sain aru, et see on ju ustav jalgratas Roz!

Üldse oli tegu väga õpetliku lugemisega. Mõned näited, mille võrra targemaks sain:
+ ära mine talvel jalgrattamatkale
+ saada ette vaadatud marsruudile varurehvid juba ette ootama
+ Aasias ei vaata juhid kunagi, kuhu sõidavad
+ Afganistanis ei tunta kella: eilne on möödas, tänast tuleb sekeldusteta nautida ja mis homsesse puu
Kevin Lanahan
May 13, 2012 Kevin Lanahan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: touring cyclists
I actually read a 1965 edition of this book, so I don't know if it has been edited in the intervening years or just reprinted.

This is a fascinating story of a woman's bicycle ride from Ireland to India. It glosses over the European journey (despite beginning in the dead of winter) and focuses on her time in Iran, Afghanistan and Pakistan. Despite many dire warnings about traveling in Muslim countries in the 60s, she went on and embraced their culture and hospitality.

There's a fair amount of "p
Alice
Oct 14, 2014 Alice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an incredible book - a wonderful description of cycling from Ireland to India, but specifically through Afghanistan and Pakistan. Some of Dervla's feats had my mouth hanging open as I read, and the scenery she describes is utterly fantastic - making me very sad that it's unlikely I'll be able to take such a trip in my lifetime! Having read some of Dervla's later works first I also found it really interesting how her thoughts moved on over time, for example on women in traditional Islamic ...more
Erica
Aug 30, 2015 Erica rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: global
I love the nonchalant way Dervla describes what was an incredibly challenging bike journey across Europe, and Central and South Asia in the 1960s. After reading her descriptions of the utter generosity of the Afghan and Pakistani people and the beauty of the landscapes, you'll be left with an appreciation for a region whose reputation has been sadly and unfairly marred post-9/11. While the very occasional racist terminology prevalent in the 60s might jar modern readers, her open and thoughtful p ...more
Lisett Vahesalu
Feb 17, 2016 Lisett Vahesalu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nii meeldis see raamat!
Tore oli lugeda, kuidas naine järjest neid kodumaalt kuuldud stereotüüpe maha raputas. Afganistaani kohta aina rohkem lugedes tunduvad sealsed inimesed tõesti inglistaatust omavat. Natuke hullumeelne, aga uskumatult sitke ja mõnusa maailmavaatega naine andis kuhjaga inspiratsiooni ja tegi südame soojaks.
Ene Sepp
Aug 01, 2015 Ene Sepp rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sellise reisi tegemiseks peab olema ikka heas mõttes hullumeelne. Hull ei ole mitte rattaga rännata, vaid hull on see, et sa alustad rattasõitu keset paganama külma talve... Aga muidu - tehke järgi, kes tahab! Samas, ma kardan, et kuna tema tegi oma reisi 1963.aastal ja sellest ajast on aega rohkelt mööda läinud, siis samasugune marsruut üksikule naisele ei ole vast enam ohutu. Tema kogemused olid muidugi pigem ülivõrdes (eriti Afganistan ja Pakistan) aga konfliktid, mis on antud piirkondasid lõ ...more
Rich Mulvey
I just finished this book, and am really torn about it.

On the one hand, Murphy is clearly to be admired for her take-no-prisoners approach to bike touring. She does more with less than most of us could possibly dream of. I would have been a worried mess in a lot of the situations she describes. She does an excellent job of describing the scenery and environment she passes through using simple but evocative imagery.

On the other hand, I find many of her attitudes to be annoying, if not downright l
Jeanette
Dec 23, 2016 Jeanette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At the age of 10 Dervla Murphy decided to ride a bicycle from Ireland to India - in 1963, at the age of 31, she set out to do it. After a month of trying to write letters to her friends, she decided to keep a journal instead. Full Tilt is this journal - as it was written - without only minor corrections in spelling and grammar. The first chapter is a summary of her journey from Dunkirk to Teheran - and it's only after a week or so of journaling that Dervla finds her stride as a diarist. For inst ...more
Daren
She certainly is a tough and determined woman, Dervla Murphy. In appallingly cold conditions and the start of her journey, and equally difficult hot conditions at the end, she shows she is not one to give up easily.
Written in diary form, she advises in the introduction, she resisted the temptation to heavily edit the book and introduce facts and statistics. This perhaps takes out some of the facts around her journey, but concentrates the content on the people and places as she encounters them.
Sh
Karen
Apr 05, 2017 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Diary of an amazing road trip in 1963 to countries that are constantly in the forefront of today's news and this book will make you think differently about them.
Insightful. The descriptions of her travels through the valleys and mountain passes make you feel like you are right there with her. I like the fact that she immerses herself in the cultures, doesn't want to be a tourist.
Maak Desai
May 03, 2015 Maak Desai rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
She has visited the most beautiful corner of the world. but , would have appreciated if she was a bit less anti-Indian. & 1 incident that forces me to believe that she should have her facts cleared before passing a judgement is---------------" on purely religious basis, Kashmir should be a part of Pakistan."

Firstly, 90% of common man in India & Pakistan DONT want this partition thing. Kashmir- you need to be there talk to the people on streets there to believe that if given an option the
Sarah Attwell
Mar 12, 2013 Sarah Attwell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book while cycle touring and it did the opposite of inspire me, it humbled me. As I read about her cycling greater distances than me in horrendous conditions on a single speed bike, wearing her bike and gear as a scarf while crossing glaciers, almost starving to death, all I could think was- I am not Dervla Murphy, and I will never be Dervla Murphy. The fact that all of this was done in a time when very different things were expected of a woman made it even more astonishing. She writ ...more
Elisabeth
I was expecting to like this book because I really enjoyed the one she wrote about her travels through Madagascar. That trip happened many years after this first one (Full Tilt), so she must have improved her storytelling style in the meantime.

The trip this book centers on was undoubtedly full of good material for an interesting narrative, but the book is presented in diary form. After a while, the details of what time she went to bed and woke up, what distance she rode each day, etc. become rep
Joyce
Jun 06, 2008 Joyce rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel
This is one rugged lady -- traveling by bicycle through a European winter, into Afghanistan and Pakistan in the early 60s. Her kit consists of a pair of nylon pants (attractive, I'm sure), an extra shirt, and a few spare tires for her bike -- but in listing the stuff she carries she never includes the packs of American cigarettes that she bestows as gifts AND smokes herself. Biking uphill in the Hindu Kush in 104 shadeless degrees, carrying your bike over miles of melting glacier... and stopping ...more
Jean
Jun 23, 2014 Jean rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How appropriate to read a book on bike touring while on a bike tour, even if it did make me feel like I wasn't quite measuring up to the author's standards - what with her 5am starts, 80 - 100 mile days, riding through deep sand, walking 20 miles sometimes, carrying her bike over glaciers, fending off wild dogs with a pistol, etc. This was all in the 1960's with a heavy bike of course.

Luckily she's a witty writer - very humble and very entertaining. I was awed by her tenacity and good humor thro
Frances Sawaya
Feb 02, 2013 Frances Sawaya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This woman has impressed me for decades, and now that she is into her 80s I find that I am still in awe of what she does. Ms. Murphy was the guest speaker at our local bookshop, The Crannog, and her sense of humility, integrity and honesty is quite something. Though her books are sorted on the Travel section, her commitment to values and understanding of human nature are more than mere logs of her journeys. Whenever I look at the on-line edition of CNN and see the ubiquitous lists of "ten best s ...more
Preili Pipar
Nagu pealkirigi ütleb, on tegemist rattaseiklusega Iirimaalt Indiasse. Tegemist päevikuvormis peetud memuaaridega. Üldjoontes oli raamatut täitsa huvitav lugeda ja eriti meeldis see, kuidas autor nautis reisil kohatud inimeste vahetut olemust ja samuti tõi välja ka need kohad, kus lääne maailma mõju oli inimestele juba mõju avaldanud.
Tohutult häiris, kui ühe päevakande osas oli vastuolusid. Need oleks võinud raamatuavaldamise käigus siiski likvideerida või seada päevategevus loogilisse järjekord
Jay J
Sep 25, 2011 Jay J rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best travel adventure books I have ever read. This woman rides her bicycle from Ireland to India back in 1965. The book has very little to do with bicycles, Ireland or India.
This true story is about this young womans travel adventures in Pakistan and Afghnistan in a time when a woman travelling alone would be most unusual in any country. It also reads like a detailed diary of all the unique families and communities who provided lodging/hospitality in some of the most extreme cultural
Rob Tapper
Jul 30, 2015 Rob Tapper rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating - nothing like a totally honest and accurate account of a real life adventure. More so, because of the guts and determination portrayed in such an humble manner of what would challenge even the most heroic of men, albeit in a woman incredible, if perhaps more readily excused. An keen eye for all aspects of physical and human nature added the descriptive genius.
Me being more or less of the times recounted, I found the perceptions of culture and the geopolitical situations all the more
Luke
Feb 27, 2012 Luke rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the 2nd Dervla Murphy book I've read and somehow I manage to find her extremely annoying whilst really enjoying the adventures she has and the observations she makes. Her constant disapproval of "Western" society gets tiresome and her disposition to believe in "the noble savage" gets old quickly. All that said what she experienced and saw is amazing and Central Asia has a certain fascination for me anyway.

Was very glad to borrow this from my local library.
Sean
Mar 27, 2009 Sean rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: quit-reading
This book was so bad I couldn't finish it. I used to suffer through anything I was reading but in my old age I've begun just dropping something that stops entertaining me and it's really liberating. I kept reading that it got better in the second half but it wasn't really worth getting there to me so I put it aside and I'm glad I did.
Sicofonia
Dervla, I loved the candid language you employed in your diary. However, mentioning time and again how smelly the natives you came across were took away a lot from the book.
Fair play to you for fulfilling one of your childhood dreams and doing such amazing trip though!
Bridget Simpson
Jul 01, 2015 Bridget Simpson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it, brilliant book, everyone must read it ;) Bizarre ending but that's ok. Gutsiest woman, an example to us soft urban types (speaking for myself). Dying to read her other books.
Rod MacLeod
Aug 16, 2015 Rod MacLeod rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A truly amazing story, courage, determination and perhaps foolhardiness. It gives a wonderful insight into the lives of people who will have changed so much in the last 50 years
Nate Briggs
May 29, 2015 Nate Briggs rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book begins as matter-of-factly as it ends: with Dervla Murphy announcing that—since it was her childhood ambition to ride a bicycle from her home in Ireland, to India—January of 1963 seemed as good a time as any to cross that item off her “To Do” list.

And so off she goes—totally alone—with nothing like the kit that a long-distance cyclist might carry now, on a bicycle that many of us would not consider sturdy enough for a jaunt to the Post Office and back.

The career of Travel Writer is an
Nabila
May 22, 2017 Nabila rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Reading this book reminds me of another book about "travelling" to Afghanistan that I read a few years ago. This book was published over forty years earlier than that other book, but I was struck by the similarity in how they described the Afghans: how generous they are towards guests, despite the fact that they're a hundred times poorer than the guests they're helping. It's unfair that this country had to be the victim of power play between two powerful countries.

The author is quite opinionated
  • News From Tartary
  • Travels into the Interior of Africa
  • The Royal Road to Romance: Travelers' Tales Classics
  • In Trouble Again: A Journey Between the Orinoco and the Amazon
  • The Valleys of the Assassins: and Other Persian Travels
  • Great Heart: The History of a Labrador Adventure
  • Slowly Down the Ganges
  • My Life as an Explorer
  • Scrambles Amongst the Alps (National Geographic Adventure Classics)
  • I Married Adventure: The Lives of Martin and Osa Johnson
  • The Road to Oxiana
  • Travels in West Africa
  • My Journey to Lhasa: The Classic Story of the Only Western Woman Who Succeeded in Entering the Forbidden City
  • Conquistadors Of The Useless
  • Travels in Arabia Deserta, Volume 1
  • Through the Brazilian Wilderness
  • Terra Incognita: Travels in Antarctica
  • Cooper's Creek
Dervla Murphy is an Irish touring cyclist and author of adventure travel books for over 40 years. She is best known for her 1965 book Full Tilt: Ireland to India With a Bicycle, about an overland cycling trip through Europe, Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan and India.

Murphy is a famous speaker and writer on Palestinian issues. She seeks the dissolution of Israel in its entirety.

Murphy normally travels
More about Dervla Murphy...

“For it is not death or hardship that is a fearful thing, but the fear of death and hardship.’ And” 2 likes
“the fact that she completely obscured his view of the road was quite irrelevant since Asian drivers never look where they're going.” 0 likes